Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just played the WORST match ever, seriously worst, i couldn't hit a ball in the court, and my opponent hit lots of weirdo spins so i couldn't get any sort of rhythm, so i started misbehaving on court, as in i started screaming lots of "c'mons" ala lleyton hewitt, even when i won points on my opponent's errors, then one game i slammed every ball as hard as possible out of the court, the tried moonballing for a bit...my obnoxious play and wild attitude helped me recover from 6-1, 3-0 to 3-3 in the second, but since i had to play well to get 3 games, he got his rhythm back and took me out 6-1, 6-3, we still had 30 minutes left of court time reserved, but i didn't stay to play for fun....

what do you do after something like that...i'd just come off probably my 3 best weeks of tennis in my life and now this? advice!!

·
Registered
34,574 Posts
aww :hug:

Try your best to forget about it. Know that you can't play any worse than that so you have nothing to lose for your next match. ;) Just remember everyone has a bad day and let it go.

That works for me anyway :lol:

·
Registered
47,715 Posts
This happened to me today also. I love to take the ball early on my BH and hit it like Dementieva's. And today, I kept stepping to my left before I hit the ball. It was really weird and I couldn't stop doing it. I felt so frustrated, I took one of the balls and smacked it over the fence. Then, I got in trouble with my Coach but that's a different story.

Afterwards, just go do something else. Go bowling, or go out to eat. Don't just go home where you have all the time in the world to think about it. You have to get your mind off of it, and tell yourself that you are so much better than that. I usually tell myself that I could beat Roddick without a serve.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Well...I played tennis for the first time in two years about a week ago, and let me tell you, I had never played such horrible tennis. I used to hit two-handed both sides, even though I could always play a pretty strong forehand with my right hand only. Last week I ended up playing ONLY slices from my backhand slice because I couldn't get a two-handed backhand in, and a two-handed forehand, since every ball I tried to play with a one handed forehand went incredibly long. I played horrible tennis, believe me, and the guy I played wasn't very good at all. Can you believe I ended up winning 7/5 2/6 6/2?

And you know what I did after playing the worst match of my life? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I mean, come on, it's just a tennis match :p

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
you'll probably play really bad for a week or so, it depends on your mental strength. i started back a month ago after the winter, and i really couldn't do anything. i lost my first match and then struggled for about a week, and stopped caring. i went a whole two weeks and only played ONCE. i played for the first time in a while yesterday, and I did pretty good. i felt refreshed. but i have a very fragile mindset and get frustrated easily, so it takes me a while to get over that loss.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
2 weeks ago i played so badly. losing 0-6 0-6 to my friend who never won againts me. he played so well and i coudn't find my game! it was make me angry! i throw the racquet and broken! i also lot of scream and try to play annoying with moon ball! i couldn't think after that match! just yell out that i was so stupid and idiot! it was really bad day for me!

thx God, yesterday i beat him again with nice score!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WonderfulLee said:
2 weeks ago i played so badly. losing 0-6 0-6 to my friend who never won againts me. he played so well and i coudn't find my game! it was make me angry! i throw the racquet and broken! i also lot of scream and try to play annoying with moon ball! i couldn't think after that match! just yell out that i was so stupid and idiot! it was really bad day for me!

thx God, yesterday i beat him again with nice score!
ahahhaa, i was moments away from smashing my racquet too...so i started to pull a daniela and started taking about 30-45 sec between points, to calm myself down and to try and throw off his rhythm!! it's so frustrating, he wasn't very good, but had just the type of game to drive me insane

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PattyBellyButton said:
This happened to me today also. I love to take the ball early on my BH and hit it like Dementieva's. And today, I kept stepping to my left before I hit the ball. It was really weird and I couldn't stop doing it. I felt so frustrated, I took one of the balls and smacked it over the fence. Then, I got in trouble with my Coach but that's a different story.

Afterwards, just go do something else. Go bowling, or go out to eat. Don't just go home where you have all the time in the world to think about it. You have to get your mind off of it, and tell yourself that you are so much better than that. I usually tell myself that I could beat Roddick without a serve.
i should've!! but sadly, i usually bring friends to watch, but all of them had prior commitments, so there was no one for me to go over it with and no one to entertain me and take my mind off it...i've got gym class tennis here at my college on friday, then playing again next weekend...i have alternated loss/win since i began this new league 5 weeks ago, so i'll just hope the pattern keeps for one more week and it'll be a win next week...then maybe i'll bust through w/ a win streak...

in regards to your roddick comment, i like to think things like that all the time too! it's a great motivation...hopefully things will get put back together just in time!

·
Registered
12,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hmm... well this isn't exactly tennis, but I had a similar experience with badminton a while ago. At that time, I took it really seriously and when I played badly, I always got annoyed at myself, especially when I think about one particular loss (try 0-15 0-15! :)). I think you will always get your bad days playing any sport. The trick is to not overanalyse it and try to relax in future. You said you've been playing well in the past few weeks, so not is all lost. It was just one match, which you will grow from. I notice when people are losing (especially losing badly), the best thing to do is stay focussed and almost nonchalant. That way, even if you lose, it makes losing less disheartening and nicer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts