Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went today, and I had a good time even though I chose not to watch much tennis. I got there late (about 11.45) and sat next to two OAP's - I always get them, it was during the Jane/Maggie match and they talked and talked and talked all the way through :eek: At one point one asked the other what nationality Maggie Maleeva was to which the other replied, "She's Russian" :rolleyes: I always seem to be sat by the casual OAP fan who doesn't relly know much about the tour :eek:

I tried watching a bit of the Daniilidou/Tu match, once the rain stopped but I just couldn't sit through THAT serve (BTW, I was so intriegued - no, bored that I timed her serve. It lasted between 6 and ten seconds - plus the toss goes soooooo far up that it takes another minute before it comes back down!)

So I left that match in the hands of Daniilidou at 7-5, 2-1ish and went to watch the end of Martina/Alicia practice session. I then joined the crowd of kids (I was the 21 year old amounst an army of tweenies!) waiting for an autograph. I got Alicia's first; when I asked her for her autograph she said, "sure, no problem", I thanked her, and she thanked me :confused: and went on her way while I rejoined the crowd of tweenies.

I took this opportunity to take a couple of photos of Martina whilst she was signing things, and I waited my turn for an autograph when this kid from behind struggled through and pushed in. She was only about 10 years old and she appologised to me and was going to let me retake up my place in line/crowd (whatever). Then stupid me (who has a soft spot for kids - DOH!) :rolleyes: said, "no it's OK - you go first!" Just after that kid got the Autograph, Martina did a "runner" and left me without an autograph :sad: At least I have Wimbledon to try and get one!

Before this, I saw one of my tennis heroines [not sure if that's the right word], Corina Morariu (the reason why she is, is because of what she has been through - and over come). I'm sure my face told a thousend thoughts :eek: Once Martina left the practice courts, I planted myself down on the grass verge for about an hour - just waiting to get Corina's autograph..........I was not going to leave the Priory Club with out it! Corina was practicing with Stubbs and after about half an hour of me still being there when even when the crowd of Martina 'hunters' had gone it seemed I was getting some suprised looks from them - there was just me there for a while.......hope they didn't think I was a stalker :eek: LOL

Stubbs came away first and I strategically approached her with my autographed tennis ball and perminant marker and asked her for an autograph, she signed and I thanked her "very much" and she just said; "that's OK".......boy, I'm having excessively long conversations with these players ;) LOL Then Corina left the courts - but in the opposite direction, and again......because by now I had perfected the art of asking for autographs I strategically moved over towards her direction - but this time in an extremely star-struck manner I couldn't get the words out to ask for her autograph so I justed smiled and handed her the pen and ball. Corina smiled back, she signed it and again I said, but this time with a bit more feeling and appriciation I said, "Thank you very much" to which she replied, "you're very welcome".

As you can tell, I had such in-depth conversations with these players ;) LOL Does anyone have any tips on how I could possible extend my vocabulary, whilst at the same time not getting "start-struck". I'd hate to think I meet Lindsay and never say anything highly motivating or encouraging to her. If I was this in owe [not sure if that's the right word - never was good at english even though it is my first language ;) LOL) of Corina, then how much worse will I be if I meet Lindsay at Wimby? :eek:

bye for now :wavey:
-Rachel :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
in awe*

anyway good report! =)

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
lmao at your report RayRob. Glad you got those autographs!

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I got starstruck when I met Sarah Borwell on Saturday ;) It was her that started it by asking me how I was (after she had just lost) I was flabbergasted and it took me a while to reply, I was so shocked, i asked her for her autograph and continuing the short conversation, I asked her if she was playing doubles & also said that she'd be in the top 250 by the end of the year, although I bet she thought I was stupid :D I also said a similar thing to Kelly Liggan, where I congratulated her on her fantastic week at Surbiton, and also consoling her for her defeat to Serra-Zanetti. ;) Perhaps it just takes practice to talk to these superstars ;) And I will be seeing more on Saturday :bounce: I will hopefully be practising my technique then!

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
Thanks so much for the reports Rachel! :)

Lol I know what you mean about getting star struck and your long conversations with the players, because I'm exactly the same and the last two years I've been at Wimby, I've got autographs from so many players I really admire. I just have hardly been able to say more to them than thank you! :eek: It's really annoying because I want to say more!!

