Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3902 Posts

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Привет;14282766 said:
The mention of War & Peace reminded me that I'm still only 3/4 of the way through it despite starting it over a year ago. It's so long! :lol:
I know, I started it in July (maybe August) and I'm only at page 400. It's well crafted, but I could die from boredom in some sections.

Istanbul: memories of a city, by Orhan Pamuk :)
I have not read this yet, but I really like Snow by the same author. :) What do you think of Istanbul so far?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Memoirs of a Geisha...loved the movie, and so far loving the book! :bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland
This is on my list of books to read! Let me know how it goes.

Right now I'm doing tons of University, but I'm actually reading To Kill A Mockingbird, since my stupid english teachers in High School never assigned it to me, and it's a classic.

I'm also reading Wow & Flutter, a Bjork biography.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Привет;14282766 said:
The mention of War & Peace reminded me that I'm still only 3/4 of the way through it despite starting it over a year ago. It's so long! :lol:

I'm currently reading New Moon. Which makes me seem immature in this thread, but I'm probably a lot younger than most people in here. :)
i am reading New Moon also. and i am probably older than most people here. :)

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Memoirs of a Geisha...loved the movie, and so far loving the book! :bounce::bounce:
I think I liked the book better than the movie.

·
Registered
38,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I am buying Memoirs of A Geisha BOOK, TOMMOROW.

But it's either that or Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah.

·
Registered
38,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I am worried that Falling Leaves will be exactly like Chinese Cinderella? Is it her life in the same time period or is after she goes to England?

That is the only thing stopping me from getting Falling Leaves.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I am worried that Falling Leaves will be exactly like Chinese Cinderella? Is it her life in the same time period or is after she goes to England?

That is the only thing stopping me from getting Falling Leaves.
I suppose it could be likened to the Cinderella myth, but it's the truth of her life. Her father was so enamored of his second wife and the author was the last child of the first wife, who died in childbirth with her. That sealed Yen Mah's fate because almost all of her family considered it a bad omen and treated her very cruelly. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember most of the later parts taking place in America (not England). But, similarities aside, it's a gripping read and I loved it, even though it made me sad.

·
Registered
38,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Have you read Chinese Cinderella? It was a book by her which was also her auto-biography. I was wondering if it was a bit like that because Chinese Cinderella according to her was a 'revised' version of Falling Leaves although she reveals that to find out what the contents of her fathers will was we have to read Falling Leaves.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I'm so sorry, I didn't read the first post carefully enough. I think that Falling Leaves IS an expansion/rehashing of Chinese Cinderella, but it's been at least six or seven years since I read it so I can't be specific in which areas are different. It is the same story of her harsh treatment by her stepmother and family, though. But Falling Leaves was very moving to me, her prose is excellent, so I didn't mind.

·
Banned
3,300 Posts
life itself a weird book , I don't understand 80 % of it
book about drug addiction
story of civilization
book about Zionism
new world new mind

I never read one book , I read many books at the same time , love books more than any thing else :hearts:...

·
Registered
15,009 Posts
richard hammond - as you do

41 - 60 of 3902 Posts