Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
yeah she played Doubles.

I saw some of the match while you were watching Eleni beat Panova in the first set! :)

She wasn't much of a player and hit some terrible shots, but nerves probably played a bit of a part. Inoue, her doubles partner certainly wasn't doing anything to help her cause as she was volleying attrociously. I can't see her getting much higher in the rankings, player like Van Elden, Stosur etc are far superior in ability.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Stephens Struggles But Wins In Wellington

Top seed Shelley Stephens almost became a casualty in the first round of the Allfield Apartments ITF Tennis International US$10,000 event but somehow managed to score a three set win and continued her quest for more match practice.

The 21 year old beat Australian Donna McIntyre 6/3 4/6 6/4.

Even if Stephens wins the singles title which would mean going one better than last year her ranking would be unlikely to improve dramatically however the Wellington tournament is being used as practice for some big events coming up.

"This tournament isn't really for rankings. It's for matches. It's not going to move my ranking anywhere but I want to play matches before I go to other tournaments," she said.
Next Wednesday Stephens is off to the middle east to try and improve her doubles ranking and mix it with the big names of women's tennis in tier 3 and 2 events in Doha and Dubai respectively.
"I go to Doha and Dubai which are big events and will hopefully get in the doubles main draws and maybe play some singles qualifying, so I'm really keen to spend some time on court here in Wellington."

Stephens won the first set of her match with relative ease 6/3 but then struggled against McIntyre who she had beaten 6/3 6/2 in the quarterfinals of the Wellington Open last week.

"She (McIntyre) played quite well...a lot better than last week. She had nothing to lose and went for her shots," said Stephens.
"It was hard to get a rhythm today the wind was blowing from different directions from different ends to start with. It wasn't a great start, but it's a win."

Stephens plays Japanese opponent Hiromi Okazaki tomorrow in what should be a straightforward match. Okazaki defeated local junior Makere Bradnam 6/2 6/1 in the first round.

In other matches Auckland's Ilke Gers was made to work hard against Eden Marama but eventually came away the winner 6/4 6/4. Marama showed that for all of her 15 years she has the shots of a player a lot older and only needs to play more tennis and mature to be real upset material in senior tournaments.

Gers now faces Japanese player Kanako Yano, a qualifier who was a 6/4 6/1 victory over Switzerland's Sabrina Corazza.

Second seeded Australian, Rochelle Rosenfield the Wellington Open champion ran down every ball in her win over Chin-Wei Chan 6/1 6/2 and will now play fellow Aussie Cassandra Barr in the second round.

Julie Scott made her way into the second round by becoming a lucky loser when Diana Gherghi became a no-show. Scott was called up to fill in and then beat Auckland teenager Ana Corbett 6/2 6/2. Scott plays Australian junior Adriana Szili who thrashed Keiko Tameishi for the loss of just one game.

The doubles main draw starts today (Thursday) with Stephens and Gers given a bye through to the second round.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Full 1st Round Results

STEPHENS Shelley NZL(1) def MCINTYRE Donna AUS 63 46 64
OKAZAKI Hiromi JPN def BRADNAM Makere NZL(WC) 62 61
SCOTT Julie NZL(LL) def CORBETT Ana NZL(Q) 62 62
SZILI Adriana AUS def TAMEISHI Keiko JPN(6) 60 61
O'CONNOR Tracey NZL(4) def ZABUSKY Hadas AUS 61 60
WELFORD Tiffany AUS def WELFORD Julianne AUS(Q) 60 60
WEIDEMANN Svenja GER def BREADMORE Lauren AUS(Q) 61 63
SUER Madita GER(8) def JOHNSON Lucy NZL(Q) 61 62
CHUANG Chia-Jung TPE(7) def STONE Sarah AUS 75 60
IVANOV Darya AUS(Q) def CHAO Hsiao-Han TPE 26 64 75
YANO Kanako JPN(Q) def CORAZZA Sabrina SUI 64 61
GERS Ilke NZL(3) def MARAMA Eden NZL(WC) 64 64
KRIZ Nicole AUS(5) def POSKITT Jennifer NZL(WC) 62 61
CHEUNG Lauren AUS def O'ROURKE Natalie NZL(Q) 60 60
BARR Cassandra AUS def WILKINSON Angie NZL(Q) 60 60
ROSENFIELD Rochelle AUS(2) def CHAN Chin-Wei TPE 62 61

2nd Round Match Ups

STEPHENS Shelley NZL(1) vs OKAZAKI Hiromi JPN
SCOTT Julie NZL(LL) vs SZILI Adriana AUS
O'CONNOR Tracey NZL(4) vs WELFORD Tiffany AUS
WEIDEMANN Svenja GER vs SUER Madita GER(8)
CHUANG Chia-Jung TPE(7) vs IVANOV Darya AUS(Q)
YANO Kanako JPN(Q) vs GERS Ilke NZL(3)
KRIZ Nicole AUS(5) vs CHEUNG Lauren AUS
BARR Cassandra AUS vs ROSENFIELD Rochelle AUS(2)

·
Premium Member
21,420 Posts
Thanx 4 the scores :)

Impressive easy wins by Adriana and Rochelle! Adriana is in fine form atm and I strongly believe that she is one of the title favorites. She played great in beating many of her higher ranked Aussies at the Aussie Assault and also played well at AO qualies and doubles.

