Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
1993 Aussie Semis beat Mary Joe 9-7 in the 3rd. Great match if only for her saving a MP with a screaming down the line winner that gently brushed the top of the net before landing on the line. Oooooh so close. Shows her mental fortitude.

1993 Aussie Final: down break point in the 3rd to Steffi... erases it with 108MPH down the T ace. Steps her level up after that and closes out a deserving Steffi 4.6 6.3 6.2 - very close despite the scoreline.

1992 Wimbledon SF d. Navratilova. If only to show that she CAN play on grass.

There are soooooo many, but that should give you a good start.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
LOL *wonder where this topic was inspired from*

I'm glad you ask :)

Well, apparently Seles considers that one of her best matches was the 1990 Berlin final. That's what I read. She defeated Graf for the first time infront of her home crowd and President. Apparently after that match Graf walked into the dressing room and dented the wall with her racket!

I've seen that match. Like all of their matches from the beginning of their rivalry, it was hard fought. But it was straight sets to Seles. I think Graf was a little surprised by the confidence and fearlessness of the 16 year-old.

Then, one month later, there was the French Open final. It was another battling performance from Seles, who saved...I think it was 5 or 6 first set points to eventually win in 2.

Another match I've seen is the 1991 French Open final. It's a good match to watch if you're one of these people who believes that Aranxta was a million miles away from the standard of Graf and Seles. Seriously, she was a hair's breadth below them when she played her best. Seles was stretched to the very limit, which belied the score of something like 6-3 7-5.

Then there's the 1992 French Open final. Seles played superbly in this match when she needed to. She retrieved like Sanchez-Vicario at times, but had that little extra penetration that Aranxta lacked.

Seles won 1992 Roland Garros against Graf on sheer confidence in her superiority, adrenaline, spirit and fearlessness. When the chips were down, Seles opened up and cleaned the lines for the court staff.

In that sense it was one of her greatest matches. But she was a skinny 18 year-old, looking quite ill (she was suffering from a cold and hadn't risked practicing that morning in order to conserve energy). She wasn't the imposing figure she cut just 8 months later in Australia. However, it was certainly when her grunt was the loudest.

And then there's the 1993 Aussie final, as I've just mentioned in the other thread. Unfortunately I've seen no other matches pre-stabbing.

·
49,309 Posts
1990 Rome Final d. Navratilova 6.1 6.1
the next week:
1990 Berlin Final d. Graf 6.4 6.3

Amazing mid year run in 1990 capped off with first RG title, over Graf 7.6 6.4 ---> AMAZING tiebreak. After the RG final, Karolj said, "maybe in the future Monica will be a good player." He cracked me up!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I would say Virginia Slims 1990,the five setter Gaby and Monica played.I wish they would bring best five back.

·
49,309 Posts
Agree, the 5 setter final for the Chase format was truly amazing and produced some huge momentum changes whenever their was a 5th.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
But you know they won't because according to the "experts",we tennis fans do not want to watch women play best of five. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
mmcdonald said:
thanks, now where am i going to get these tapes from?
Well I got mine years ago from a British company called Sports Resources, based in Norwich. I was only 15 and I wrote them a letter after seeing them advertised in a magazine.

I was amazed by the catalogue they sent me. There was just an incredible amount of matches they offered from first round tier 2's, to grandslam finals.

They'd sent it out usually within 2-3 weeks, and the videos ranged between £20-30. I haven't ordered from them for probably 3 years now, so I'm assuming they still exist from hearing them mentioned.

However, although your profile tells me nothing, I have a feeling you're American. Big problem - you don't have the European format. Converting isn't easy.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Check out this site for some of Monica's classic matches: http://tennistapes.vze.com/

Here are the pre-stabbing matches he has on tape:
1989 Virginia Slims of Houston Final: Monica Seles d. Evert {3-6 6-3 6-4} 2h01
1990 Post US Hard Court Championship Final: Seles d. Manuela Maleeva {6-4 6-3} 90m
1990 Virginia Slims Championships Final: Seles d. Sabatini {6-4 5-7 3-6 6-4 6-2} 3h45
1991 Australian Open Final: Seles d. Novotna {5-7 6-3 6-1} 1h57
1991 Hamburg Final: Graf d. Monica Seles {7-5 6-7 6-3} 120m
1991 Slims of Phili Final: Monica Seles d. Jennifer Capriati {7-5 6-1}
1991 US Open Semi-final: Seles d. Capriati {6-3 3-6 7-6(7-3)} 1h55
1991 Virginia Championships Final: Seles d. Navratilova {6-4 3-6 7-5 6-0} 2h36
1992 French Open Final: Seles d. Graf {6-2 3-6 10-8} 2h37
Coming Very Soon: 1992 Wimbledon Semi-Final: Seles d. Navrtilova {6-2 6-7 6-4}
1992 Mahwah Final: Monica Seles d. Jennifer Capriati {6-1 6-4} 1h14
1993 Australian Open Final: Monica Seles d. Graf {4-6 6-3 6-2} 1h48
1993 Hong Kong First Pacific Bank Challenge Monica Seles d. Jennifer Capriati {7-5 7-5}
1993 Paris Indoor Final M. Navratilova d. Monica Seles {6-3 4-6 7-6} 2h09

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yes, that site is very reliable...I've traded with him and we've become great friends...

·
49,309 Posts
Here's the email (yes NTSC version/USA type of tape): [email protected]

There's also someone on here that does DVDs (either UK's PAL or USA's NTCS format)... I can't remember his screenname, but I ordered 3 from him and had great results. I got the 89 Houston Final, 92 French, and 02 Aussie QF on DVD. Amazing quality.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
squawk box said:
But you know they won't because according to the "experts",we tennis fans do not want to watch women play best of five. :rolleyes:
Wrong again. There's no best of five anymore because of television. Has nothing to do with what the fans want or do not want.

·
Registered
24,237 Posts
you can also get a lot of monica tapes through ebay for much cheaper and much quicker... just to let you know.
i'm shocked to see that there are NONE being auctioned on ebay right now, but usually there are 15+. what i like about ebay is that you pick your price, and delivery is within the week.
i have gotten the 89 houston final and the 92 french final from ebay, and i like them both. the 89 houston final is not of good quality by today's standards, but it's the oldest match i can find of hers, so i like it.
good luck in trying to find the tapes you want!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Steffica Greles said:
Another match I've seen is the 1991 French Open final. It's a good match to watch if you're one of these people who believes that Aranxta was a million miles away from the standard of Graf and Seles. Seriously, she was a hair's breadth below them when she played her best. Seles was stretched to the very limit, which belied the score of something like 6-3 7-5.
This is a bit off-topic, but as a rabid ASV fan :p I would like to thank Steffica Greles, as a Steffi and Monica fan, to say this about ASV. I think a lot of people think ASV was lucky to win a couple of her Slams, but she was a great player in her own right :)

Best pre-stabbing match I have seen was the 1993 Australian final, but would love to see the 1992 French final some day.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
That's okay, Racquel.

I have enormous admiration for Aranxta. She was a lion on the court. A once in a lifetime player.

I did consider calling myself "Steffica Greles-Vicario", but it didn't have the same ring to it! LOL

I believe Aranxta would have won 4 slams even if Seles hadn't have been stabbed, as I said a few weeks ago. Maybe a few less finals, but such was Aranxta's persistence and unbreakable spirit, she'd have never laid down and watch Seles and Graf completely dominate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts