Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
DiZZiA said:
Somebody out there can tell us please? Thank You. ;)
How young you are when you start winning is trivial. Navratilova didn't win her first slam singles title til she was 23. It is VASTLY more impressive that she won Wimbledon at 34.

As for Lindsay, she accomplished just slightly more than Martina Navratilova at age 17, in that Lindsay had won the European Open (on clay!) at age 17, and Martina Navratilova didn't win her first tournament til she was 18, at Orlando.

BTW, Lindsay's closest peer on the tour, Jennifer Capriati, won her first tournament, Puerto Rico, at 14. Who would have guessed then that Capriati would be the one with 14 career titles, and Davenport the one with 46?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Volcana said:
How young you are when you start winning is trivial. Navratilova didn't win her first slam singles title til she was 23. It is VASTLY more impressive that she won Wimbledon at 34.

As for Lindsay, she accomplished just slightly more than Martina Navratilova at age 17, in that Lindsay had won the European Open (on clay!) at age 17, and Martina Navratilova didn't win her first tournament til she was 18, at Orlando.
:worship:

·
Registered
13,840 Posts
As a 17 year old Lindsay won two titles, reached the QF of Australian Open and SF of Miami. She beat players like Sabatini, Martinez, Coetzer, Tauziat, Majoli, M.J.Fernandez. She was doing rather well. :)

·
Banned
24,209 Posts
times change... :rolleyes:

Lindsay is a GREAT GREAT GREAT Champion, and Maria is making her mark on womens tennis. But there can not be made a fitting comparison between the two! :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
She was doing well and about a few months after she turned 18, i'm pretty sure, she made it to the season ending championships final, where she lost to Sabatini.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
:rolleyes: this is worthless. just because your favorite got destroyed and people made fun of her doesn't mean you have to start hating lindsay. get over it already! there's no doubt about the fact that lindsay is a very accomplished tennis player, who cares how old she was when she started to get big wins.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Volcana said:

BTW, Lindsay's closest peer on the tour, Jennifer Capriati, won her first tournament, Puerto Rico, at 14. Who would have guessed then that Capriati would be the one with 14 career titles, and Davenport the one with 46?
I guess since martina did not win a slam until she was 23, that would make Maria so much better then her!!!:lol:

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
victory1 said:
I guess since martina did not win a slam until she was 23, that would make Maria so much better then her!!!:lol:
Tell me that in ten years when Maria has one Grand Slam. Thanks.

Age means nothing. Maria or anybody won't achieve as much as Navratilova has.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Martina N. won her first Slam at 21!

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
DiZZiA said:
Somebody out there can tell us please? Thank You. ;)

Not a lot. Because Graf dominated back then.
Sharapova has it easier today.

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Volcana said:

Get your facts straight, please.
Navi won her first slam (Wimbledon) with 21, her last one with 33 ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay, I shall post on this topic. Lindsay may not have been as famous as Maria was at age 17, but she was well established in tennis. As far as Martina N., let me just say this, not matter how old she is, not a single other woman has done as much for this sport as that lady has. She established women's sports to the level it is today. Maria is working to make tennis a more popular sport, a lot of time I question her methods of doing this. is it right to attract fans that are merely attracted to bodies and women in skimpy outfits playing tennis? nonetheless, she is attracting fans. lindsay to be honest, has never really tried to attract fans, and most of her fans are attracted to her by her no non-sense attitude. She just plays her tennis, does her best to win, and that is all she cares about.

I may get a lot of heat for these comments, but they are my opinion. If you want my believe, Martina N. is probably in the top 5 all-time women's tennis players, if not the top two. Lindsay Davenport is an established legend, who has done a lot for the sport of tennis, but in a different way. And Maria has a bright future, just depends how far she wants to take it. Oh well, those are my opinions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.