Oh well maybe I'll manage this time when I go there in just under 2 weeks!

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
i think the most i've ever managed has been "that was a great match, a good fight-back there".

i was at Edgbaston today, and got autographs from nicole pratt (seemed like a miserable cow, but then she'd just lost), virginie razzano, and eleni danilidou (who lost in the doubles, but still seemed cool).

i just feel so embarassed to ask for an autograph or photo, because you can tell they just wanna walk back with their coach, get into the clubhouse etc.

it's also "not cool" among players to go autograph-hunting. i think many find it equally embarassing, especially when its adults who go up to them.

i actually try to chat to the coach/trainer (samantha stevenson excepted).

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's also "not cool" among players to go autograph-hunting. i think many find it equally embarassing, especially when its adults who go up to them.
:eek: I know, I have figured that - i know I'm an adult but I like to keep a bit of a momento to prove/remind me that I saw them........not sure I'd ever ask for a photo - far to embarassing I think :eek: especially for the players, I'm sure!

Thanks for your replies :)
-Rachel :wavey:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
The coaches are real cool here. I set next to Elenas mum in the doubles, yesturday, and I stood behind, Dechys coach, with Foretz and Likhotseva playing.

I watched Masha wins her first round match, with all the grunting farce going on. She does grunt load, loader then Monica. When she tried to stop, it just made it worse!!

Then I watch Alex fuck up big time!!! Then I hung around, watching Alicia, and Martina knock up. Then watched Foretz and Likhotseva play. Elena play well crap.

Then I made my way to centre court to watch the two best matches of the day. Elena Dementieva played really well, and should have won the first set easier if she had just kept her concentration at 1-1 and not got broken.

I then watched Alicia, and Martina, play doubles, which was a great match, with lots of great points.

I then made my way to see Elena D and Manu (try to) play doubles. But they lost ;-(

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dava where were you sitting on Center and also where were you standing/sitting when you were watching Alicia/Martina practice? As I knew some people from WTA World were there, I found myself looking around thinking to myself "I wonder if that's someone off the board?" LOL I don't know if that happened to you - or if that's just one of my strange traits ;)

-Rachel

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I was on the second row on stand D and I was on the deuce court side.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
I was on the second row on stand D and I was on the deuce court side.
you weren't by any chance the cute guy with the lovely chest hair :eek:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Urm no, I was wrapped up in a grey Nike fleece, cos I forgot my cap, and suncream, and did'nt want to get sunburned (which I failed misrably in doing so!)

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
cute guy and chest hair in the same sentence?

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
and making us even more jalouse. But it's still great fun to read them. And to find out how ppl see things differently. (I for my part would even be to shy to as for an autograph.... ..... guess I'm to old for it anyways ;) )

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doris Loeffel said:
and making us even more jalouse. But it's still great fun to read them. And to find out how ppl see things differently. (I for my part would even be to shy to as for an autograph.... ..... guess I'm to old for it anyways ;) )
At first I needed someone to kind of encourage me to get the autographs. Like in 2000, my dad pushed me into getting Lucie Ahl's autograph which I did and then my dad started to have a conversation with her :eek: The following year, my friend pushed me in getting Likhovtseva's.......she signed an autograph then after I said thanks I walked off and then she said; "excuse me, can I borrow your pen?" as she wanted to sign other autographs but no one had a pen - I let her ;)

But now, I don't have as much of a problem to ask - I still feel a little nervous sometimes ;)

-Rachel :wavey:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Dont be too shy Guys and Gals!
My experience of approaching most of the WTA Players,is that as long as you are polite and the timing is good [Not after they have been beat badly!],they are happy to sign your Autograph or pose for a photo.
Having been there all week,I must say the most charming in that regard has been Laura Granville.
WTA Handicapper

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Rachel i was doing the same thing on Tuesday looking around thinking thats someone off the board then thinking no its not

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Monica_Rules said:
Rachel i was doing the same thing on Tuesday looking around thinking thats someone off the board then thinking no its not
I know, it's strange, but because you never seen them before you kind of have this preconception of what they might look like.

-Rachel :wavey

1 - 20 of 31 Posts