Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I am so tired from that match and I just want to go to Flushing Meadow to give Jennifer a big hug. Damn it. So close! Had the crowd behind her. She gave every damn ounce into that match. Had chances to serve it out (and break Justine's serve and win) in both sets!!

How could this happen? Up 5-3 in the second and 5-2 (with one break) in the third. She didn't even play poorly at all and it was so much luck.

I am so mad that that one ball towards the end of the third set didn't go out. How weird was that? It would have been match point. It just seems impossible that ball didn't go out. Just impossible.

Both players deserved to win. Damn it. NO FAIR!

·
Registered
11 Posts
JennyS said:
Man, I am so tired from that match and I just want to go to Flushing Meadow to give Jennifer a big hug. Damn it. So close! Had the crowd behind her. She gave every damn ounce into that match. Had chances to serve it out (and break Justine's serve and win) in both sets!!

How could this happen? Up 5-3 in the second and 5-2 (with one break) in the third. She didn't even play poorly at all and it was so much luck.

I am so mad that that one ball towards the end of the third set didn't go out. How weird was that? It would have been match point. It just seems impossible that ball didn't go out. Just impossible.

Both players deserved to win. Damn it. NO FAIR!
You said it, Impossible!! I can't Imagine how she feels. I am sick from watching that match. I have been waiting so long for her to win the Us Open!! Jen can still hold her head high because that match was a classic!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I really know what you mean jenny. I feel the same! I can´t really believe what happend. She was so near to win and then...
She´s so uncertain when she´s serving for match. Jen`s problem is only her head.

It´s really hard to see her losing such a match :sad: :sad: :sad:
I hope she can handle it :sad:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with all that you guys have said ... I feel really bad for Cappy, :sad: it was such an awesome match, it was tough to watch it, but as JennyS said, I think only because it wasn't due to playing bad that Jenn was down it was a lot about luck.

But props to Henin-Hardenne, she was the better player when it came to the crunch.....

Jenn is such an awesome,awesome player and proved it today that she's still got it, she should hold her head high :worship: and hopefully she'll be able to reflect back on this match and take confidence from it...

How good was the crowd too! :bounce:

In the words of Cappy ... "It hurts, it's very disappointing, but what can I do, that's the way it went, You have to give her credit with the way she was feeling that she stayed out there and tried to win. It was my match to win, but I guess I just beat myself."

Reactions: hollywood7172

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i was SO fucking pissed i nearly killed someone. i had to go to the gym and pump iron to get rid of my anger.

but in the end, i still luv our jeenifer. no matter if she won or lost that match, she will always be the MOST SPECIAL tennis player in my heart.

Reactions: JCAP

·
Registered
672 Posts
It was heartbreaking watching it. The times when she was serving for the match...she had served really well previously and when it came to it, it didn't deliver. :sad:

I would say, oh there will be more chances for her to win it...but I can't. :sad: Because really, this was the great chance. It sucks. :sad:

Head up, Jen!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
hollywood7172 said:
i was SO fucking pissed i nearly killed someone. i had to go to the gym and pump iron to get rid of my anger.

but in the end, i still luv our jeenifer. no matter if she won or lost that match, she will always be the MOST SPECIAL tennis player in my heart.
I totally agree! She is still my fave, always has been and always will be. :)

I hope she goes and kicks some butt now in the indoor season and takes home that Championships title! :bounce:

Reactions: hollywood7172

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was totally drained after that match...i was heartbroken. 6 in the morning to watch it, i could feel myself wanting to cry. I've been waiting so long for Jenny to win the US open now, in front of her home support, she's loved over there!

Oh well u gotta stay positive i guess.....if she can play that way all the time then she'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
you know, another poster mark said that each time cappy was serving for the match, he knew it wasn't over yet. i felt the same way. even when cappy was up 5-2 i wasn't sure she had it.

but if i have that kind of attitude, imagine what jen must think. that's why she has trouble closing--because she doesnt believe she can win, and so she gets tentative.

FUCK!!! I AM SO FUCKIN PISSED!!! ARRRRRRGH!!!!

but,
WE LOVE YOU JEN!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
9,714 Posts
That's going to hurt. Heartbreaking, was the only word I could think of when I saw the score this morning. I'm watching the match right now.

Was good to see some vintage Jen. "Jennifer thinks it's time to berate the base line judge" had me laughing.

But one thinks history repeated itself. Serving for the match, 1991, Jen's career will be bookended-ish by 2 devestating semi final losses. I hope not. I hope she finds positives to come from this because the rest of the match is brilliant to watch (so far - she's winning at the moment ;) )

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
That match sucked. :fiery: It was like Jenn wanted it so much that she couldn't take it :sad: Afterwards she said she felt like her heart had been ripped out - our poor girl. Even though she was doubting herself and became tentative, she fought very hard right until the last point. You just have to love that about her :kiss:

Love you forever Jenn :hearts:

·
YOU'RE WELCOME!
6,830 Posts
Not sure if any of you have already read this, but as far as I'm concerned, Jen's post-match Press Conference is a damn sight more positive than I'd have imagined. I almost enjoyed it...

