Tennis Forum banner

Which has been the Weakest WTA Year since 1994

• 1994: ASV and Martinez lead the pack after a great start by Steffi

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • 1995: Steffi claims 3 Slams, Pierce grabs AO, but Martinez and ASV dominate the other events

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 1996: Steffi takes 3 Slams again, Monica grabs AO, ASV declines, Hingis rises

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1997: The year of Hingis, but Graf injured and Seles sub-par

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • 1998: Davenport cleans up her act, Hingis struggles and Novotna surprises

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 1999: Graf comes back, Hingis hangs in there, Davenport stays tough, and Williams sisters finally ar

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 2000: Hingis struggles, Venus rises, Davenport still there, and Anna K impressive

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 2001: Capriati comeback, Venus dominates elsewhere, Hingis loses it

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 2002: Hingis is finished, Serena dominates, Question marks over Venus, Capriati struggles

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • 2003/04 Serena and Venus injury-plagued, Henin & Clijsters fill-in but get sick, Myskina takes advan

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Women's tennis has always gone through ups and downs. Some years there are intense rivalries and big personalities dominating the game. Other years, the top players are frequently injured, matchups are anti-climaxes and the Tour gets bad press, especially compared with the men.

With the 2004 injury plague going on, would you say it's the weakest year for the WTA in the last decade, or are there other years when Women's tennis was at an even greater low?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,886 Posts
:yawn:
Is your favourite injured or went out in the 2nd round of Wimbledon??

I sense that somebody wants to say that reaching a GS final is not a big deal these days, "int he weakest WTA year of the decade"...

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Wimby 2004 has been great.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I guess I'd be bitter too if I had nothing to root for.

But I wouldn't hate, it makes you look bad.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
LOL at your rise and fall of Hingis:

1996: Hingis rises
1997: The year of Hingis
1998: Hingis struggles
1999: Hingis hangs in there
2000: Hingis struggles
2001: Hingis loses it
2002: Hingis is finished

:rolls:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Not sure how 1997 could be a bad year relatively given that Hingis was playing the same people Graf had in the previous 7 years. Plenty of variety too relative to some previous years. It just means some people didn't like Hingis. Not sure how she was struggling so long either after 97 as no one else seems to have managed to win as many tournaments.

Same for 2002 if you like the sisters, it was the best year in tennis history. If you cottoned on to the fact that Venus cannot beat Serena in a GS final it was the most boring predictable year ever.

How was Martinez ever dominating in 1995 (or 1994 if you exclude the one GS? She had some great wins but I don't recall any other GS or YEC or historic non-clay wins?

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
2000 Anna K impressive and Venus rises :confused:

Venus wins her first and second slam in a row.. Anna reaches 0 quarterfinals at any grand event. So depreSSIVE :lol:

1999 Hangs in there and is clearly the best player of the year.. reaching 3 slam finals winning one....

1998 Once again Hingis reachs 2 slam finals winning one.. None of the other GS winners that year came close.. Hingis also won YEC that year.. Despite the hard court season Lindsay had, Hingis was the better player, in my opinion.

2000-2001-2002 i agree Hingis was struggling as hell.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
fammmmedspin said:
Not sure how 1997 could be a bad year relatively given that Hingis was playing the same people Graf had in the previous 7 years. Plenty of variety too relative to some previous years. It just means some people didn't like Hingis. Not sure how she was struggling so long either after 97 as no one else seems to have managed to win as many tournaments.

Same for 2002 if you like the sisters, it was the best year in tennis history. If you cottoned on to the fact that Venus cannot beat Serena in a GS final it was the most boring predictable year ever.

How was Martinez ever dominating in 1995 (or 1994 if you exclude the one GS? She had some great wins but I don't recall any other GS or YEC or historic non-clay wins?
1997 saw steffi injured, ASV lose form, Seles fail to gain form, Martinez lose form, whilst Sabatini retired at the end of 96 along with Date. Davenport, Pierce, Novotna, Majoli and Coetzer stepped it up, but the skae-up at the top was a bit too much for some. That's one theory anyway.

