Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Because the rain delay was so long and went into the early evening, the tournament director made the decision to not continue the Andre/Y-Man match. They will finish their match no earlier than 1:00PM tomorrow. The tournament director said that to continue the match would not be fair the the people who purchased evening session tickets nor to the players who were sheduled to play this evening.

· Registered
311 Posts
yes, gonna be tough on the old guy, beside corporate US.open don't have enough balls to move the match to an outer court ("we don't make enough money", "the people brought tickets") blah blah blah, they don't give a shit about players

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Cujo said:
yes, gonna be tough on the old guy, beside corporate US.open don't have enough balls to move the match to an outer court ("we don't make enough money", "the people brought tickets") blah blah blah, they don't give a shit about players
Before you want to bust your racquet on the tournament director's head, they could have moved the match to the Grandstand court but because of an accident, the Grandstand court is closed for tonight and the matches that were supposed to take place on that court have to be moved, including the one that was in progress.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Why would they have to play 3 days in a row?? They will finish their 3rd round tomorrow, play the 4th round on Monday, QF on Wed/Thu, and then semifinal on Saturday.

39,468 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Why would they have to play 3 days in a row?? They will finish their 3rd round tomorrow, play the 4th round on Monday, QF on Wed/Thu, and then semifinal on Saturday.
Yes, that would mean they played Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Scotso - gotcha! but is playing one set really enough to wear someone out? Anyway, I could see them delaying that 4th round match to Tuesday and then the QF to Thursday. That male would still have a day off before the SF.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
They are both veterans and should be able to handle it. Hell, they have played Wimbledon many times ;)

· Registered
2,570 Posts
So why was this the only match postponed?

· Registered
471 Posts
lizchris said:
The tournament director said that to continue the match would not be fair the the people who purchased evening session tickets nor to the players who were sheduled to play this evening.
Nevermind that it's completely unfair to Agassi and Kafelnikov. Judging by their reactions, I'm guessing that, given a choice, they would rather have played on an outer court than get moved to tomorrow.

Though, this isn't the worst case of U.S. Open greed overriding fairness to the players. I remember a few years back that a later round match got played before and early round match. I think Tommy Haas was one of the victims there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.