Q. How do you feel about the whole situation?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: About what?

Q. I mean...

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I won, didn't I (laughter)?

You know, it hurts. It's very disappointing. But, you know, what can I do? It's just the way it went.

Q. There were so many ebbs and flows in this match. The momentum changes were constantly back and forth. What was the catalyst? Were there moments out there where the concentration just left you? Was it physical breakdown? The exhaustion?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, really, I didn't like let up too many times, I don't think. I lost the momentum only a couple times where I was just, you know, in the position to win the match and at the finish line there.

But really, you know, I think I played pretty consistently the whole time.

Q. Did you lose it, or did she win it?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: You know, it's hard to say. You have to give her credit for the way she was feeling, to just stay out there and try to win.

But I feel I definitely had the match in my hands, and it was my match to win. I mean, for the ‑‑ yeah. I mean, I guess I just beat myself, so...

Q. Memories of the '91 match with Monica come into play at any time during the match today?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: No, not at all. I don't think this kind of situation was even close.

Q. Is this the most upsetting defeat of your career?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Uhm, you know, I could look at it. I mean, of course when I came off the court, you know, I just felt like the whole world was coming down on me. You know, just my heart was being ripped out.

But, you know, it's just how I choose to look at it now and feel about it, that it was a great match and I gave it all I had. She did, too. For whatever reasons, you know, I didn't win.

So, you know, I still think it's a positive thing for me and for the future. If I can learn from this and just keep going...

Q. Everything you've been through, can you look at this, as you've told us, as just a tennis match?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, I mean, it's ‑‑ right now, it just got over with. Probably the next few days it's gonna be hard to look at it as just a match.

But I think, you know, down the road and how I feel about it is just, yeah, it is just a match and, you know, it helps also with, you know, my family around and the support I've gotten. You know, them still showing their love for me, telling me that it is just a match.

You know, it's not the end of the world. Worse things can happen.

I mean, before, maybe I would have been more devastated, and I wouldn't have handled it the right way. But now, I'm just, you know, instead of looking at myself like I failed, like I'm a failure for not winning, I think, you know, I look at myself as just giving it all I had and showing a lot of heart and what I'm made out of, and that I am only human, you know.

Q. You get up 5‑3 in the second, up 5‑2 in the third. You basically stopped hitting your shots. It seemed like you lost confidence. What were you telling yourself? Why weren't you able to pull off the same kind of shot‑making?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I mean, I really can't explain it unless you've been in the situation. Every athlete, I think, would know what I'm talking about.

You know, it was just getting pretty overwhelming out there. I guess it just, you know, I started looking at her and, you know, I felt like, you know, "Okay, now I got to close out this match for sure, you know. She's cramping," or whatever.

Then the crowd was just, you know, was so into it. You know, was just the whole situation. I guess I just lost complete focus and, you know, just like everything kind of went off.

I still tried, you know. It was just ‑‑ my shots weren't the same, so...

Q. There was a moment just before the tiebreak, 15‑30, you were 6‑5 up, you dropped your racquet, kicked it. You had the look of loss on your face. What was going through your mind at that point? Did you still believe you could win the tiebreak?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, no, I was just so pissed off that, you know... I mean, really. It wasn't that I thought I was loosing, I couldn't believe what was going on out there.

Q. Who do you think is gonna win tomorrow in the final?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, I mean, I hope Justine feels better. I mean, I don't know, you know?

There's not much rest time. Kim has had a pretty easy time. You know, it's a matter of how Justine can come and bounce back to play, you know, after tonight basically.

Q. We sometimes ask athletes what it's like to lift the trophy at that moment of triumph. The harder question is what is that feeling of loss after over three hours, there's that finality, it's sweeping over you? Can you describe those feelings you must have?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: It's pretty hard to put it into words. I mean, it's definitely, you know, after that kind of defeat and then, you know, have to come here and kind of answer these questions... (Smiling).

I mean, that's what it's all about, you know. That's the risk you're taking. I mean, that's what being an athlete is. You could get such joy in winning, but there's the other side of it. You know, a true champion, a true player, that's how they can handle it and come through that kind of defeat.

You know, still almost ‑‑ I mean, I still, like, thrive on this kind of match. You know, I do want to come back and try it again, you know.

