Tennis Forum banner

Which Grip Do You Use For Your Forehand?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's somewhere between eastern and semi-western, meaning my first knuckle isn't right in the middle on the second bevel, but closer to the third bevel, yet not on the third bevel. Or something like that. :p I actually get quite a lot of spin, but that might just be my strings or racquet.

·
Registered
837 Posts
One time I thought it would be a great idea to start hitting forehand groundstrokes with a continental grip :facepalm:
That lasted exactly one drill. My coach has me using semi-western now because he wants me to stop slamming it out on every even slightly important point – i mean, get more spin.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I change my grip based on a shot that I wanna make. If I want to generate power, I use Eastern, and if I want to add spin to it I use Semi-Western. The latter is an awesome grip for the times that you are in trouble because it confuses the player who expect a flat ball coming through, however it takes some time to get used to when you start switching into it from other grips.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
I experimented for a little with a continental grip for my serve, but it ruined it.
You definitely want to take the time to learn to serve with a continental grip. If you are using a forehand grip for your serve, you are limiting the spin (and pace) you can put on your serve. This is because the wrist cannot pronate as much while holding the racquet with a forehand grip and you also have to be more front facing to the court so you are limiting the power you can get from shoulder rotation.
Also a forehand grip is awful for a second serve. You absolutely cannot hit a kick serve with a forehand grip. So you have to hit a slower flat serve, which is going to get eaten up by good players.

You may think you have a big serve with a forehand grip, but I can assure you, it's not.
Take the time to learn to serve with a continental grip. Will you have a worse serve in the interim? Yes. But in the long run your serve will be better.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
I'm between eastern and semi-western. It's been a never-ending battle to put more spin on my forehand. I was a western grip when I was really young but I couldn't get any depth on it so I switched to an eastern and migrated slightly western on it. It's what feels natural but it's almost too flat a shot.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Could someone tell me what is the grip in the following pictures?

·
Registered
14,783 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised at all the players with eastern grips, didn't know there were so many.

I'm using semi-western for forehand and of course continental for serve but I never tried the eastern grip, maybe I should give it a try and compare :)

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
I'm newbie here
I consider between Eastern Grip or Semi-Western Grip

Do you know What grip famous tennis player (Fed, Djo, Serena, Sharapova...) use?
Thanks
Fed: "extreme" eastern (between pure eastern and semi western)
Djokovic: full western

Most pros use semi western though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Semi-western, and when I was starting out I used eastern like everyone else. I moved to semi western cause I noticed I had more control of the ball when I wanted to smash the **** out of it on a flat shot, not necessarily for spin, but I was probably generating some very subtle spin back then. I also use semi-western on my serve sometimes when I want to be more accurate with flat hard serves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
^^^
Yeah the continental grip is used for the serve, overhead and conventional volleys. I dont think its ever used for the forehand.
It was used in the era of the wood rackets, pretty much everything was hit with a continental grip in the very early days of tennis.

As for myself, I play with an eastern grip. I think it's way more versatile than the semi-western. And it's not like it's impossible to put decent spin on your shots with an eastern grip, like some people use to say. It's certainly easier to aply top spin with an eastern grip that is to deal with low balls with a semi-western grip.

Any tip for extra power on a slice serve? I can hit some very good ones, with great placement and with the ball breaking a lot to the side, but I would like to be able to hit a little more powerful this kind of serve. :cool:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts