Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread on Wertheim's 'Bag, but I made this a separate thread because it touches on draw fixing. People around here often say certain players get tougher/easier draws, and this question addresses that. Even though it's about the men's game, the women's draws apply.

A friend of mine and I were debating whether draws are "fixed" somewhat by tournament directors eager to see certain players reach the final. At the Tennis Masters Series Montreal, No. 2 seed Juan Carlos Ferrero had No. 3 Roger Federer, No. 5 Lleyton Hewitt, No. 6 Andy Roddick, Sebastien Grosjean and Younes El Aynaoui in his half, while No. 1 seed Andre Agassi had a much weaker competition (more clay-courters) on his side. If one looks at the draws of the majors this year, Agassi definitely has been in the weaker half. Is it my imagination, or is there something going on here?
—Bill Erdman, Boston


Strangely, we got a few questions on this point. As we said last week, we all love conspiracy theories. But this one (much like "Serena scheduled her knee surgery so Venus could win the Open" speculation) is pretty bogus. The seedings go by the entry-system rankings, which are completely objective. Then there is usually a trumped up draw ceremony at which sponsors drink overpriced booze and eat overcooked pigs in blankets and a player of some repute picks the names out of a hat and places them in the brackets. An official monitor is present, etc. For all the ills that plague tennis, I don't think rigging draws is high on the list. Plus, look at how Agassi fared in his "weaker" half of the draw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,491 Posts
at Challengers there si a 'player representative' who witnesses the making of the draw to check it is fair, and often pulls the name out of teh hat herself.

I've seen the draws done, i was qutie excited at the prospect of seeing it, but it was such an anti-climax. The printed out all the girls names, put them in the players racket case and she picked them out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
38 Posts
kim gets cake walk draws

It's no surprise Kim always gets the cakewalk draws. There was this dying need by the wta establishment to see a 'white number 1' who is not obviously the best player. If you think this is false , compare her draws in all the grand slams to that of the williams.
Any one who thinks draws can't be arranged in favor of some players is just plain ignorant of what is going on.


I am challenging anyone to bring up the draws and let's compare the seedings the williams get at the gram slams to that of kim.

If it's just a coicidence , why is it so obvious in all the tournaments and happening concistently to one or two players?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ukari - please inform of us about how the draws can be fixed when player names are drawn right in front of everyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,087 Posts
The typical excuse is that it's always a coincidence about these draws. Yeah right. The topic has been discussed over and over, but I'm still convinced that the draws are rigged to benefit certain players.

It's so obvious, any sane person can't deny it.

However, IMO if you are gonna win a slam noone will stop you.

NOT EVEN DRAW FIXERS.
:D :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
The draws probably aren't fixed for Clijsters, but she is steadily receiving cakewalk draws this year. No arguing that. I think though that the GS DO fix V and S being on opposite sides. Picking one chip out of two definitely can be fixed!! Don't understimate the brain power and sinful nature of humans!! We didn't think an election would be fixed either, but look at Florida and Bush!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's receiving cakewalk draws because the seeds on her side lose (or don't enter at all). She was supposed to play Venus at the French Open, but guess what? Venus lost. Kim was seeded to play Chanda - who had just won a grass tuneup - in the QF at Wimbledon, but guess what? Chanda lost.

It's also not her fault that she beat Davenport and Mauresmo to win her Tier 1 events. She could have played Serena in the finals of Rome, but guess what? Serena lost. Indian Wells is a Tier 1, but the Williams sisters and Henin didn't play.
 
  • Like
Reactions: darren cahill

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
172,293 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Ukari - please inform of us about how the draws can be fixed when player names are drawn right in front of everyone.
if a player draws is then its fine

but in the Football World (FIFA and UEFA have been thought to use HOT/COLD balls in order to FIX draws)
nothings been proved but alot suspect it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
jenglisbe said:
She's receiving cakewalk draws because the seeds on her side lose (or don't enter at all). She was supposed to play Venus at the French Open, but guess what? Venus lost. Kim was seeded to play Chanda - who had just won a grass tuneup - in the QF at Wimbledon, but guess what? Chanda lost.

