Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speculations from fans and detractors alike aside, Dani can speak for herself on the issue:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,10069,952167,00.html

Hantuchova shows her strength then denies anorexia problem

Richard Jago in Berlin
Friday May 9, 2003
The Guardian

Daniela Hantuchova last night answered with actions and words those who have been saying she is anorexic. The Slovakian admits she is significantly below her fighting weight of 8st 8lb but made a great fightback from within two points of defeat to reach the quarter-finals of the German Open and rebutted suggestions that she is ill.

"I need to get back to what my weight was," Hantuchova acknowledged, "and it's something I'm working on. Many girls would like to be in my situation instead of trying to lose weight, because it's easy to gain weight. That is no problem at all."

The 20-year-old, who stands 5ft 11in, insisted she felt strong and fit, something supported by her recovery from 3-5 and 15-30 down in the final set against the Swiss teenager Marie-Gaiane Mikaelian to win 4-6, 6-4, 7-6. Hantuchova later played three sets of doubles.

Her British coach Nigel Sears said: "She also came through six sets in a day at Charleston [last month], so I don't think her fitness is in question. I think what's happened has done so because Daniela puts everything into her tennis and because she eats too well. Because she cuts out all the rubbish now and eats so healthily, we missed the balance of calories in and calories out. It's because of eating well that she needs to eat more."

Hantuchova, the world No9, is clearly upset by what she believes to be insensitive speculation but added: "I am just trying to eat normally. I eat almost everything, especially what my mum cooks. I always look forward to that. Unfortunately it's not as often as I would like."

It is hard to argue with her claim that her fitness is good, although her appearance in recent months has become even more spare. She claims her hard work pre-season is responsible not only for this change but also for the condition which has helped her keep a place in the world's top 10.

On the other hand, neither has she risen and today she will experience a far more rigorous test from the top-seeded Kim Clijsters, who appears refreshed after a recent five-week break from competition. Sherecovered well from 2-5 in the first set to win 7-5, 6-3 against the Colombian Fabiola Zuluaga.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Tarsius said:
I think what's happened has done so because Daniela puts everything into her tennis and because she eats too well. Because she cuts out all the rubbish now and eats so healthily, we missed the balance of calories in and calories out. It's because of eating well that she needs to eat more."
ONLY healthy food... :rolleyes: poor thing!! Perhaps we should send her chocolate and stuff :)

I would send her some "Ritter Sport", it's the best german chocolate and you get kinda addicted to it :D Perhaps some of you know it :wavey:

:bounce: Candy for Dani from the Cocktail Party :bounce:

·
Registered
743 Posts
moogle san said:
ONLY healthy food... :rolleyes: poor thing!! Perhaps we should send her chocolate and stuff :)

I would send her some "Ritter Sport", it's the best german chocolate and you get kinda addicted to it :D Perhaps some of you know it :wavey:

:bounce: Candy for Dani from the Cocktail Party :bounce:
Yep, Moogle, I know "Ritter Sport", it's absoloutly outstanding !
We should send her a big pack, she'll win the French with it !
I don't know at which hotel she'll be :confused:
maybe the "Concorde Lafayette" like most of the
players :confused:
:p

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
paulhc said:
haha !! Miss Pinky also at "Concorde Lafayette"...waw, what a diva !
Of course, it is all paid for by Sanex :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had a look at that hotel on a website and decided that I couldn't afford to sneeze in their toilets, let alone stay there for two nights!! I'm not that rich!!

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
GrahamD said:
I had a look at that hotel on a website and decided that I couldn't afford to sneeze in their toilets, let alone stay there for two nights!! I'm not that rich!!

haha well since i'm SUPER rich.. i'll buy everyone a sovenir! lol right.. :rolleyes:

haha SO EXCITIED PPL! ugh FRENCH OPEN! :bounce:

·
Registered
743 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
haha well since i'm SUPER rich.. i'll buy everyone a sovenir! lol right.. :rolleyes:

haha SO EXCITIED PPL! ugh FRENCH OPEN! :bounce:
Can't you buy a two day stay to Graham, he would
die for that ! Come on, be nice, Sanex Hero...

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
No Pinky!! Nooooo!! Just make sure you talk to Princess Dani and tell her all about the Cocktail Party and that we'd really love her to come and visit and say Hi :wavey: one day.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
paulhc said:
Can't you buy a two day stay to Graham, he would
die for that ! Come on, be nice, Sanex Hero...
Yeh, well said Paul ;) Yeh, be nice to me!! ;) Remember that magazine I sent you Pinky? LOL!! You owe me BIG TIME!!! ;) jk ;)

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
GrahamD said:
Yeh, well said Paul ;) Yeh, be nice to me!! ;) Remember that magazine I sent you Pinky? LOL!! You owe me BIG TIME!!! ;) jk ;)

haha will you be able to fit in my suitcase..?? cause i'll sneak u in... lol :bounce:

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
GrahamD said:
...and where am I going to sleep? In your gold-plated bath? lol ;)

lol,... yo man im not rich.. lol

you can go into Daniela's room.. :rolleyes: lol

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
No Doubt said:
lmao graham!!
GOD!!.....such a chore ah? ;)

and since my cousin will *snore* i guess i will hafta bunk with Marat, Juan Carlos, or Andy... :sad: o well...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts