Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
And then she is flamed out Age 22 or 23. The Hype around her particularly in Canada is similar to Bouchard in 2014. Not good!
Genie wasn't well surrounded like Bianca is. Her team right now can make her do all the right things she needs to do. Genie wanted to do everything her way and she took all the wrong decisions. Genie is probably not as bright as Bianca is. The declined handshake incident proves that.

·
Registered
23,797 Posts
I'm not comparing the Game of those two. I compare the Hype and that looks pretty similar to 2014 which was very unhealthy. Canadian Sports Journalists like Tebbutt, Caroline Cameron, Arash Madani, Bob Bettnauer really have learned nothing here it seems. They need to give the girl some space!
Well, in fairness, I think Arash has a learning disability...

at least I hope he does.

·
Registered
33,169 Posts
Andreescu doesn't have the same hype as Bouchard had in 2014. That was insane, especially in Quebec.

Anyway, everyone in Canadian tennis learned from her mistakes and most of the parents are now happy to let Tennis Canada manage everything. She'll be fine. The national program is overrated but they sure have more experience than a Westmount housewife with some issues.

People will start to figure out her game but she seems solid enough to stay inside the top 10 for as long as she wants to (or is healthy enough). Who knew a few drop shots and a few moonballs could wreck the entire field?:lol:

·
Premium Member
Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
5,205 Posts
I've been follwing Canadian Tennis since 2010 so I really know what I'm talking about. These Canadian Journalists need to shut up. It's not good for Bianca, puts too much Expectations on her.

We've already seen with Felix & Shapo how they melted away like ice-cream when facing pressure.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
She seems like she'll be a mainstay top 10 player for years.

Of course injury is always a concern, just like it was for Bencic.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
LOL TennisFed is here!!!!!!!!!
He was genie's biggest hater on tennis.com but her biggest lover here.
He is not sane on the subject of Canadian players at all.
I know this poster from way back.

So welcome to the top 10 Bianca.
You are blowing everyone's minds, with your incredible tennis.
Every time i see her now, I am impressed all over again.
Last night I thought she was cooked `1rst set, then she gradually figured it out, and it was thrilling to witness. So much heart and so much head too, and so so much fantastic physicality. She seems to hit some shots, do some moves as well as the men. The overhead? The sliding? Insane.
I'm waiting for the slump, it has to come, but for now, her star is still rising.
If it all ends here USO, it won't be a letdown. She'd done so much. But I think she beats bencic too. Serena is another story.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Bianca has won IW and Toronto so far and no way will the WTA title count stop there.

Genie has won Nuremberg.

Comparisons are inevitable but there’s no competition.

What a fantastic achievement for Bianca to go from No.152 at start of year to potentially very deep within the top 10 :) a gameplay and personality that you’d have to try hard to dislike. WTA rejoice!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
People will start to figure out her game
I don't think it's quite that easy. Bianca doesn't have just one game. She changes tactics on the fly and when she faces an opponent for the first time she tries various things until she finds something that works or uses a shot her opponent can't handle very well. This is why she wins so many 3-setters.

If there is one obvious tell she has, it's to slice a short ball or heavy high/mooball, and then follow up with power. This one-two punch "off-pace followed by pace" has caught her opponents off-guard a lot, and it's the one tactic they will probably better prepare for.

Other than that she has 3 or 4 playing styles and she'll cycle through them until she finds her opponent's weakness. It's not so easy to prepare for that.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Recently Bianca has been getting leaner and fitter. The last time she has needed a MTO was a long time ago, before the injury and there are no signs of cramping anymore. Her team is doing a great job. She's also intensively gaining experience.
Expect her to be in the Top5 (perhaps 4th) later this year because she has almost no points to defend but the other Top Tenners do.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tennis wise, she has it all, but her body will remain an issue. Bencic is in the mirror and not only for the face. Take care, girl.

·
Registered
23,797 Posts
Yeah, there is definitely hype, but it certainly feels like much less hype than it was for Genie, at least where I am in Canada.

Some have said, that is because Genie is more camera-friendly, but I think a sports announcer here said it best, "we are suffering from Genie PTSD here", so we're a little shell-shocked and wary of putting our faith all-in on another tennis star.

·
Registered
20,551 Posts
I don’t think you can compare the two. Genie of course received a lot of international hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,551 Posts
Genie wasn't well surrounded like Bianca is. Her team right now can make her do all the right things she needs to do. Genie wanted to do everything her way and she took all the wrong decisions. Genie is probably not as bright as Bianca is. The declined handshake incident proves that.

To be fair it is very easy to say it now. Let’s wait and see what happened when Bianca will face some big adversity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,769 Posts
And then she is flamed out Age 22 or 23. The Hype around her particularly in Canada is similar to Bouchard in 2014. Not good!
Of course there are no guarantees. But I'll give you a point of difference. I never believed the hype of Bouchard. I thought she was just a freshman's confidence run and that she had very obvious holes in her game that would get exposed if she didn't tweak them - basically her anticipation and reaction to deep balls (and hence, counter/defense), and her serve. I was right about the holes. I just didn't expect the "exposed" bit to bit that harsh. When I watch Andreescu, what I see is a woman with a gameplan and a unique arsenal of shots that she can confidently employ and backs herself. She just feels a lot more watertight than Bouchard did. She's not one dimensional and she has a good mix of offensive play and also controlled rally ball. If one thing that she could improve is her footwork and movement. She is doing alright despite not having Halep like movement. I sincerely hope she proves you wrong.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I am concerned about Andreescu's knee.
She keeps massaging her knee and on one point she looked in significant pain from her knee.
Andy may take a month off after the USO to let her knee heal.
Her injury in the spring was in her shoulder.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
I hope they are both healthy and can play their best games.
I believe there is no one on the tour that can match Serena's best game... They all know it. When Serena is on, there is no competition.
But players cannot play their best game at every match. So they only hope is that Serena comes out flat.
We get it. Thank you !!!!

·
Registered
23,797 Posts
I am concerned about Andreescu's knee.
She keeps massaging her knee and on one point she looked in significant pain from her knee.
Andy may take a month off after the USO to let her knee heal.
Her injury in the spring was in her shoulder.
The knee is fine now I believe, she was just in brief pain because she hit herself in the knee when attempting a lob.

Reactions: ziggy2shus3
41 - 60 of 70 Posts