After Graf, Martinez was definitely dominant in 1995, winning 6 titles (putting together a 28-match streak) as well as finishing SF at all Majors. I think she also won more matches than any other player all year. So, outside the Slams, Martinez was definitely a dominant player along with ASV, even if the year still belonged to Steffi.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Okay RG was bad, but AO we seen the top two players battle it out in the final, Wimbledon we have seen 2 great SF's, 2 former champions of the tourney battle it out with players that alot of people did not give much chance to. It says alot about womens tennis now that when the 2 top ranked players are not in the GS, that you can still see quality tennis like we have seen today.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spencercarlos said:
2000 Anna K impressive and Venus rises :confused:

Venus wins her first and second slam in a row.. Anna reaches 0 quarterfinals at any grand event. So depreSSIVE :lol:

1999 Hangs in there and is clearly the best player of the year.. reaching 3 slam finals winning one....

1998 Once again Hingis reachs 2 slam finals winning one.. None of the other GS winners that year came close.. Hingis also won YEC that year.. Despite the hard court season Lindsay had, Hingis was the better player, in my opinion.

2000-2001-2002 i agree Hingis was struggling as hell.
I was trying to look at it from the point of the media/marketing side, rather than a strict analysis of who was winning what :)

2000 was a year in which Anna was 'reliable' and IMO it contributed to a sense of strength in the WTA's top bunch. You has bitchy Hingis, Sensible Lindsay, Cool Venus, Fiery Serena, Battling Monica, Sex-Kitten Anna, Fragile Mary etc. etc.

The story of 98-00 was 'Hingis hanging in there' amidst the serious challenges from Davenport, Venus, and Serena. I wasn't saying that she was not the best overall player those years.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
baleineau said:
1997 saw steffi injured, ASV lose form, Seles fail to gain form, Martinez lose form, whilst Sabatini retired at the end of 96 along with Date. Davenport, Pierce, Novotna, Majoli and Coetzer stepped it up, but the skae-up at the top was a bit too much for some. That's one theory anyway.

After Graf, Martinez was definitely dominant in 1995, winning 6 titles (putting together a 28-match streak) as well as finishing SF at all Majors. I think she also won more matches than any other player all year. So, outside the Slams, Martinez was definitely a dominant player along with ASV, even if the year still belonged to Steffi.
I would not call Martinez dominant as once she played Steffi or Arantxa they would beat her at least 80% of the time, not even if you divide their head to head records in periods.
Kim Clijsters could have been called dominant in 2003 as she won many Tier I or II events.. yet Serena, Venus and Henin beat her most of the times they played that year.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
baleineau said:
I was trying to look at it from the point of the media/marketing side, rather than a strict analysis of who was winning what :)

2000 was a year in which Anna was 'reliable' and IMO it contributed to a sense of strength in the WTA's top bunch. You has bitchy Hingis, Sensible Lindsay, Cool Venus, Fiery Serena, Battling Monica, Sex-Kitten Anna, Fragile Mary etc. etc.

The story of 98-00 was 'Hingis hanging in there' amidst the serious challenges from Davenport, Venus, and Serena. I wasn't saying that she was not the best overall player those years.
bah no its ok :p its an analisis overall you made and its ok. the only part i disagree its Anna K being impressive in 2000 :p and not Venus :angel:

·
Banned
796 Posts
2002 sucked because it was all about the sisters...

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
how can 6 out of 12 or 2 out of I don't know how many be more dominant then 6 out of 8? :confused:
But the 6 out of 8 player didn't win 6 tournaments anyway but 9 and those 3 extra tournaments in history always have been the axioma for domination from what I heard!
but in the strange year of 95 that all changed;)

But I might be not so good in math so maybe there is a logical explanation for this remarkable conclusion.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I think 97-98 was the worst years, in terms of lack of contenders for GS titles and personalities in tennis. But i wasnt following tennis as much in 94-95.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
baleineau said:
1994: ASV and Martinez lead the pack after a great start by Steffi
1995: Steffi claims 3 Slams, Pierce grabs AO, but Martinez and ASV dominate the other events
1996: Steffi takes 3 Slams again, Monica grabs AO, ASV declines, Hingis rises
1997: The year of Hingis, but Graf injured and Seles sub-par
1998: Davenport cleans up her act, Hingis struggles and Novotna surprises
1999: Graf comes back, Hingis hangs in there, Davenport stays tough, and Williams sisters finally arrive
2000: Hingis struggles, Venus rises, Davenport still there, and Anna K impressive
2001: Capriati comeback, Venus dominates elsewhere, Hingis loses it
2002: Hingis is finished, Serena dominates, Question marks over Venus, Capriati struggles
2003/04 Serena and Venus injury-plagued, Henin & Clijsters fill-in but get sick, Myskina takes advantage
To many mistakes out there for me !
Next time do your homework

1 - 20 of 20 Posts