Tennis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
27,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the Antwerp final again, and I just can't believe how harmless Venus' first serves are. :eek:
She's hardly getting any free points with it. They are neither full-speed nor placed well. Down the middle with a little spin, easy to block back.
There was a stat at the end of the match and it said that Amelie had scored more direct points on her serve than Venus, and that's quite shocking.

Why is this?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't think it takes a genius to work out that venus's serve has not been the same since she came back from injury. She even claimed how her abs were bothering her towards the end of the match and that must be the reason behanind her weak serves.

If you think her serving was bad in this match- go have a look at her match against davenport at the us open!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
GoDominique said:
I just saw the Antwerp final again, and I just can't believe how harmless Venus' first serves are. :eek:
She's hardly getting any free points with it. They are neither full-speed nor placed well. Down the middle with a little spin, easy to block back.
There was a stat at the end of the match and it said that Amelie had scored more direct points on her serve than Venus, and that's quite shocking.

Why is this?
I agree with Villa. Its sad but ab injuries are really torturous. First you are scared you might tear the muscle again and since its more likely to tear that is a real concern even after the injury has "healed".

Second, that feeling makes you more tentative. Venus cannot afford to be tentative on her serve because her technique is not that great. IF she had serena's technique she could rely more on placement but she doesnt'.

Just look at how her second serve always goes to the forehand. Thats really bad when the opponent knows where you are going to hit.

She needs to rebuild her serve from the ground up and realize that she is not the same player she was before her ab injury. She needs a new serve. It doesnt have to be big it just needs to be effective.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
just bec someone returned your serve doesn't mean it wasn't a good serve. i think Venus serves fine. her problem overall -- not specific to her serve -- is that the rest of the tour has caught up to her game. so she no longer gets as many free points as she did in say 2001.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Her serve is not where it used to be. The placement is the biggest iggue. Players know where it's going and can read it well. Thus even with excessive speed it is returnable.

·
27,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
villa said:
I don't think it takes a genius to work out that venus's serve has not been the same since she came back from injury. She even claimed how her abs were bothering her towards the end of the match and that must be the reason behanind her weak serves.

If you think her serving was bad in this match- go have a look at her match against davenport at the us open!
She could still try to place them a little, no?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
PhoenixStorm said:
I agree with Villa. Its sad but ab injuries are really torturous. First you are scared you might tear the muscle again and since its more likely to tear that is a real concern even after the injury has "healed".
Good post.

To be honest, I don't think a lot of people really understand what sort of injury Venus had. Seems to me people don't know much about abdominal tears and what a bitch they can be.

Re certain types of injuries and the way they can affect your serve, Dementieva is the perfect example. It's been years since her shoulder injury but she is still stuck with the slice serve to the forehand.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Its all about placement...but we have beat this topic into the ground...Vee's fans are obviously more worried about her game than she is because its been a year and no major changes yet...so WGF

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
GoDominique said:
She could still try to place them a little, no?
Well after watching the match she played against Kim Clijsters at Wimbledon, I'd rather not have her try and place her serves and hit them harder if that means re-aggravating her injury. I think the reason she doesn't place her serves as well anymore is because she's afraid that it will tear her abdomen again, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I thought it was unusual that Venus was serving first serves in the 80 and 90. When I read that she had an injury it all made sense. We can all agree that Venus is not the same player that she was a few years ago, but I believe that she is on her way to being that player again. It's very unusual that venus would be unable to close out a match like this one against Amelie. Venus know and I know that there is no chance of here loosing to Amelie when she is playing without an injury!!!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Billie Jean King is to blame. She tried to teach Venus a new technique, but that ended up ruining Venus's placement. When Venus tried to switch back, it wouldn't work as well. It's a shame, too, because that serve was awe inspiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.