Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though people are comparing which one is better looking and Elena even said that she does not want to be compared to Maria. With 2 slam winners from Russia already, even though the expectations will now be shifted, do you think Elena will start to fall off or will she be pushed to win another slam?
or are people now going to forget about Elena and start to chase after Maria's every move? What do you expect and what should her goal be? So if she does change her serve, how far do you think she can go?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Everybody bashes Elena for her serve, but she can follow it up with some great groundies

Reactions: backhanddtl4

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
i think elena will put way too much pressure on herself bcos of anastasia and masha already winning slams and crumble :sad:
hope not though :)

Reactions: AKTW

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
We'll see. If she improves her serve, she'll be contending for Majors for years to come. I happen to think she'll post some good results at the Slams in the next few years, with maybe a win, but mostly early losses. Look at her record this year at the biggies: 1R, F, 1R. :eek: Very streaky.

·
Registered
27,926 Posts
strong serve

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Elena has got to improve her serve. If she refuses to do that, she won't be improving a lot on her current results. She doesn't get the free points at crucial times that a good serve gives you, and she gives away too many points on DFs or weak 2nd serves.

Maria's triumph may spur her on - but it may just pressure her more.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
shes too streaky, and we've heard it a million times, but yes her serve will always catch up with her sooner or later (that is unless the whole field gets depleated and there's nobody left to attack those serves of hers)

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
At least one GS title. There is a huge amount of talent and ability there, its always been the serve and lack of mental strength thats held her back, but she has improved.

I hope she does it, it would be a HUGE loss if she didn't.

Udachi Elena! :)

A gold medal at the Olmpics would be good too.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
Peer101 said:
Everybody bashes Elena for her serve, but she can follow it up with some great groundies
When she makes like 50 MPH second serves that get slammed and put her on the defensive straight away, or 20 double faults, she can't bring them amazing groundies into play.

I want her to achieve some sort of serve that works.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
She wont win a major with that serve! If she gets the serve together, look for her to win a major, she is just too strong off the ground. Fact of the matter is that a lot of players, even the marginal players now take chances off the second serve returns, so she will not succeed with that kind of play. The French was an aberration.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
right now, i think elena has the best baseline package in tennis. her forehand, backhand, and movement are beautiful.

people criticise her vollies, but i thought she was a pretty good doubles player? the last time i saw her play was at rg and she didn't venture to net very often, so i can't really say a whole lot about this part of her game.

and the obvious serve i shan't talk about :eek: and the overhead :eek:

she could win majors if she improved her serve. she's just too good from the baseline to not win a good amount of big titles before her career is over. she'll contend for lots of titles without a good serve, but she won't win anything huge (imo, slams and the top tiers) until she does something with her serve.

good luck to her with that. improving such a glaring weakness this far into career is no cake... but i think that's where all the focus should be right now. she wins every match where she can take the serves out of the match, if you've noticed. that's the only reason why her best slam is clay @ rg. she's much more natural on a hard court, but the serve becomes a bigger weakness there.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lena will win a Grand Slam Tournament one day, that`s for sure!!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think she is in the top 3 of groundstrokes in the game, but her serve lets her down too much. She has the ability to win a slam or more, but realistically not until she does something with that serve.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Crazy_Fool said:
I think she is in the top 3 of groundstrokes in the game, but her serve lets her down too much. She has the ability to win a slam or more, but realistically not until she does something with that serve.
She is working on her Serve but it takes Time, wait and see!!!

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
She reached 2 big finals and she had wins against all top players (except Serena) with that serve. So I think she can win a slam even with that serve if she can keep her composure and doesn't allow the serve to distract the rest of her game
I'm almost sure, she will win her slam but I have a strange feeling that she may retire after that.

Reactions: AKTW and jklense
1 - 19 of 19 Posts