Tennis Forum banner

3841 - 3860 of 3871 Posts

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
The Man Without Qualities [Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften] by Robert Musil in PT translation. Got only the first two volumes of the PT edition; the third includes chapters unpublished during Musil's lifetime, unfinished snippets and other odds and ends related to the novel. Had enough of that sort of stuff with the PT translation of Gogol's Dead Souls.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
The Man Without Qualities [Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften] by Robert Musil in PT translation. Got only the first two volumes of the PT edition; the third includes chapters unpublished during Musil's lifetime, unfinished snippets and other odds and ends related to the novel. Had enough of that sort of stuff with the PT translation of Gogol's Dead Souls.
Update: I was making good progress until the very last days of August, but from then on I just haven't had much time to read.

The Man Without Qualities is indeed a "novel of ideas" as described; I wouldn't say the ideas discussed are middlebrow, but they don't reach a particularly deep philosophical level either (though they can be quite abstruse at times). The book is very sparsely and elegantly written however, so it's not actually a very difficult read. Musil's talent to describe interiors without even (or rarely) mentioning furniture or other items is uncanny. Overall, the novel is a satire - but not broad or outrageous enough to get the reader laughing out loud while at the same time not enabling us to feel close to (or to feel some sort of empathy for) any of the characters.

Currently reading the second volume, which so far I'm finding to be more accessible than the first. And Agathe is clearly meant to be a sympathetic character.

Also reading other stuff at the same time:

Piranesi by Luigi Ficacci. Thick art book without much text, but it still counts as reading. Started yesterday.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts

Quite a cryptic read so far.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Just finished "The Golden Spruce" by John Vaillant, great little read that I'd recommend to all North Americans

Currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tart

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
But I am reading it in Dutch and it's called De Drakentroon ;)
View attachment 171935
That's a great series, I've read it 20 years ago. He now has a follow up series to it (in Dutch: De kroon van heksenhout) that takes place 30 years after the first books.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Lately:

Carson McCullers - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (again)
Philip K.Dick - Ubis
Dashiel Hammett - The Glass Key.
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Lathe of Heaven

3841 - 3860 of 3871 Posts