Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
mexicotrip said:
can someone give me the scoop on her career?
She made like 3 GS finals. Her career high ranking was like #4. You should read her profile on the WTA website or tenniscorner.net

·
Banned
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knizzle said:
She made like 3 GS finals. Her career high ranking was like #4. You should read her profile on the WTA website or tenniscorner.net
I heard that she retired due to a major injury and has a winning record against venus lol

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
She beat Serena at RG '99. Serena played a horrible match then, possibly the worst I have seen her play.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
She's a washed up tennis player with even more boring commentating skills.

If it wasn't for her pretty face, she'd be obscure.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Mary Joe Fernandez

Birthdate: Thursday, August 19, 1971
Birthplace: Dominican Republic
Career Singles Titles: 7
Career Win-Loss Record: 428-202

Singles Titles

1) 1990-09-24 Tokyo
2) 1990-10-15 Filderstadt
3) 1993-02-22 Indian Wells, California
4) 1994-05-16 Strasbourg
5) 1995-02-27 Indian Wells, California
6) 1995-10-16 Brighton
7) 1997-05-12 Berlin

She made the 1990 Australian Open final losing 6-3 6-4 to Graf, the 1992 Australian Open final losing 6-2 6-3 to Seles & the 1993 French final losing to Graf 4-6 6-2 6-4 when she was up a break 4-3 in the final set. She made loads of Slam semis and quarters.

She was a pretty good doubles player too actually. She won the Australian Open doubles in 1991 with Patty Fendick beating GiGi Fernandez & Jana Novotna 7-6 6-1 in the final. She also won the 1996 French open doubles with Lindsay Davenport beating GiGi Fernandez & Natasha Zvereva 6-2 6-1 in the final. She also has an Olympic bronze medal for singles and two gold medals for doubles ( both with GiGi Fernandez ).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
She was a very nice player in the classic Chris Evert mold. She was consistent and hit solidly off both sides (her forehand was more powerful). I think she did everything pretty well, but she didn't really do anything SUPER, which kept her from challenging the champions of her era, namely Graf and Seles. She did have several memorable battles with Sabatini, though.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
She was also very weak, and got injured very often. I think that she refused to lift weights because she wanted to look feminine (which she did), and I think that hurt her in her career.

She had good groundstrokes, but at times was way too passive.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
her biggest chance came at the 93 FO

she came from 2-6 2-5 down against brenda schultz in the 4R and 1-6 1-5 in that infamous match against sabatini saving numerous MPs and then creamed ASV in the semis 6-2 6-2!

she was up a break twice in the final set against graf but couldn't close it out.

she also had MP against monica at the 91 AO semifinal netting an easy FH on open court.
had she won that match i think she could have beaten jana novotna in the final....

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Didja see that she is on the back of the current sports illustrated? She and monica and Chris evert are doing one of those milk moustache ads... they all look great, especially monica.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Mary Joe suffers from endometriosis. I'm not sure if she's still able to have kids, but it's one of the effects of the condition.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Okay, then I guess she's better. I haven't heard much about her endometriosis since 1995.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts