- Huber / Maleeva (53)
- Schett / Hantuchova (37)
- Majoli / Dementieva (55)

·
Registered
24,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Preview before the tournament

1# Maureen Drake will either play Anna Kournikova or Liezel Huber in the 2# round. Both are newcomers, but they are always dangerous.​

4# Iva Majoli, silver medal winner from Athens will play Barbara Schett or another injured player, Elena Dementieva.​

3# Magdalena Maleeva, who is the first time seeded, will open against either Forest Hills - Finalist Katarina Srebotnik or Srebotniks doubles partner Virag Nemeth.​

2# Daniela Hantuchova, also the first time seeded here, will either play another Forest Hills semifinalist Karolina Sprem or newcomer Tamarine Tanasguarn.​

·
Registered
24,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Schedule for Thursday

Center Court

Karolina Sprem
vs Tamarine Tanasugarn

Katarina Srebotnik
vs Virag Nemeth

Court No 1

Anna Kournikova
vs Liezel Huber

Barbara Schett
vs Elena Dementieva

·
Registered
24,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Commitment List

1. Magdalena Maleeva
2. Anna Kournikova
3. Katarina Srebotnik
4. Virag Nemeth
5. Barbara Schett
6. Daniela Hantuchova

7. Elena Dementieva
8. Karolina Sprem
9. Maureen Drake
10. Tamarine Tanasugarn
11. Liezel Huber
12. Iva Majoli

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
Kournikova/Sprem :drive:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Anyone with Drake? :wavey:

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Sprem Is Ready For Cincinnati

CINCINNATI, Ohio - Reigning Forest Hills semifinalist, Karolina Sprem is ready for her upcoming challenge this week at the Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open in Cincinnati, Ohio.

"I've been training hard these past few days since my semifinal result last week in Forest Hills. I've been working on my mental toughness because it let me down last week during my semifinal loss. My coach has made me believe in myself and my game. It's paying off."

Sprem got put into another tough draw this week as she plays Tamarine Tanasugarn in the 1st round.

"Tamarine is going to be a tough opponent for me. This match will help me see where my game is and what I need to improve. I just need to focus 200% and stay positive."

In doubles Sprem is teaming with Russian star, Anna Kournikova.

"Anna and I hope to make a good run at this tournament. My permanent partner, Martina Hingis, isn't playing this event so Anna and I decided to team up. Last week I didn't do so well in doubles so I hope this week I can do better. Anna is a great player and it will be fun to play with her."

Sprem says she has been working on her net game also these past few days.

"My coach wants me to come to net more so he and I have been playing points together at the net. I start at the baseline, then I serve to him, and I have to rush to net. Basically he's wanting me to serve & volley more. I like to come to net, but I still feel more comfortable at the baseline. That's what my coach wants to improve in my game, my confidence at the net."

Last week Karolina had a good run upsetting the #3 seed and her doubles partner before falling in the semifinals.

"Last week I was in good form, but I felt I could have played a lot better. Those things that I felt like I had tweaks in last week, is what I've been working on this week. I feel like I'm in better form then last week and we'll have to see how things turn out. Hopefully I'll be able to make another run."

Sprem's journey starts tomorrow.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,788 Posts
Katarina vs. Virag :eek:

Katarina and Virag will be playing together in doubles again :)

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
Maggie Maleeva needs a doubles partner! :) Anyone interested?

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
Liezel Huber/Magdalena Maleeva

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
Kournikova gets geared up for Cicinnati

Anna Kournikova may be new to the ETPA Tour, but she has made immediat fans already. Kournikova started off her season with a win over Daniilidou last week, and is looking to win some matches here as well.

" My first week at the ETPA Tour was fabulous. I was enjoying myself and had fun on the court. Since I lost early last week, it gave me time to come earlier to Cincinnati and work on my game and get used to my surroundings," Kournikova said during a press conference after her practices on the various courts.

Kournikova practices overheads
during one of her many practice sessions.

Though this tournament is a lower tiered event, there are still some big names playing here. Amongst Kournikova is top 2 seeds Maureen Drak and Daniela Hantuchova, as well as rising stars Karolina Sprem and Liezel Huber.

Kournikova will also be participating in the doubles event here in Cincinnati. Anna will be pairing up with rising Croatian sensation Karolina Sprem. " I saw Sprem play a bit last week and I was impressed. She hits with such incredible pace and she was really fun to watch. Her usualy partner is Hingis, but this week they were playing seperate tournaments so I took her offer when she was looking for a doubles partner. When asked about why she plays doubles, Kournikova responded with, "Doubles is so much fun, it just relaxes you and helps you get match tough and helps you work on your singles game. It's also fun because you get to talk and strategize with someone else on the court."

Kournikova smiles during
her press conference.

We here will enjoy Kournikova's stay as the Wester and Souther Financial Group Women's Open here in Cincinnati, and I'm sure you will as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts