Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the draw going to be the same as in Wimby when Amelie withdrew really late and they introduced a 33rd seed?

I'm guessing that it's way too late to shuffle the whole draw for the new seedings :confused:

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Mauresmo will move to Venus' spot.

Hantuchova will move to Mauresmo's spot.

Shaughnessy will move to Hantuchova's spot.

and the #33 seed will be Katarina Srebotnik, who will move to Shaughnessy's spot in the draw.

And a Qualifier / Lucky Loser will be where Srebotnik was, which is next to Mary Pierce.

Reactions: MartinaI

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks a lot for that info!

·
Enemy of Art
13,367 Posts
This is what they SHOULD do, according to rules:

Move 5th seed Mauresmo into Venus' spot.
Move 9th seed Hantuchova into Mauresmo's spot.
Move 13th seed Zvonareva into Hantuchova's spot.
Move 17th seed Shaughnessy into Zvonareva's spot.
Move 25th seed Daniilidou into Shaughnessy's spot.
Make Srebotnik 33rd seed, and move her into Daniilidou's spot.

Whether they will or not is a different story, but this withdrawal is early enough for them to follow the rules.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Its going to be so messed up Im glad I did not print off the draws yet.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
This is not a dig at Monica in any way... but if there was ever a dream slam for her to participate in.. this would have been it. both venus and serena out.. that would have been helpful to her in her quest for #10.. not that other players aren't giving monica a hard time these days too.. but well, the weaker field is helping everyone, I would have loved to see it help monica..

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think they try to keep it simple and only move a couple of players. The likely scenario will be Katerina Srebotnik moving into Venus' spot as seed #33, and a lucky loser into Katerina's old spot in the maindraw. No?

·
Premium Member
172,290 Posts
Hurley said:
This is what they SHOULD do, according to rules:

Move 5th seed Mauresmo into Venus' spot.
Move 9th seed Hantuchova into Mauresmo's spot.
Move 13th seed Zvonareva into Hantuchova's spot.
Move 17th seed Shaughnessy into Zvonareva's spot.
Move 25th seed Daniilidou into Shaughnessy's spot.
Make Srebotnik 33rd seed, and move her into Daniilidou's spot.

Whether they will or not is a different story, but this withdrawal is early enough for them to follow the rules.

this is what i hope happens
but whether USTA follow the WTA guidelines i dunno

Wimbledon didn't follow them and left draw unbalanced

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
two stories now:

Shriver said that Amelie would move into that spot, (guess she was assuming they would follow standard procedure).

Now hearing that they will just move Srebotnik into that spot. I actually think this is wiser as it effects less people. Think of the horror if they moved Amelie and then she had to also withdraw!

·
Enemy of Art
13,367 Posts
Totally believable.

Look at it this way: the same thing happened at the French Open 2001. Davenport (3rd seed) withdrew. Amelie was 5th seed, and they decided to shuffle everything around to benefit Amelie. What happened? She lost first round.

Flash forward two years and some. Now, shuffling once again favors Amelie, and does not favor Jenn. This time, a simple shift to favor Jenn.

There are deadlines when certain things cannot be done. We'll never know if either federation did what was legal, but they both did what was best for their players.

So...whatever.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.