Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what caused former players BJK, Katrina Adams & Zina Garrison to gain so much weight?

I really wonder what they did upon retiring!!! :eek::eek:

I love all three of them to death but wow they don't look like former world-class athletes! :eek:

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: what caused former players BJK, Katrina Adams & Zina Garrison to gain so much weight?

Add Kafelnikov to that list by the way. :eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: what caused former players BJK, Katrina Adams & Zina Garrison to gain so much weight?

I'm sure it has to do with your country's eating habits....

They showed a documentary about meal portions in restaurants in the south on Belgian television last week. It was really hallucinating! Those portions could feed me during a week or so...

·
Registered
17,211 Posts

Katrina doesn't look that bad actually.

Zina still has a couple of issues.
She's had eating disorders before in her life and although she looks healthy you can never really tell when a person is over that eating disorder.

BJK just seems to have said fuck it to all society pressures as a women she had to deal with 35 years ago.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

Zina Garrison suffered from Bulimia throughout her tennis career. She even tried to committ suicide at one point in her life. That's why she was so upset when the media was critical of Serena's weight. Serena is tough mentally, but not everyone can take the constant criticism of their weight.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Re: what caused former players BJK, Katrina Adams & Zina Garrison to gain so much wei

Well, that's not that uncommon. When you're a pro athlete you're used to a life of diet and exercise. Once you quit, you start eating like a normal person, and metabolism does its way.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Women in there 40's tend to gain weight. Its natural

·
Winner
14,940 Posts

They don't need to care about their weight so much anymore. Obviously they can't go OTT, but a bit of extra weight doesn't hurt especially that they don't play anymore.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts

Your metabolism slows as you age. If you eat the same amount, you gain weight. On top of that, if you're an athlete, you burn a lot of calories training and playing. Once you stop training, reducing your caloric intake to maintain weight is extremely difficult.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts

Pls Excuses.

Look at Steffi, Sabatini, Conchita Martinez, Mary joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver etc they allhaven't let themselves go like Zina has :eek:

It's about taking care of your body. Eating healthy and exercise is for life, and not just for athletes, or ex-athletes but for everyone.
Your golden years will be much more enjoyable this way.

Ppl still ask my mum if she is the sister to my eldest sister. And she is Almost 30yrs older. She looks fab :worship: that's why. Eat right, workout (good genes help too)

Reactions: Helen Lawson

·
Registered
596 Posts
Re: what caused former players BJK, Katrina Adams & Zina Garrison to gain so much wei

I really wonder what they did upon retiring!!! :eek::eek:

I love all three of them to death but wow they don't look like former world-class athletes! :eek:

Ask Tyra! Go to tyrashow.com

:p

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts

Pls Excuses.

Look at Steffi, Sabatini, Conchita Martinez, Mary joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver etc they allhaven't let themselves go like Zina has :eek:

It's about taking care of your body. Eating healthy and exercise is for life, and not just for athletes, or ex-athletes but for everyone.
Your golden years will be much more enjoyable this way.

Ppl still ask my mum if she is the sister to my eldest sister. And she is Almost 30yrs older. She looks fab :worship: that's why. Eat right, workout (good genes help too)
As many people in this thread have already stated, Zina Garrison is a recovering bulimic who once attempted suicide. In her case, perhaps "letting herself go" IS the best way for her to take care of her body. That's how I see it, anyway.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts

As many people in this thread have already stated, Zina Garrison is a recovering bulimic who once attempted suicide. In her case, perhaps "letting herself go" IS the best way for her to take care of her body. That's how I see it, anyway.
Oh I didn't know that. *recants statement about Zina while feeling like an asshole*

·
Registered
10,842 Posts

They probably just don't play as much tennis anymore. Look at Jana Novotna. She still plays tennis, yet she looks fitter now than she did when she was actually playing. I saw a recent pic of Sylvia Hanika and she was also looking fitter than I remember her being.

Every individual is obviously different.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

They don't need to care about their weight so much anymore. Obviously they can't go OTT, but a bit of extra weight doesn't hurt especially that they don't play anymore.
Well, not true. It puts you at risk for diabetes, joint aches, heart disease...

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I used to be anorexic. Yet I don't let myself get hugely overweight nor do I get to thin. I think people are right about stopping sports altogether being the problem but it seems like they would want to remain active individuals. Many former players are still very very fit. Sabatini, Graf, Evert, Austin, Mary Jo Fernandez. Even Monica Seles looks decent.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts

life.
genetics.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts