Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start a thread. She is 17 y/o from Wrocław. Girl has a big game, single-handed forehand and just made Junior AO SEMIFINAL.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Her single-handed backhand is even more worthy of a mention than her single-handed forehand ;)

I must admit I'm aware of her for a long time, and never in a million years would I expect her to make such a run through the draw. Anyone saw that coming?

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. My bad about that BH. ?
So far she hasn't achieved great junior result. The best result was European Junior Championship in doubles last year (pairing Martyna Kubka)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I've watched a couple of her matches and been very impressed, especially the quarter-final against Cody Wong, who has already been successful on the ITF circuit as well as playing Fed Cup for Hong Kong. It took me a while to work out what was different before it struck me - that backhand! I mentioned her in one of the other threads as being a new Aga type - quiet, unhurried but looking like she has all the time in the world, and good control of the court.

Of course she's taller than Aga, her serve is quicker and her backhand is different, but I think that she could possibly join Iga and Maja as the new faces of Polish tennis. It's not restricted to these three, of course, but you guys should be quite proud of the talent that you have coming through.

·
Retired
5,872 Posts
And now she's in the final! :)
Actually she has been on a good winning strake over the last three months, winning two juniors titles (although J3 "only"). Today's win increases her record to 17W/1L on her last 18 matches!

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks all Saturday it will be raining in Melbourne so the match will bw played indoors. Sounds good news for Weronika. Lot will depend also if she can be fully fit. She finished quite late and the match is at early afternoon.

·
Retired
5,872 Posts
I didn't see the match but it seems like she made a good start but ended up spraying too much errors, losing 7-5 2-6 2-6.
Anyway she was a fantastic surprise for Polish tennis to start 2020 with! She said after the match that she plans to play a bit more juniors this year and that she intends to make her debuts on the WTA tour after the US Open, which seems a bit late to me, I hope she will give a try at some ITF's before at least (now she can do it in Poland during the summer).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There is something refined and monumental about Weronika, I will definitely follow her results ?

However... I'm not sure if there's a future for her tbh, she is very limited on all of her shots and movement, has a very junior-like court positioning, and that BH technique is super low percentage and quite atrocious for now... The fact she wants to play juniors throughout her 18s is bizarre

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like her mindset. She seems very mature and thinks on court. I really appreciate how compose and calm she is. I don't know how big impact injury had on her game in final but she was too slow. She needs to improve her technique and movement. That's for sure. She already has a very decent serve which favours her.

I see her name for junior G2 in Lithuania and junior G1 in Russia so yeah it looks she will yet stick to juniors.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dad was the one who took me to the tennis courts when I was 4. These were group trainings with kids and I loved it from the beginning. I love the sport until now and play tennis with a big pleasure. I don't have much time for going out with friends but on weekends I try to find time to go out and hang out with friends or to cinema. My coach Krzysztof Czubak has been coaching me since the very beginning - for 14 years already.

Right now I trained a lot - 4 months of break, I made a huge progress so I will take an advantage on it on tour. I will resume playing tournaments in August so I hope to have great results. Since the lockdown, I've been training on clay and my first tournaments will be on that surface.

I've been dreaming to win a Grand Slam and be number one in the world. But calm down, that's a long way to go. I know that's all about hard work, patience and resistance - those are the keys to the success. I have my solutions to motivate. I can do it myself but on the court I am calm. No screaming. That was a big experience for me to play on Rod Laver Arena. I was so stressed. Those cameras were all around me and were zooming to my face even when I was sitting on the bench. That was new for me. There is difference to play on the big court and the big space around me. Because of the high roof I had a problem to toss the ball to serve. A big space and echo also make the match different.

During the break I had a great cooking experience, I also had time to meet friends.

·
Retired
5,872 Posts
Weronika is also on the entry list of 15k Oeiras on the week of August 17 (thanks to @AwonderfulKiwi for noticing) :)
I can't believe this will be her very first attempt at a professional tournament. Hopefully she will do well, though this event has an unbelievably packed field for a 15k (cut-off at No.286 as for now, but the withdrawal deadline has yet to come). Her participation in the U23 Polish Champs will be a good practice.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that is a nice surprise to see her play there. I though she would rather play National Tournaments till the end of August and then some junior ITFs till Roland Garros.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts