Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many players get into the Hall of Fame

There should be a special room for a STRICTLY limited number of uber-influential players. The eight most accomplised, most game changing, most influential players, most important are get in. To get in another one, someone has to drop.

Sure eight is a low number, but I'm deliberately trying to insure that ONLY the players who HAVE to mentioned to cover tennis history are in that room.

So here are my 'gotta haves' moving forward in time.

Wills Moody
Lenglen
Gibson
Court
King
Evert
Navratilova
Graf

Of course, you immediately get people screaming Seles, Connolly, Goolagong, Bueno but hey, styles make fights. The only player on that list you can't say is ESSENTIAL to covering tennis history is Steffi. Of course, the 22 GS titles argues in her favor, being such an extreme total.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
steffi totally covers tennishistory. she was the total example of new and old generation since she played it both half :eek:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
and that's not because I am a fan(well a little maybe). it's the truth :eek:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Martina Nav
Steffi Graff
Margeret Court
Susan Langen
Billiw Jean King
Evonne Googalong
Lottie Dodd
Helen Woodie Mills

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
irma said:
steffi totally covers tennishistory. she was the total example of new and old generation since she played it both half :eek:
You ARE aware that tennis history covers 119 years, going back to 1884.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
did the other players play all that time? but nav;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
In the year 2103, won't it be strange that the combined careers of the Elite Eight spanned less than half of the last 200 years of tennis?

And in the year 2203...

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Seles and Connolly are not excludable. They were far greater players Goolagong, who was a far greater player than Gibson. If you want to include Gibson for societal reasons, fine, but Seles and Connolly MUST be included.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts