Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few year ago it was said when Sharapova and Azarenka retires the tennis will be silent again, because the younger players will be punished for hindrance if they grunt. It seem that is totally forgotten by the officials. That Potapova girl (18) grunts louder then Sharapova in her prime. ?
WTA, ITF do something for the normal, correct sport!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
A few year ago it was said when Sharapova and Azarenka retires the tennis will be silent again, because the younger players will be punished for hindrance if they grunt. It seem that is totally forgotten by the officials. That Potapova girl (18) grunts louder then Sharapova in her prime. ?
Sharapova and Azarenka are former tennis players, but not retired.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
That's actually what I do for some of the matches. Mute the match volume, and put on some of my favorite tunes instead. Works out quite nicely.

EDIT: not just for the grunting, but for some of the commentators (like Amiach and Dubois).
Are you sure you just don’t dislike women in general? :confused: sensing a pattern here.

Reactions: KCatty

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
I love the grunts of Vika, Elaine and Garbine! Others are ok too:shrug: Grunts add character to a tennis match!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Meanwhile Sonego on Chatrier has been screaming louder than all the women today combined.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Sharapova is retired so no need to push the issue. After all this fuss about the noise was only to take jabs at Maria.

·
Registered
38,316 Posts
Nobody outside the youtube comment section actually gives a shit.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You must not watch mens tennis.....it's gotten just as bad, if not louder on the ATP tour. Every 3rd tweet or report on random mens matches seems to involve some sort of grunting/gamesmanship issues.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Screaming is here to stay.

I think the volume thing is only part of the problem - the bigger issue is the LENGTH of the scream. When your opponent is still screaming after their shot and it extends beyond the time when YOU hit the ball, that's really messed up. It's worse than volume imho.

But hey, the worst screamers are mostly the biggest names

Halep, Sharapova, Muguruza, Azarenka, Sabalenka and plenty of others aren't just going to stop. Even other players like Niculescu, Serena and Venus make an insane amount of noise at times too.

I honestly think something should be done about the length of the scream. It's more of an issue AND it's easier to enforce than volume - there would be no need for a device to measure volume; just a simple requirement to stop screaming before the ball hits your opponent's strings.

Reactions: Daydreamer
1 - 20 of 25 Posts