Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I didn't want it to go three sets," Hingis said. "I'm not 100 percent ready to come back, but I don't want to wait any longer."
Why would she want to comeback if she's not 100%? I guess I dont understand rushing an injury ... the risk of making anything worse is there. I guess being a Venus/Serena fan and seeing what 2003 did and playing with injury can do, I am not a fan of players playing injured.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yeah I just read the quote on the Espn site, and that was my initial reaction. Then again she really wants some matches before Roland and probably before Roma since she's defending champion.

On the other hand she should be wise and not pretend to play when she really shouldn't. Probably she's had the ok to play but her rhythm and game aren't just there yet since she has not played in over a month. At least that's what I hope.

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Why would she want to comeback if she's not 100%? I guess I dont understand rushing an injury ... the risk of making anything worse is there. I guess being a Venus/Serena fan and seeing what 2003 did and playing with injury can do, I am not a fan of players playing injured.
Maybe her doctor has assured her that her injury won't get any worse and because of that she chooses to play because she wants to get some matches under her belt before the FO? Anyone's guess is as good as mine though.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,212 Posts
Maybe her doctor has assured her that her injury won't get any worse and because of that she chooses to play because she wants to get some matches under her belt before the FO? Anyone's guess is as good as mine though.
Or probably her injury did not let her have much preparation for these events, i can´t imagine her playing injured and taking the risk of getting worse, that would be plain stupid.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Yep, I think her recent injuries have kept her from training at 100%, so she isn't in full form right now... But normally Hingis is smart, if she was seriously injured she would withdraw, just like she did in Charleston..

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, maybe she meant her training. I thought she meant her injury wasnt healed 100%. Maybe she meant her injury has not allowed her to be at 100% in her training/fitness.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Oh, maybe she meant her training. I thought she meant her injury wasnt healed 100%. Maybe she meant her injury has not allowed her to be at 100% in her training/fitness.
That's what I think, and that would explain why she "didn't want to wait any longer", but she did take painkillers before her match today, so that's still problematic...

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I am very concerned that she is playing on painkillers.
Especially since it is the hip and I am sure that it is affecting her serve. Oh well, considering she missed over 3 1/2 years because of injuries, I doubt she would play if she were in jeopardy.

She probaby just wanted to test the waters before Rome and RG. Good luck against Patty, that match could be a grinder. :eek:

·
Registered
754 Posts
i think hingis just came to play a match or 2, she knows she is not fit for berlin.

however going to rome without a single match practice after so long isn't that good, as we all know hingis is a type of player who takes a match or 2 to adapt. thus she might as well use berlin to adapt, then probably an early exit for her....allowing her to rest enough before Rome.

i am not expecting hingis to beat patty today, so i guess that would give her enough rest

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
yeah she's referring to not feeling 100% ready to be competing a tier I tournament i would suspect. I doubt she'd play if the injury was a real factor.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,212 Posts
i think hingis just came to play a match or 2, she knows she is not fit for berlin.

however going to rome without a single match practice after so long isn't that good, as we all know hingis is a type of player who takes a match or 2 to adapt. thus she might as well use berlin to adapt, then probably an early exit for her....allowing her to rest enough before Rome.

i am not expecting hingis to beat patty today, so i guess that would give her enough rest
Schnyder will overpower Hingis you´ll see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts