Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I take back everything I've said about Dementieva's serve.
That thing is HARD to return. Obviously I didn't play Dementieva herself, but I just played this dude that serves exactly like her. Toss way to the right, falls backwards and slices the ball to the forehand every time.

Because its so slow and so off pace I just couldnt time it.

To imagine my game, basically I have a Serena copied forehand, Venus copied backhand, and a Venus/Serena mix copied serve.

Every return the first set I hit was either way out or a winner. I wasn't even trying to hit winners, but because of my swing, I generate a lot of pace and when I tried to slow it down it just became tentative. UGH! It was soooo anoying.

I lost 6-2 6-2, and I returned a bit better in the second but his game is full of Junk. Once the points get started he just slices everything and just gives no rhythem.

Help! :fiery:

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I am Elena Dementeiva when playing tennis. Our servive non-motion is even similar.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaygee said:
surprise is the key here, placement over speed.
its not suprising though. I think I hit maybe 3 or 4 backhand returns, and thats only because I'd get so frustrated I would try and run around (which is hard to do with your backhand)

Its sooooo annoying!! Dang't Andrew, your style of play makes tennis agonizing ;)

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Its sooooo annoying!! Dang't Andrew, your style of play makes tennis agonizing ;)
My lack of service pace absolutely drives people mad. Then they look shocked when I hit huge groundstrokes. I do with my serve was better though. Because the double faults suck.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew. said:
My lack of service pace absolutely drives people mad. Then they look shocked when I hit huge groundstrokes. I do with my serve was better though. Because the double faults suck.
I used to have that problem. Try accelerating with your serve. Even if the motion is warped, and it goes out everytime, just practice and practice and eventually you'll go in.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,950 Posts
Man, you did nearly as well as Davenport. :yeah:

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
ys said:
Man, you did nearly as well as Davenport. :yeah:
L. Davenport def. E. Dementieva 6-4 6-2
L. Davenport def. E. Dementeiva 6-3 6-4

End.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,950 Posts
Andrew. said:
L. Davenport def. E. Dementieva 6-4 6-2
L. Davenport def. E. Dementeiva 6-3 6-4

End.
You are as good as your last match.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he was referring to 6-1 6-3 at Roland Garros.

And the problem with the serve, I can see why Davenport was frustrated, you feel like you should hit a winner every time, and you should break everytime

And when you dont it drives you nuts

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,950 Posts
mmcdonald said:
I think he was referring to 6-1 6-3 at Roland Garros.

And the problem with the serve, I can see why Davenport was frustrated, you feel like you should hit a winner every time, and you should break everytime

And when you dont it drives you nuts
This serve not only looks bad. It is incredibly inconsistent, goes all kind of places, varies in pace, amount of slice. You probably could not get any rythm returning..

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
ys said:
You are as good as your last match.
So Elena sucks then, judging by the loss to Kleinova? :wavey:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
i hate playing people like that, it gets so annoying, because i like to smack winners on second serves, all the off pace stuff annoys me, but i'm getting alot better at dealing with it, i can hit some off pace slice serves, but i usually hit flat on my first serve, and then i have a pretty good kick serve

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ys said:
This serve not only looks bad. It is incredibly inconsistent, goes all kind of places, varies in pace, amount of slice. You probably could not get any rythm returning..
that was it. Sometimes it would go waaay out wide, and I'd literally have to stand in the doubles alley, buy I was afraid to do that because he also uses a kick serve (rarely, maybe 3 times) and I didnt want to get stuck

·
Registered
605 Posts
you over rate yourself, a serena and venus mixed serve :x

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jan. said:
you over rate yourself, a serena and venus mixed serve :x
It is, the first one is good, the second is sucky :p :tape:

no what i meant was that I once had a serve copied straight from V, but that didn't work
then I tried Serena's, that didnt work either. So I mixed them

I rock into my serve like Serena, but the swing is reminiscent of Venus's.
So a good first serve, and a not as bad second serve :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts