Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have this group assignment for uni where we have to interview a couple of people about alternative sanctions for juveniles.
I'm in a group of three and some time ago we discussed about dividing the work. So we decided that those two others would go to interview the first person, tape the nterview and give it to me so that I can type it out. If only I knew the person being interviewed came from West-Flanders. :eek:

So basically we speak the same language but I couldn't understand quite a lot of what she said :eek:. Several times I had to listen like a dozen of times before I actually found out what she was saying. It's so weird but that person lives probably about 100 kilometres from where I live and yet I have so much trouble understanding her. It was not like she was talking her local dialect -- Thank God cause I wouldn't understand a thing -- but she had that local accent. It's just a different way of pronouncing certain words or lettres that makes it hard to understand for people who are not from the same region.

Does that happen in your country too? Like two people from different regions who speak the same language, yet have trouble understanding eachother.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Absolutely! One of my best friends goes to school in Virginia, and I've made friends with a lot of people down there. Their accents are so drastically different that they pronounce many words differently, and often I have to ask them to clarify what they've said.

But they do the same thing to me cos I talk too fast. We Long Islanders have a very distinctive accent too, and we talk at breakneck pace. :)

Hi Josh :wavey:

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
lol @ Josh, god yes like people from Belfast (u can ask David) speak English but I swear sometimes I wonder, they have such a broad accent its difficult sometimes to understand them.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
all the time!! alot of people dont understand 'ghetto' talk, and alot of people find it hard as there is a huge range from people in devon and Somerset to people from liverpool, or sheffield.

Some people, not all find it hard!

·
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Hurley :wavey:

When I think of NY accent I always have visions of the nanny. :eek: ;)

Here in Belgium we also subtitle Dutch movies, so movies coming from The Netherlands. And we speak the same language lol. Just imagine that British movies would be subtitled in the US or vice versa.

Also, when other Belgians are talking on TV and they have a very strong accent of the region they live in, they are also subtitled! I mean, that's so weird...the same language and yet we get subtitles cause we don't understand eachother. I wonder if that happens in other countries as well?

Hey rightous, I really like the Irish accent. Somehow I understand it better than some English accents.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
:wavey: Josh, thats really strange cos most of the people I talk to say that Irish people talk too fast and that its hard to understand them, but thanx, we r better than the English;)

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
LOL! Yep, "The Nanny" has the archetypical Long Island accent! But I'm from eastern Long Island...ours aren't as bad as the ones from western LI, closer to NYC. :)

As for inside NYC...we have lots of different accents. Staten Island has a very different accent than the Bronx, for instance.

I do have the Long Island accent, but I can control it, unless I'm very very angry, or drunk. And then everything comes out of my nose a la Fran Fine :)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Its the same in Wales the north south divide is hirendous the norths don't understand the south and vice versa.I can underdstand both easyily but some people are just stupid!

·
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hurley Fine ;)

Actually I understand most accents, the only one I have trouble with are West-Flemish accents. There's this girl from West-Flanders at uni and she has the worst accent ever. I mean most people would do an effort to talk in a way that others would understand but she doesn't. Often she says something and then she looks at me and I'm just nodding cause I couldn't understand her. And then she gives me that 'what are you nodding, are you stupid'-look lmao. Actually it's quite funny. Though I wouldn't like to be her professor at an oral exam...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Some people from the northern half of France, not me though, have hard times understanding southern accents. You can even see subtitles in TV documentaries made in the deep countryside, which some find offensive. Until a few years ago, a journalist with a Marseillais or Toulousain accent could hardly dream of ever working on French (nationwide) TV, but now mentalities have evolved to some extent. Still, if you are not used to it and do not try very hard to guess what you do not actually grasp, talking with farmers from the south of the "Massif Central" can be quite challenging at times...

We find it even more difficult to understand Canadians with a strong Quebec accent (and I am not referring to the joual language here). I do not think that the converse is true, though, since there are quite a few people in Quebec Province whose accent is reasonably close to nowaday's French accent.

As for wording itself, it is a pity that local variants are being lost. There is a collection of small books here devoted to each province's local phrases and verbal use. Some are truly astonishing.

·
Supposed Former , Administrator
9,536 Posts
rightous said:
lol @ Josh, god yes like people from Belfast (u can ask David) speak English but I swear sometimes I wonder, they have such a broad accent its difficult sometimes to understand them.
Absolutely, lol. There was this guy the other day asking me about my country and stuff and all i got was 'how long are you staying here?' so i said for 3 months and then he went on for 10min but i dunno what he was talking about :eek: and i was like 'yeah, yeah, err yeah'

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
lol @ David, that is so true, god I have real difficultly understanding them, they are so broad, I thik they speak their own language;):)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts