Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
I think its typical of Men feeling the need to run everything and getting scared that Women might actually control something one day plus actually make the same amount of money as men. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hmm interesting article.

A similar phenomenon has been noted in Great Britain over the last ten years or so.
Similar explanations have been given here but the main one concerns the way school pupils are assessed at the ages of 16 (GCSEs - taken at the end of compulsory education) and 18 (A levels - University entrance level).

Up until about ten years ago, you came to the end of the course and you sat examinations which you either passed or failed - simple as that!
Boys fared better in most subjects - especially Maths and Science - girls doing well in English, Foreign Languages and Art.

It was then decided that the exam-only system was too rigid, favouring only those who were 'good at exams' (ie, good at remembering lots of facts) and so a new system was introduced in which 40%, 50% or 60%
of the assessment would be done by marking research-based coursework, handed in over the two years ('continual assessment'), the remaining percentage coming from the exam.

It turned out that girls are much better at organising their time, doing the research, presenting information neatly and concisely, handing their assignements in on time etc, etc. Almost immediately, girls were out-performing boys in most subjects, even Maths and Sciences.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I've never heard of any Canadian study done on this topic but I can at least say that the same thing is happening in my school. The biggest problem? The way society in general looks on boys. Here, boys are made fun of if they put a lot of time into their studies and if they pass in their homework and do their work well. Fellow male students won't like guys who are studious ( sp?)... they'll be called gay or some other name. Girls are also under more pressure to succeed. If a guy fails a class it's cool, he'll repeat but if I girl fails that's the end of social life... that's the way it is here anyway :( A lot of emphasis is also put on sports... If something is due on friday ( and was assigned two weeks earlier) well it's ok if the guys don't pass it in til monday since there was a big game on thursday :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
That is part of problem, Angele.

All forms of Affirmative Action should die. If you're anti-discrimination, you can't be pro Affirmative Action.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I wonder if part of the problem is that the government schools don't want to treat boys like boys. From what I've read, schools of education, and the so-called "helping" professions (psychology, "social work" and the like) have been increasingly dominated by women, and the ideology that masculine traits are inherently problematic. Why do we in the States drug so many of our children -- and very disproportionately boys -- with Ritalin?

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
in the big picture, affirmative action has done more damage than any good. some of these drawbacks are just now beginning to come into the light decades after.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Colin B said:
It was then decided that the exam-only system was too rigid, favouring only those who were 'good at exams' (ie, good at remembering lots of facts) and so a new system was introduced in which 40%, 50% or 60%
of the assessment would be done by marking research-based coursework, handed in over the two years ('continual assessment'), the remaining percentage coming from the exam.

It turned out that girls are much better at organising their time, doing the research, presenting information neatly and concisely, handing their assignements in on time etc, etc. Almost immediately, girls were out-performing boys in most subjects, even Maths and Sciences.
I prefer that system too. Exams are too rigid, and I don't do as well in them as I should. Some people (like moi) stress too much under exam conditions. I've always preferred the assessments. That's how I did so well in my HSC (Australian high school). But I'm not a girl. ;)

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
Ted of Teds Tennis said:
Why do we in the States drug so many of our children -- and very disproportionately boys -- with Ritalin?
in the inner cities, for the most part, school authorities noticed an abnormally high level of activity or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (adhd) amongst young males. agitated behavior and an inability to focus on tasks was also noted. this was back in the mid-seventies. it was thought that if these boys could just concentrate on what they were doing, that they would eventually buckle down and succeed.

counselors reported these findings and recommended seeking professional help. methylphenidate (ritalin) was and is the drug of choice for these kids. (it's always easier to dispense a quick fix than it is to find the root cause.) now...it's everywhere. what was once used to help a situation is now most certainly epidemic. it seems as if boys in our society, have more than a few strikes against them. but in the end, it's parents that should take the responsibility for what their children ingest.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
angele87 said:
I've never heard of any Canadian study done on this topic but I can at least say that the same thing is happening in my school. The biggest problem? The way society in general looks on boys. Here, boys are made fun of if they put a lot of time into their studies and if they pass in their homework and do their work well. Fellow male students won't like guys who are studious ( sp?)... they'll be called gay or some other name. Girls are also under more pressure to succeed. If a guy fails a class it's cool, he'll repeat but if I girl fails that's the end of social life... that's the way it is here anyway :( A lot of emphasis is also put on sports... If something is due on friday ( and was assigned two weeks earlier) well it's ok if the guys don't pass it in til monday since there was a big game on thursday :rolleyes:
Wow, it was the complete opposite for me. People who are studious are "nerds" but they're respected because they're smart and come first in the grade. And everyone looks down on you if you fail or do badly. Like I always used to come last in the top maths class, and would be too embarrassed to show anyone my exam result :eek: (I once had an exam that was below 30% lol)

I felt left out too, because all of my friends were bloody geniuses.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Messenger said:
Wow, it was the complete opposite for me. People who are studious are "nerds" but they're respected because they're smart and come first in the grade. And everyone looks down on you if you fail or do badly. Like I always used to come last in the top maths class, and would be too embarrassed to show anyone my exam result :eek: (I once had an exam that was below 30% lol)

I think it depends on the school you went to. My school was like that too.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
Messenger said:

i agree with you messenger. but i think it depends on the atmosphere of learning that these kids have. i suspect yours was similar to mine in that you were expected to succeed and do well. i know i was. and failing was a shameful thing. as a matter of fact, there was no room for it at all.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Messenger said:

It was like that at my highschool as well. No doubt there were some real dolts who were "popular" because they happened to be major jocks. But the most respected students were not just those who had a killer spike or could chuck a football to the moon, but those who excelled in all areas. I would estimate that 90% of my social interaction in highschool would not have happened had I not been at the head of my class.

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
4,495 Posts
Rebecca said:
It was like that at my highschool as well. No doubt there were some real dolts who were "popular" because they happened to be major jocks. But the most respected students were not just those who had a killer spike or could chuck a football to the moon, but those who excelled in all areas. I would estimate that 90% of my social interaction in highschool would not have happened had I not been at the head of my class.
It was the complete opposite for me. I was the head of my class and played sports at a respectable/good level but didn't have any friends in high-school. I was labelled ass-kisser for no reason because I would never go talk to the professors or something like that. There was a girl who had almost as good grades at me who would really suck up to the professors, going to talk to them at the end of each class to have something explained to her etc. and she was considered a heroine and was very very popular.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts