Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the rankings and realize that it has been a year of improvements and disappointments.

I am inspired by serena winning OZ

Chanda returning to the top 10 after falling so far in the rankings

Lindsay still in the top 10 after her comeback

Martina Hingis, Sandrine Testud, Arantxa Sanchez, all gone

Anna Kournikova still down in the ranks

Mary pierce also keeping her company but moving up slowly

Alexandra Stevenson still managing to stay top 30 ( for the life of me I don't know what is going on there. Everyone is falling and rising around her and she still stays in that one or two spots)

Martina Navratilova in the top 20 of doubles and winning titles too.( damn)

Venus and serena..........nuff said.

Jelena Dokic and her situations.

Elena Dementieva winning Amelia......

In a years time the whole tennis world seems to have been turned upside down. I like it though.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
serena deciding that she is wasting her talents and turn it totally around in less then one year! that's inspiring!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Great thread! I love what you've posted. Let me add some of my own.

What's been great:
Ai returning to good form in singles by winning Scottsdale.

The Russian girls continuing to do well with Vera, Elena and Anatasia winning titles this year.

Navratilova still kicking ass in doubles, winning the mixed title at the Oz!

Serena winning the career grand slam in singles.

Justine continuing her impressive form and demonstrating that marriage doesn't ruin a career.

What's been depressing:

Anna's continued fall from grace. I am still in shock over that.

Dani's weight problem.

The retirement of Martina Hingis

Venus losing in consecutive grand slam finals to her sister.

Corina's recurring health problems.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Shocking
Most shocking: probably Martina Hingis retiring. She was in the Oz Final at the beginning of 2002, and competed as late as August in the U.S. Open. Now she's gone. The tour is so not the same without her.

Second to that: Anna competing in challengers. When I heard that she'd hired Solomon (sp?) last year, I really thought he was going to turn everything around for her and that it was a sign of intense, take-no-prisoners commitment on her part. It's a shocker to me that someone with her talent has plummeted so fast, and a very pleasant surprise that she's willing to play Challengers without caring what people think.

Third: Monica's foot. I thought it was all better. Now it seems her career hangs by a thread because of it.

If I can dip back into 2002 just a bit, I would say that fourth is the total lack of brain energy on the part of the WTA regarding marketing the Championships. I figured that even they could handle something which should be routine for them, but no.

Inspiring
Nothing about the tour has really inspired me, per se, except perhaps Martina Navratilova's continued presence, and the fact that she completed a career Grand Slam sweep of all disciplines.

Serena's dominance would inspire me if I were a Serena fan, but I'm not, so it didn't, even though she's obviously a fantastic player.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Shocking:

The last time I saw Neely, she had put on about 40 pounds and her face was more bloated than normal. When you are 4'10", 40 pounds is a lot, and Neely was not exactly anorexic to begin with.

Inspiring:

I saw Anne Welles at a Gillian Girl charity event. She had had the facelift of the century. It was flawless, not tight at all, totally natural looking, took off 20 years. She can pass for a hard late 30's! It was better than my facelift. It was truly amazing, and she gave me the doctor's name so when I have to get my next one, it will be the best.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Natalie Tauziat returning to play doubles is one of them. I wish more retired players would return to lift the doubles game up more. Players like MJ Fernandez, T Austin, C Evert and so forth, maybe the retired players should get a platinum wildcard into tourneys cos of their career experience and allows for the orgainizers to have a mkt-able name.

Reactions: Keith
1 - 8 of 8 Posts