I think Shelley is definately beatable and I'd like to see an Adriana v Rochelle final...Rochelle was a real promising junior a few years ago (and was unlucky to miss out on an AO qualy wildcard), and this year will hopefully be her breakthrough year.

·
Premium Member
182,302 Posts
poor Julie Ann ..... getting double bagled by your sis ..... that is too much.

Its a big ouch :mad:

well done
Shelley ;)
Adriana Szili :)
Nicole Kriz :)
Rochelle Rosenfield :)

ouch for the kiwi Q
Angie Wilkinson and Natalie O'Rourke , both got double bagled :eek:

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
Sartrista, you've noticed Keiko too. :p
Poor Keiko, I was hoping she'd get a couple more games. :sad:

Good wins for Hiromi, Chia-Jung and Kanako. :)

Nice double bagel, Lauren. ;)

Tough luck Hsiao-Han and Chin-Wei. :(

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I'd love to know how Keiko finances her 'career'. She can't win more than a couple of matches each year, but she plays over 30 tournaments!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,511 Posts
well, congrats to Ilke, I hope she can go all the way here now :)

too bad for Eden, a tough draw for her, hope she can keep improving though :)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
good luck to.,.
OKAZAKI
SZILI
WELFORD
IVANOV
KRIZ
ROSENFIELD

·
Registered
208 Posts
Eden lives in Paris. There was an article about her today in the paper but I am buggered if I can find it. They also said why Leanne was playing but I am totally lost as to where it is. This tournament obviously isn't rated important enough for the main NZ newspaper to cover. Our local is good though cause Leanne is a local.

The problem with NZ tennis is a little like British tennis. Instead of pouring all of this money into boys and girls over 20 or even 18 for that fact we need to be doing something for the youngsters. We have some really good juniors who compete in Aus etc and do real well. We can beat AUS in the juniors but then we struggle to keep up when they get older. I mean Shelley Stephens and Leanner Baker etc aren't worth putting the money in anymore.

Brenda Perry had alot to say about this when the ASB Bank Classic was on because she has been a player and works for the WTA now but it seems Tennis NZ doesn't want to listen what she has to say. She is mentor for GD Jones who is a pretty good 14 year old boy. Tennis NZ haven't helped him one bit money wise, his mum and dad have had to support him. Someone needs a shake up at Tennis NZ.

·
Premium Member
21,420 Posts
Round 2

1)Stephens d Okazaki 6-0 6-0 :eek:
Szili d Scott 6-1 6-2 :cool:
4)O'Connor d Welford 7-6 6-4 :(
8)Suer d Weidemann 7-5 6-2
Ivanov d 7)Chuang 7-6 6-2 :)
3)Gers d Yano 6-3 6-2
5)Kriz d Cheung 6-1 7-6 :)
2)Rosenfield d Barr 6-2 6-1 :)

Go Adriana! Take out the top seed now!

·
Premium Member
182,302 Posts
way to go Shelley ;)

also well done

Rochelle :)
Darya :)
Nicole ;)
Adriana :)

bad luck Tiffany :sad:

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,511 Posts
good stuff Ilke, keep going :)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
First Round Doubles

1 Stephens/Gers bye
Barr/Welford(AUS) bt Bradnam/Wilkinson(NZL) 6/4 6/4
4 Chan/Chuang(TPE) bt McIntyre(AUS)/Weidemann(GER) 6/2 7/6(5)
Okazaki/Yano(JPN) bt Johnson/Poskitt(NZL) 6/1 6/2
Breadmore(AUS)/Marama(NZL) bt Ivanov/T Welford(AUS) 2/6 6/4 6/2
3 Chao(TPE)/Tamieshi(JPN) bt Corazza(SUI)/Zabusky(AUS) 6/4 6/3
Cheung/Szili(AUS) bt Corbett/O'Rourke(NZL) 6/0 6/2
2 Kriz/Stone(AUS) bt O'Connor(NZL)/Suer(GER) 3/6 6/0 6/3

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shelley Stephens lost today. She was beaten 6-1, 6-0 by the 17 year old Australian Adrianna Szili who is ranked about 400 places below Shelley.

·
Premium Member
182,302 Posts
poor Shelley :(

Nicole Kriz d. Rochelle Rosenfield 6-2 6-3 :)
Ilke Gers d. Darya Ivanov 6-4 6-4
Tracey OConnor d. Madita Suer 6-0 2-6 6-4

well done Nicole :)

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,511 Posts
keep going Ilke :D

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wow, Go Adriana!!!! I knew you could do it!

Well Done Nicole too! An impressive win. Hope its an all aussie final!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts