Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
39,878 Posts
Martina Navratilova vs. :confused: ... probably Chris Evert.

Reactions: PLP

·
Premium Member
38,911 Posts
There's been a thread (maybe even more) on this subject already. Can't find it with the search engine as I can't recall the exact title. It was one or two years ago.

My answer was Borg vs Vilas, French Open final, 1978. They were big and the expectation was huge from those two baseline monsters. But Borg left very few games to Vilas over three sets, despite very long rallies. Then started a streak of three back to back French Open-Wimbledon wins for the Iceman (from 1978 to 1980). Always failed at the US against an American sensation (Connors, Tanner, McEnroe).

edit: oh, and I also recall from the previous thread that I had to add a womens match since we are on TF :lol:

then I don't recall exactly which match it was, but Evert and Austin were the first players I saw. I must have thought back then that women were all playing with a double backhand, lol. It was not but went close to the truth since!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
On TV, Ann Jones beating Billie Jean King in the 1969 Wimbledon final.

Friday final in those day but they let us watch it at school as a Brit was involved.

In the flesh: Bjorn Borg vs Szabolcs Baranyi, Court 3, Wimbledon 1973. Borg won in 5 sets. Baranyi died in 2016.

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
As I am a senior citizen:

1980 Chicago Chris Evert def. Bettina Bunge

I thought the objective of the game was to bring back the ball so your opponent is able to play it back. And who doesnt mange to do that loses the point. :spit:

That happens, when unaware of the rules of tennis, you watch two pushers play each other.

·
Registered
40,367 Posts
It was actually the year Karlovic d. Hewitt in Wimbledon rnd 1 I was home sick from school! I think Hewitt was defending the title!

That was the first match I ever watched and I fell in love with tennis, surprising considering it was Karlovic :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
1988 Wimbledon final
Graf vs Navratilova.

·
Premium Member
10,124 Posts
I'm older than the hills. So far as I recall, for me it started with ABC's Wide World of Sports showing taped coverage of Wimbledon in 1963 or 1964.

·
Administrator
39,981 Posts
Pierce at 2000 Roland Garros, I want to say it was the QF vs Seles, but it could have been the SF vs Hingis. I remember then going to buy my first racquet and picking up tennis in time for sophomore year tryouts for our high school's tennis team.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The first whole match I remember watching was the 2003 seminfinals of the YEC between Jcap and Kim Clijsters. Where Jennifer was leading and Kim still defended her title later in the finals :)

The first tennis moment I can remember was the 1999 RG final with Steffi winning against Martina.

·
Administrator
66,742 Posts
Evert v Wade - Wimbledon SF 1977

Was sick and off school

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as I can remember..Graf vs M.J. Fernandez, final Roland Garros 1993. I know I didn’t like the outcome at the time.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Pierce-Seles RG QF 2000.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Pierce at 2000 Roland Garros, I want to say it was the QF vs Seles, but it could have been the SF vs Hingis. I remember then going to buy my first racquet and picking up tennis in time for sophomore year tryouts for our high school's tennis team.
Pierce-Seles RG QF 2000.
Soulmate BB :hearts:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Venus Williams - Eleni Daniilidou Australian Open 2005 R128

Remember thinking tennis is such a weird sport if world #40 (Daniilidou) struggled to win points.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Martina Navratilova vs Chris Evert, don't remember which tournament it was but it was in the 80s.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts