Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Hitting the net. Unless it drops on opponent's side, in that case I love it :eek:h:

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Hitting the net.. If it lands out but was kind of close, I see it as a positive error in terms of playing aggressively (or at least try to :lol:). But hitting the net is just lame and I feel I should have timed it better. Same with serves...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Strange question... Obviously it depends on which shot one is making
Second serve fault into the net is more stupid mistake than long
On first serve about equal
Long on a passing shot is sillier than into the net.
Overhead into the net is as silly as it gets
Into the net in a rally, when the opponenet is at base line, is sillier than long, unless it is a slice
With volley it depends at which height the ball is struck - on a low one it makes more sense to play low and risk hitting the net, than to risk an out long by raising it as high sitter to be killed. The opposite for a high volley, unless it is a sharp angle cross-court
And so on ...

·
Registered
14,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda surprised at the responses so far, because if you hit the net there's a chance of it going over for net-cord :lol:

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
It depends. If I hit a flat shot which clips the tape, I feel better than I do sending a moonball into the back fence.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Depends. Normal groundstrokes should be clearing the net by a couple of feet, so if I am dumping those into the net it’s a fairly major error. Far more than missing the court by a foot or two.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good subject! I have always thought a lot about this. I used to really hate hitting the net more but the more experienced I get, it doesn't really matter to me. All misses are equally frustrating!

I will add, when I first started watching tennis matches as a young boy, and before I ever played the game, I got more mad when the players would hit the net. I was always like "Wow, at least get it over." After actually playing the game, I understand how it happens.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hitting the net. Because you are expecting it to go deep because you are really swinging and putting effort and concentration, then you hit the net. Kinda of shocking every time.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hitting the net. Always better to have good shape on the ball rather than have control of depth. You can reign in your depth as you warm up but if you're hitting the ball into the net your trajectory is just wrong and still yet you don't even know if your ball was going to go into the court or long!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts