Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow

First congrats to Maria for winning her first slam and in such convincing fashion. Congrats also to Serena for reaching this final.

I feel sadness of course because my favorite did not win, and watching the match I was hoping her will and fighting spirit would come through, but sometimes that is not always enough. Serena was good, but Maria was better.

I have found that after watching the match, that while I was indeed sad over Serena losing the Wimbledon title, I could find a deep respect for the opposing player. This Wimbledon in particular was special in that sense. Players like Amelie, Maria, Karolina, Lindsay - they all in one form or another showed what world class players they were and how valuable to the women's game they truly are and that women's tennis is far from dead and is very competitive.

Serena will always be my champion and I think I actually did tear up right along with her, but at the same time I couldn't help but applaud Maria for her display. Two different outcomes, two proud families, deep respect and admiration all around. I wanted a win for Serena, but I came away loving women's tennis even more.

Congrats to both ladies.

·
Golden State Of Mind
5,649 Posts
Serena immediately congratulated Maria Sharapova for a great match - she went over to her side to do this. She looked disappointed and even shed tears in her on court interview, but tried her best to put on a big smile. Serena Williams is a super champion and my respect has grown in leaps and bounds for her.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Syndil said:
Serena immediately congratulated Maria Sharapova for a great match - she went over to her side to do this. She looked disappointed and even shed tears in her on court interview, but tried her best to put on a big smile. Serena Williams is a super champion and my respect has grown in leaps and bounds for her.
I didn't think I could hold Serena in any higher esteem than I do now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts