Tennis Forum banner

3821 - 3840 of 3871 Posts

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
Blood on the Snow - The Carpathian Winter War of 1915 by Graydon A. Tunstall

I liked Illusions Perdues, but I felt like it was best for me to leave the sequel of sorts Splendeurs et Misères... for later. I've developed seasonal reading patterns over the past few years, and February-March have become the time of the year for war nerdery.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Can't recommend this book enough. Funny, heartbreaking, insightful fictional life story of a gay Irishman. The plot may sound boring - the book is anything but!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Philip K. Dick - A scanner darkly.

A drug fueled paranoid nightmare in a dystopian world with a bit of noir thrown in. He had done it before, but never as relentlessly as here. One of his strongest novels.

John Le Carre - Tailor, tinker, soldier, spy.

The first of his 70's Karla's trilogy and probably his best book ever (and he has some terrific ones), inspired on the Kim Philby, of the Cambridge five, case. There was an Ok-ish, but a bit annoying too, movie starring Gary Oldman released a few years ago, but it doesn't capture the psychological nuances and contradictions of the characters, plot complexities, cold war paranoia and London at night cloak and dagger stuff, which make this novel almost a masterpiece (this is actually the second time I read it). There was a great BBC series in the late 70's featuring Alec Guiness as Smiley that was much closer to the real thing.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts

Trying a classic of the only Brontë sister I never read.

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,054 Posts
Ian McEwan - Atonement

·
Registered
6,469 Posts

·
Registered
6,469 Posts

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
Pyrrhus of Epirus by Jeff Champion. Started a week ago or so.

At the same time, comic books and an art book about Hungarian painter Károly Lotz. The latter I won't be "reading" as I don't understand Hungarian.

New Houellebecq is out in PT translation. Will start reading it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
Mutina 43BC - Mark Antony's Struggle for Survival by Nic Fields.

Back to Osprey booklets and war nerdery, where I should remain for a few weeks.

Still haven't picked what I'll read later on in the high summer. I usually read fluff, but I haven't much of that left in my shelves, and I'm not buying any more fiction any time soon.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts

Short but very fascinating.

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,054 Posts
Reverting back to my 12 year old self:

3821 - 3840 of 3871 Posts