Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a Lindsay fan but this is terrible news.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm Davenport, I play the spring hard-court tournaments in the U.S. to keep my ranking in the top five. I skip the clay-court circuit and the French Open, and put in an extra two weeks or so of practice on grass courts. This seems like a reasonable plan.
-- Jamie Prenkert, Bloomington, Ind.
Davenport's best bet, I think, is at the U.S. Open. Remember she won the first set of her semifinal against Svetlana Kuznetsova (the eventual winner) in 19 minutes. Problem is that's seven months away, which means a lot of early morning workouts, nights in hotels, frequent flier miles and therapy sessions in the interim. Especially after that dispiriting and perfunctory Aussie Open final, you wonder if Davenport has it in her. Be sure to catch Davenport while you still can -- book your Indian Wells tickets today.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,799 Posts
Davenport retire? After she has just earned 600K+ in just one month of playing tennis? I don't believe that. :)

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I thought Lindsay has commited to a full schedule? People were speculating that Chris Evert would retire after what happened to be HER last Major final appearance in 1988 at the Australian Open when she lost to Steffi Graf, but not only did she play out 1988 she played through the US Open in 1989. I can't see Lindsay leaving the tour at Indian Wells, but I can see her leaving at the US Open this year...after winning it of course ;)

·
Banned
322 Posts
if she was averse to traveling etc and was desperate to retire why on earth would she have played in Japan in both singles and doubles when she could have gone straight home after the Aus Open.

there are very few players who want out of the sport when they are number 1 and after not being on top for so long i can't see lindsay saying that's it until she gets at least another shot at wimbledon or the US Open which were both tournaments she could/should have won.

it's funny how she really should have won the last 3 slams. imagine if she had - no retirement talk at all i would imagine existing.

·
Banned
322 Posts
of course i meant she could/should have one them last year. we all should know she's won both already.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
didnt davenport win the first set in their most recent encounter in 19mins as well.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,799 Posts
davenportdude said:
I think she will play until at least the US Open.
And then.. then she will easily be already qualified for Masters and that's too much of a paycheck plus a chance to retire in her home town. She'll play till the end of the season, I am sure.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
ys said:
Davenport retire? After she has just earned 600K+ in just one month of playing tennis? I don't believe that. :)

exactly. She is in it for the $$$ as much as for the titles.

After she doesn't win Wimbly or the USO, though, she will call it quits.

·
Banned
322 Posts
when she has 20 millions in prize money and probably close to the same in sponsor ship money i kind of think prize money will very welcomed would play quite a small role in the decision to keep going compared to her desire to win another slam.

vogus you are red like me. did you accuse zhao of being mean as well?

·
Premium Member
29,327 Posts
ys said:
And then.. then she will easily be already qualified for Masters and that's too much of a paycheck plus a chance to retire in her home town. She'll play till the end of the season, I am sure.
Notice the use of the phrase "at least" ;)

·
Registered
23,638 Posts
Well... Lindsay will definately play till the year end... It seems to strange to end halfway in a year... I would love to see her grab the Roland Garros title and show that she's good on all surface and can win if she wants to...

Of course, I think she really wants the US Open... that'll be a great end too... I really hope good things for her... IT's terrible to see how dear Amanda ending the tour suddenly and I hope Lindsay fans won't get to see that happen to Lindsay...

·
Registered
23,638 Posts
Aretha Franklin said:
if she was averse to traveling etc and was desperate to retire why on earth would she have played in Japan in both singles and doubles when she could have gone straight home after the Aus Open.

there are very few players who want out of the sport when they are number 1 and after not being on top for so long i can't see lindsay saying that's it until she gets at least another shot at wimbledon or the US Open which were both tournaments she could/should have won.

it's funny how she really should have won the last 3 slams. imagine if she had - no retirement talk at all i would imagine existing.
I think for this case the travelling din matter...Tokyo is a very enjoyable event for her...just like Babsi liking Australian Open...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Aretha Franklin said:
when she has 20 millions in prize money and probably close to the same in sponsor ship money i kind of think prize money will very welcomed would play quite a small role in the decision to keep going compared to her desire to win another slam.

vogus you are red like me. did you accuse zhao of being mean as well?

if you have 15 million in the bank and you have the chance to make another 3 or 4 million in the space of a few months, that seems like a pretty significant amount to pad your savings by.

i just have a lot of enemies on the board between the Williams, Davenport, and Mauresmo fans, while the players i support - JHH, Dementieva, Petrova, Clisters, Schnyder, arent that popular on the board right now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lindsay has said for the last few years that she would like to have children by the time she is 30. She turns 29 in June of this year so maybe her retirement date will depend on how things develop in that way.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Seriously though, if Lindsay retires soon (which i hope not) she has a dream life ahead of her. She's only 28, and her life can really begin. She has a nice husband, all the money she could want, fame, and I can DEFINITELY see Lindsay as a commentator for tennis. She has a dream lifea ahead of her for sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.