Q. How long do you think this night will linger with you? How long will the loss be there in your thoughts?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I don't really know. It's hard to say. There's some losses that could probably stay with you forever, you know. The same as the wins, too. It's just how you let it affect you. I mean, it's okay to not completely just put it behind. You want to keep these things, you know, kind of in your memory so you learn for the next time.

Q. I would imagine that you and Justine just gave a TV a match to run on rain‑outs for the foreseeable future. I was wondering if when the match was in progress, can you enjoy just being in the moment and having the crowd behind you? It was great theater. I'm wondering how much of that you were able to soak up and really enjoy being a part of?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah. I mean, maybe I should have thought of that more at the end, you know. That would have helped me relax a little bit and kind of just laugh.

But, yeah, I mean, the whole time it was just still very thrilling for me. You know, that's what I thrive for. It's definitely like an adrenaline rush being out there. It brings out the best tennis in me and ‑‑ the best and the worst, really, too.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've decided to make a list of the positives that everyone, especially Jen can take from this match

1. That was the most pumped up I have ever seen Jen in a match. She kept on pumping her fist and jumping up and down. I loved seeing her show emotion during the entire match. Tracy Austin wrote a nice compliment that it was the most spirited performance Jen has ever given in the United States

2. The match was 3 hours and 3 minutes long and Jen was still standing at the end. That shows how much fitter she was

3. Jen gave everything she had.

4. Jen was able to put the disapointment of the second set behind her and played well during the third

5. She came back from 1-4 down in the first

6. She made some amazing shots. That forhand on the run and her leaping and fist pumping afterwards is the highlight of the match

7. She has proven herself to be the most exciting tennis player (maybe ever) and provided tennis fans with ANOTHER classic

8. In her press conference (which I watched on TV) she handled herself beautifully and answered all of the questions like a pro.

9. She has shown that she still has the ability to contend for majors.

10. She had 5 aces and only 2 double faults

·
Registered
465 Posts
JennyS said:
I've decided to make a list of the positives that everyone, especially Jen can take from this match

1. That was the most pumped up I have ever seen Jen in a match. She kept on pumping her fist and jumping up and down. I loved seeing her show emotion during the entire match. Tracy Austin wrote a nice compliment that it was the most spirited performance Jen has ever given in the United States

2. The match was 3 hours and 3 minutes long and Jen was still standing at the end. That shows how much fitter she was

4. Jen was able to put the disapointment of the second set behind her and played well during the third

6. She made some amazing shots. That forhand on the run and her leaping and fist pumping afterwards is the highlight of the match

7. She has proven herself to be the most exciting tennis player (maybe ever) and provided tennis fans with ANOTHER classic

8. In her press conference (which I watched on TV) she handled herself beautifully and answered all of the questions like a pro.

You are so right- all of these and then some for Jen!!!!!!!!!! I was sobbing my eyes out this morning..........Really wanted her to get that title! :)

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
another broken heart here! :sad: yea, i did cry after the match and again today, i really wanted to see Jenny in this final. But the only pain i feel is sympathy for Jen and i wish there was some way to let her know after these matches how special she is and how much we love her.

another positive is that Jen was still standing after the match whereas Henin was half dead! :eek: To end up on a drip after a match is pretty serious shit man, and altho Jen lost, she totally kicked Justines butt into the ground.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
9,714 Posts
:) That's a great list JennyS, made me smile :)

Plus, although she didn't win, the match is an instant classic, must make you feel good to know that - if not now, maybe in a few years. And the point where the two lobs hit both base lines, commentators said they would be showing that for years to come.

11. Next year, when it's raining. The match is a dead cert to be replayed ;)

12. It's the women's match of the year.

13. That means for 2 maybe 3 years in a row, Jen has played in the match of the year :) That's pretty impressive.
2001 - FO final vs. Kim/AO 1/4 final vs. Monica/Final vs. Venus with 8 match points
2002 - AO final vs. Martina
2003 - US semi-final vs. Justine

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jennifer's wife said:
another broken heart here! :sad: yea, i did cry after the match and again today, i really wanted to see Jenny in this final. But the only pain i feel is sympathy for Jen and i wish there was some way to let her know after these matches how special she is and how much we love her.

another positive is that Jen was still standing after the match whereas Henin was half dead! :eek: To end up on a drip after a match is pretty serious shit man, and altho Jen lost, she totally kicked Justines butt into the ground.
[/B]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
JennyS said:

Number 10 is TRULY AMAZING! I hope she keeps that up.

·
In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
I had such a hard time sleeping that night, I just couldnt get the loss outta my head. All the points everyone has made are right on, and we ALL know she's isnt going anywhere anytime soon so she'll have her chances to get her revenge on Juju. Props to Juju for duking it out, it was Cappy's match, it just sucks she couldnt pull it out... She's back in the top 5 (w/my calculations) which is awesome as well, and we still love her!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.