What is the main factor?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
84,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we know Serena is already a legend. She has been quite consistent still reaching at least later stages of the major tournaments she's joined. But then somehow she keeps faltering at the final stages? What is actually the biggest challenge for her to reach 24 and beyond?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Opponents. Give credit where due. Seriously some of you Serena fans need to grow up. She's not retiring from these matches, she's not in a wheelchair. Her opponents are beating her.
Well said.

I remember many saying Serena would only lose today's Final if she was injured or had back spasms again. The whole thing was just disrespectful to a player of Andreescu's calibre who has had a great season even though she is new on the scene. Serena is a legend and imo the GOAT, no need to debate that, but to blame her losses on other factors and exclude the actual quality of her opponents is plain rude.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I don't know but she may have to put more work in off the court than she was planning, to stay up there with the young guns. Her toughest matches in NY were against teenagers, 17 yr old Caty McNally and Bianca (19). And it sure didn't help for this final that her QF and SF opponents offered so little resistance. :spit:

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
I don't think Serena's level has been brilliant in Slam Finals where as her opponents have played fantastically well but one thing you can say is she is very consistent at putting herself in the finals and giving herself another opportunity. If she keeps doing that then she will win again. I felt bad for her tonight when you see how hard she fought to get back and then just makes a few bad errors in the last game and suddenly it's over.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Mental for sure. No excuses for how bad the serve was today(unless she's injured) but I think it's intertwined with age and mommahood making her a little sweeter, kinder? Bianca played outstanding tennis for the most part, no denying that, her level was definitely higher than the other opponents in the last few slam final losses that Serena has endured. Still so many losses in a row doesn't really help her confidence and mentality. I just don't see it next year for her, not even the biggest Rena fan but it makes me sad, sad to see her losing like this.

Reactions: ElusiveChanteuse

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Serena is not playing enough events to be top shape for a Slam (she's not Federer). The others play a lot more over the season, thus they are in a much better physical shape for a Slam if they avoid playing too much and are in a much better mental state (confident) if they won many matches or titles.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I think its age, all great champions eventually lose a little bit of speed of shot or moment and you get younger players that grew up watching them start to win against them. Serena is still making slam finals but 25 is looking just beyond her reach just as Wimbledon 10 was just out of reach for Martina.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
Actually I think it is a mixture between mental and opponents. Gamewise she still had all what it needs to win today. That was absolutely obvious when Serena at 1-5 had nothing too lose anymore and swang freely. She was dominating the next three games until 4-5 when she was aware she can still turn it around. At that point it went back to her no first serve and shaky game.

That might lead to the conclusion, it is all mental only. But her opponents are a factor in this game. They were all 4 game wise strong enough that Serena couldn't afford to not play her best tennis. And they were all 4 mentally strong enough not to crack when it counted. And they all believed in themselves from the first minute of the match. Only one of these three parts missing and Serenas trust in herself would have risen high enough to win these matches.

That means: Yes it is mental. But it is also due to the opponents not allowing Serena to increase the trust in herself during the match.

·
Registered
605 Posts
fat ass and age. this illusionary 'form' her dumb fans are screaming about after she beats a couple of jokes and losers has nothing to do with winning the slam. proven many times in a row.

What 'form'? how can you judge a 'form' of the player beating the ball machine.
Maybe take a look at Serena's form throughout the tournament as a whole? I know it's hard.
They need a Ph.D. to figure it out, lol!
where is your PhD now smartass? your joke in 'form' was dismissed by fat kido.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Referees, line judges, opponents & age

Reactions: ElusiveChanteuse

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Obviously the most obvious one would be her opponents level of play in those 4 finals. They didn't let Serena settle down at all and started very well and got into an early lead.

Then, Serena's mental state in those finals not as ruthless or ice cold as it was before her pregnancy. Just too many hysterical expressions on her face and whining at her box, etc. Made worse when she realizes her opponents won't fold and gift the matches to end and then she will just overplay and go for too much. :shrug:

And the absence of her serve in those 4 finals.

I think it's a combination of factors. Honestly with the way Kerber, Osaka, Halep and Andreescu played, I find it tough that Serena would have managed to beat them even if she wasn't nervous / played well herself. But she just can't find that level consistently in finals, and the new generation relishes the challenge of facing her and simply won't crumble under the pressure. So, it's up to her to improve her mentality again (who would have though I'd say that about probably the mental GOAT). Until then, #24 is probably a lost cause - unless of course she plays one of her pigeons in the final.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Better ask why is she in so many finals with that form

She´s suffering from the Navratilova syndrome, she has a lot of experience, a tough winning mindset, she still has a top competitive tennis and she has a huge name supporting her, that´s enough to beat easy opponents and intimidate a couple of mental midgets, to whom she might not win otherwise, and survive until the final but the tour has evolved too and her power, her movements, her footwork isn´t enough for the toughest in the game right now.

she doesn´t have mental letdowns or anything special in finals, I followed most of her matches in the USO and she actually played better against Andreescu than in some other early rounds, but the opponents in the final are not afraid of her anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The answer is plain and simple...
she is a HUGE choker.

Her level of play drops off big time - in her biggest matches (GS finals) since she had her baby.

Her serve was pathetic today.
Terrible percentage of first serves in (Gag!)
Huge double faults when she needed her serve the most (Choke!)
And her ground strokes were so inconsistent (Gag!).
How many unforced errors did she have..? (Choke!)

When it matters most... she turns into a mental midget.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Better ask why is she in so many finals with that form

She´s suffering from the Navratilova syndrome, she has a lot of experience, a tough winning mindset, she still has a top competitive tennis and she has a huge name supporting her, that´s enough to beat easy opponents and intimidate a couple of mental midgets, to whom she might not win otherwise, and survive until the final but the tour has evolved too and her power, her movements, her footwork isn´t enough for the toughest in the game right now.

she doesn´t have mental letdowns or anything special in finals, I followed most of her matches in the USO and she actually played better against Andreescu than in some other early rounds, but the opponents in the final are not afraid of her anymore.
That explains new names like Osaka and Bianca but what about Halep who was 1-9 against Serena and Kerber who Serena beat in 2016 at Wimbledon?

1 - 20 of 225 Posts