It's also not her fault that she beat Davenport and Mauresmo to win her Tier 1 events. She could have played Serena in the finals of Rome, but guess what? Serena lost. Indian Wells is a Tier 1, but the Williams sisters and Henin didn't play.
Not true, as far as Grand Slams go, a top four player can only have a "cakewalk" up until the semis, where they are seeded to meet another top four player. If we break down Kim's draws this year we will see that she usually gets the easiest quarterfinal opponents at the slams and big tier 1's, and easier opponents in her half of smaller tournaments. Take a look at her draws and you will see. Like I said it's not her fault, and I'll assume they aren't fixed, but nevertheless she has had extremely easy draws which is why I believe she has 14 semifinal appearances in a row.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
Used to be, the Wimbledon winner didn't have to play the field at all the next year. The winner was seeded into the next year's final.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
38 Posts
I have really no intention of answering any questions about my assertions. I would like those who dispute the fact that wta draws are often more than not unfavorable to the williams to explain otherwise kim's draws. I have given you as proof all the Grand slam draws they get as compared to that of kim clijsters and even Henin. I am challenging anyone to put the draws side by side and let's see the seedings played by kim in all the slams and other tournaments entered by the williams. If you have any evidence to the contrary , explain why she gets these draws all the time.

If there wasn't foul play in the draws, then she will face though draws every now and then and not only the williams until the semis.
That's why something fishy is suspected in her case.

I am still challenging all the pretenders, liers , cheats and hypocrites to put the draws side by side and explain all the obvious constant favorable draws that kim gets. It's obvious there is the posibility someone was trying to unseat the williams. I know there're those who will refute the obvious even if it hit them straight in the face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
Ukari said:
I have really no intention of answering any questions about my assertions. I would like those who dispute the fact that wta draws are often more than not unfavorable to the williams to explain otherwise kim's draws. I have given you as proof all the Grand slam draws they get as compared to that of kim clijsters and even Henin. I am challenging anyone to put the draws side by side and let's see the seedings played by kim in all the slams and other tournaments entered by the williams. If you have any evidence to the contrary , explain why she gets these draws all the time.

If there wasn't foul play in the draws, then she will face though draws every now and then and not only the williams until the semis.
That's why something fishy is suspected in her case.

I am still challenging all the pretenders, liers , cheats and hypocrites to put the draws side by side and explain all the obvious constant favorable draws that kim gets. It's obvious there is the posibility someone was trying to unseat the williams. I know there're those who will refute the obvious even if it hit them straight in the face.
No one is going to want to do this. I asked them a few minutes earlier in my post also. I don't speak out on things unless I have some type of storng argument to back it up, in this case me and you both have hard evidence to bring forth to prove our points. So if they want to challenge i'll just post the draws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Luci said:
Well, I for one was pretty pissed when Serena recieved the two toughest clay courters at the French (no coencidence, yea fucking right) while Clijsters didnt have to play anyone worth mentioning till the final.
Word! It´s funny how whenever a player beats Serena she ends up being in Serena´s half all the time. Kim beat Serena at the championships last year. Guess what?! She ends up in Serena´s half at the oz....and that after Serena was seeded to play the queen of the Oz open: Monica in the qtrs!.

Justine and Amelie beat Serena and what happened at the French?! Serena had to play them BOTH back to back!! And who was Serena´s opponent in the semi´s at Wimbledon?! Right...Juju again!
 
  • Like
Reactions: faboozadoo15

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
And anyone with a brain would have noticed that VENUS and SERENA are always in opposite side of the draw, so it looks more like it's fixed in their favor.
Knizzle said:
]I think though that the GS DO fix V and S being on opposite sides. Picking one chip out of two definitely can be fixed!! Don't understimate the brain power and sinful nature of humans!!
I said this earlier and agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
bandabou said:
Word! It´s funny how whenever a player beats Serena she ends up being in Serena´s half all the time. Kim beat Serena at the championships last year. Guess what?! She ends up in Serena´s half at the oz....and that after Serena was seeded to play the queen of the Oz open: Monica in the qtrs!.

Justine and Amelie beat Serena and what happened at the French?! Serena had to play them BOTH back to back!! And who was Serena´s opponent in the semi´s at Wimbledon?! Right...Juju again!
Don't forget the obsession with Serena/Capriati matches.
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top