Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

I wish she gets back to slams later rounds again. Such a talent and effortless groundstrokes. Infact i like her stokes better on eyes than even my bias Naomi.
She is still 22 so she can get back but what is the actual problem for her bad year? In second set she was 0-3 40-AD down and then saved bp like a champion, other ones also at 2-3 ( 15-40) and went on win next 12 of 16 games playing merciless and unbeatable tennis. 0:). I miss this jelena..:sad:

·
Registered
112,690 Posts
Re: What does she need to do to get her old form back?

Ostapenko has to improve her serve. She will never be steady, so always streaky, but has to get serves in when the points are high pressure

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

There's nothing "effortless" about Ostapenko's strokes.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts

TBH, I am quite surprised that she did win a Major with that "Dementieva-like Serve". She kinda has to win every second Return Game to pull the Match out cuz she loses Serve mostly once a Set.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think people have this image of Ostapenko as just hitting winner after winner...that's true but even when she won FO, she hit 50/50 winners to unforced. She double faulted in the double digits in almost every match. It's her game and you just have to accept it. She isn't ever going to serve like Osaka or Andreescu...let's just get that straight. Her strokes are the best in the game bar none.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts

Player forum, or title change for "what Ostapenko needs to do to get her old form back". There is no player called "She" on tour.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
We all want her to do well and she showed little signs of resurgence at the end of the year. It will all depends on how things go with Bartoli in Off season, but I'm slightly and cautiously excited. The tour needs her.

People underestimate Aljona a lot actually. She moves really well, she can defend, and is much smarter on court than people give her credit for, the way she uses angles. She tries occasionally a drop shot or slice, different from the totally brainless stereotype that people have from her. And she seems a lovely girl. Her groundstrokes are probably the best on the whole tour. Being not only competitive on grass as she was, but also the most aggressive almost always with that serve is impressive.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Player forum, or title change for "what Ostapenko needs to do to get her old form back". There is no player called "She" on tour.
You can read the content of the topic if you are opening it. If its bothering u so much, talk to mods

·
Registered
18,949 Posts

You can read the content of the topic if you are opening it. If its bothering u so much, talk to mods
I do think you should edit the title to include the name of the person, it's simple to do. This is also for thread archival purposes. Maybe someone wants to revisit the thread and use the search to try and relocate it. It's considerably harder to do that without the name.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do think you should edit the title to include the name of the person, it's simple to do. This is also for thread archival purposes. Maybe someone wants to revisit the thread and use the search to try and relocate it. It's considerably harder to do that without the name.
I will do it for sure when i come back and get access to lappy as i m not able to do from phone. A decent tone like this could've conveyed the message before as well..

·
Registered
225 Posts

She will in 2020. The game is there. The serve can be improved and we saw that in her last tourney. She will do some damage next year I am sure

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I will do it for sure when i come back and get access to lappy as i m not able to do from phone. A decent tone like this could've conveyed the message before as well..
Y'all are catty as hell. Making a big issue out of literally nothing.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

My favourite stat about Ostapenko is that she never won a main draw match at RG before winning it... and hasn't won a match there since.
This is one of those stats you think can't possibly be real until you check for yourself and realize that yes, it absolutely is real. A sports psychologist could probably write a book about Ostapenko, what got her there, what she lost after, why she can't find it anymore and of course if she can find that thing ever again.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts

There's an old saying for situations like this: "Who's 'she', the cat's mother?"

Maybe you should learn yourself some basic consideration for others. Imagine what the forum would be like if everyone did what you've done (or not done) :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts