Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's interesting to see her in the media this fortnight, playing exhibition tennis. Word is she's trying to get into shape for the US Open...

What drives her? This is her longest layoff since her stabbing. In the meantime her contempories and foes are all retiring, Hingis, Lindsay, Amanda, Iva...

Remember when the media was speculating that she was going to retire after the US Open 2002?

What drives her on, at 30, after so many trials (and successes?) Is it the need for competition only? Or the feeling she can still win? Or does she just have blood in her veins like that of Navratilova?

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Love of the game, according to her.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think she wants one last chance to come back and have some good results. She doesn't want to go out with a whimper. Much like Steffi in 1998/start of 1999, people were asking her why she was even bothering to struggle through injury and bad resuts. But she came back, won the French and to the final of Wimbledon - then after all that struggle retired! I can see Monica doing the same once she's given it one last shot.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Nothing drives her. When she comes back, she'll get beat.

Plain and simple. Hence, I see her retiring, soon. don't take it personal, but its just not there.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,321 Posts
nate_my_love said:
But...who is her coach now?
Is it Mike Sell?
I think Mike Sell is hot and is a good coach for Monica :O)
She's working with David Nankin of South Africa, former ATP player. She doesn't have a "coach", but they work together off and on. And apparently she's been training with Pat Etcheberry (fitness guru) in Florida.

·
49,321 Posts
Ballbuster said:

Plain and simple. Hence, I see her retiring, soon. don't take it personal, but its just not there.
You can have drive and determination and not win every match. She's incredibly driven. Whether she even comes back, who knows. But I think tennis owes her one last shot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ballbuster said:

Yeah...I feel that she might get beaten.
I am a big fan of Monica, but it is very hard to believe that she will come back and win a GS and retire. It is just not that easy for her to anymore! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Athenaeum said:
She's working with David Nankin of South Africa, former ATP player. She doesn't have a "coach", but they work together off and on. And apparently she's been training with Pat Etcheberry (fitness guru) in Florida.
Where is Mike Sell?
Do you think Monica and Mike dated for a while?

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Ballbuster said:

Not everything is about winning sweetheart.

I suspect that's what drives Monica Seles.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Ballbuster said:

Given many of your recent predictions have went wrong, I am a little relief you said that :)

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
nate_my_love said:
Where is Mike Sell?
Mike Sell is married. He stopped working with Monica to spend more time at home and something about coaching juniors.

·
49,321 Posts
nate_my_love said:
Where is Mike Sell?
They separated (coaching) end of 2002. He didn't wanna travel and got married.

·
49,321 Posts
Sell does something with USTA like Player Performance or some title. Overseeing junior US players careers and working with them near his home in CA.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Awww...:O)
Anyway...Monica Seles is the only person who got me interested and hooked on to tennis....
I can't stop folllowing tennis because of Monica now :O)

·
Registered
108 Posts
So do we really have confirmations that she is working with David Nainkin or even Pat Echeberry? I know there was an article from Brandenton and someone was looking over her "training session." I am hoping she is back with Mike Sell (training in California before she went into a relapse), but this might just be too hopeful than a possibility.

At least she's working hard now. I just don't know if she has an entourage like she needs to really make this comeback more successful than before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts