Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serena Williams...Best serve the womens game has ever seen, she's tough(getting tougher) has a ruthless forehand, and knows how to intimidate her opponents.

Kim....Great consistancy, creates some nice angles, and she's very scrappy.

justine.....Nice serve, pretty backhand, and she has guts.

Venus Williams....Fierce backhand, incredible court coverage, good volleys, great net game, fierce compettitor, her oncourt demeanor is beyond reproach, learns her lessons the first time, knows how to defend a title.

Lindsay....Great serve, and clean strokes, she did what it takes to get herself in the best possible shape to realize her potential.

Amelie...Nice backhand

Jennifer....Great strokes, very clean, fiesty compettitor, scrappy, consistant. She's so working class i'm surprised she's not from Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Serena Williams...Best serve the womens game has ever seen, she's tough(getting tougher) has a ruthless forehand, and knows how to intimidate her opponents.

Kim....Great consistancy, creates some nice angles, and she's very scrappy.

justine.....Nice serve, pretty backhand, and she has guts.

Venus Williams....Fierce backhand, incredible court coverage, good volleys, great net game, fierce compettitor, her oncourt demeanor is beyond reproach, learns her lessons the first time, knows how to defend a title.

Lindsay....Great serve, and clean strokes, she did what it takes to get herself in the best possible shape to realize her potential.

Amelie...Nice backhand

Jennifer....Great strokes, very clean, fiesty compettitor, scrappy, consistant. She's so working class i'm surprised she's not from Pittsburgh.

can I add monica?

her aggression, her intensity, her angles, her strokes, her winners, her sportmanship, her class, her will to fight to the bitter end, HER!!

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I like Petrova's serve better than Serena's at the moment.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
G_Slammed said:
Her first serve is big... her second serve is nothing...Petrova's serve I'm speaking about.
Yea well, to each his own.
I happen to like Petrova's serve better.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hmm, do we sense a slight bias in DF's assessment of the top players' strengths? BTW, I love his minimalist appraisal of Mauresmo's game. It certainly gets straight to the point, although I think she has other qualities besides a "nice backhand".

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No bias, if Hingis were still a top player, the list of attributes she has as a tennis player would be among the longest from my point of view, and she wasn't on my short list of favs, although I go out and practice the angles, dropshots, and pace changes that i've watched her create on the court.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ah, right. It's probably the language that does it. I mean to say, "nice" and "pretty" sound like somewhat condescending ways of describing Henin's game, whereas Venus has a "fierce backhand" and "incredible court coverage". But hey-ho, I'd probably do the same thing in reverse if I started such a thread.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my thinking justine has a pretty backhand is a slight...okey dokey....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
No, not a slight exactly, but a somewhat unimaginative adjective (try saying that when you're drunk). There are many more eloquent and accurate descriptive terms for her backhand than "pretty", which to me does not adequately quantify the aesthetic elements of the stroke... similarly, "nice" is a notoriously poor choice to describe something, people are always encouraged to replace it with something else whenever they put it in a piece of writing.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I was taught that if you have nothing "nice" to say say nothing at all, in many instances I ignore that advice. I've seen that pretty backhand overpowered by Venus' fierce backhand on several occasions.

If you'd like to describe it as something other than pretty, knock yourself out.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
"One-handed". There, that's a better description of it than "pretty". Pretty is a pretty poor term to describe any tennis stroke, in my opinion - in fact, you're pretty lucky that it won't end up costing you a pretty penny to come up with something better, because I've done it myself.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,691 Posts
Hendouble said:
No, not a slight exactly, but a somewhat unimaginative adjective (try saying that when you're drunk). There are many more eloquent and accurate descriptive terms for her backhand than "pretty", which to me does not adequately quantify the aesthetic elements of the stroke... similarly, "nice" is a notoriously poor choice to describe something, people are always encouraged to replace it with something else whenever they put it in a piece of writing.
I think it's called damning with faint praise. Nice! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.