Votes: 141 77.9%
  • PM

Votes: 40 22.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
37,339 Posts
I don't know but I'd rather win a PM, around the same amount of points and prize money but you get a W instead of an L.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I'd say losing a GS final personally, bigger prize money aside, it just stands out a lot more. Not many causal fans for example will be aware that Konta won Miami last year, whereas a lot more will remember her Wimbledon run, even though it was actually just a semi final. Careers are mainly defined by gland slam achievements and a Grand Slam final will also be viewed much more frequently worldwide than any PM or P5 final.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Also depends on the PM. I wouldn't mind an Indian Wells to my name. But Madrid or Beijing? Who's bothered about that?
Might depend on the slam as well though maybe? Wimbledon over Aussie, particularly if you were from one of the home slam countries?

·
Registered
112,693 Posts
Vesnina won IW, Rezai won Madrid. I'd take either, but I'd choose the slam final first. More of the history of the sport, more money.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It should be winning a PM, just because winning > losing, but the trouble is that too many of the WTA's PMs lack real prestige. Madrid and Beijing don't feel as big or important as they should - they're not on a par with their Masters Series equivalents on the ATP.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
GS F

Slams have history and WTA can cancel PM whenever they want. WTA can replace PM whenever they want.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Pretty unanimous going off the early vote. The Sunshine Double not so much, but a lot view the Madrid as a warm up for the French and Beijing as a winding down process or primarily for players outside the top 10 to make a late run for the WTFs, a bit like Garcia last year.

·
Registered
37,339 Posts
Also depends on the PM. I wouldn't mind an Indian Wells to my name. But Madrid or Beijing? Who's bothered about that?
This, I'd rather win Indian Wells than reach the Roland Garros final, but I'd rather reach the Wimbledon final than win Beijing.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Is anyone (besides diehard tennis fans) going to remember who won Beijing or Madrid? I would even put reaching a grand slam final ahead of winning the YEC. An Olympic gold medal would rate higher, though.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
What is more memorable and a better achievement might be two different things.:eek:h:

I mean you could play a great and overcome top players to win a PM title but since most people's knowledge of PM tournaments doesn't stretch past Indian Wells it won't be that memorable to a lot of people.

While a Grand Slam final is more memorable to many more people. Look at Genie - some people still remember her and she was only in a Grand Slam Final for about 30 minutes.:angel:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Slam final of course.
Slams are the tournaments which everyone wants to win and everyone gives their best to do well.
PMs are big and important too but not as much as slams.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Slam final due to prestige and occasion.
Not at all. Being a 3x loser in a GS final just like Miss Help is the worst ever thing than once can experience. Getting any PM title is waaaaaaaaaaay better. Really freakish thinking there since one is obvious: the winners are remembered, the losers are and will always be forgotten.

·
Registered
19,470 Posts
Not at all. Being a 3x loser in a GS final just like Miss Help is the worst ever thing than once can experience. Getting any PM title is waaaaaaaaaaay better. Really freakish thinking there since one is obvious: the winners are remembered, the losers are and will always be forgotten.
Yeah, Honzie, Simona has 3GS finals, another 2SFs and also won PMs in her career but nice try, dude :yeah:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts