Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does everyone think will get them this year?

ill start
MD
1. Ashley Harkelroad
2. Angela Haynes
3. Carly Gullicson
4. Jess Kirkland
5. Bethanie Mattek
6. NCAA
7. Alexa Glatch
8. Mary Gambale
Qualies
1. Vania King
2. Krysty Marcio
3. Megan Bradley
4. Cory Avants
5. Neha Uberoi
6. Jenni Heinser
7. Julie Ditty
8. Ansley Cargill
9. Sarah Fansler

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
Zemonova (sp?) Won the NCAA championships. I'm sure everyone was expecting Amber to win it again, so I doubt she will actually recieve the wildcard. It is a shame :(

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
njguido11 said:
Who does everyone think will get them this year?

ill start
MD
1. Ashley Harkelroad
2. Angela Haynes
3. Carly Gullicson
4. Jess Kirkland
5. Bethanie Mattek
6. NCAA
7. Alexa Glatch
8. Mary Gambale
Qualies
1. Vania King
2. Krysty Marcio
3. Megan Bradley
4. Cory Avants
5. Neha Uberoi
6. Jenni Heinser
7. Julie Ditty
8. Ansley Cargill
9. Sarah Fansler
MD: I agree with Harkleroad, Haynes, Gullickson, Kirkland & Mattek. I'd swap Glatch with Chanda Rubin though.
Q: Agree with Avants, Uberoi, Ditty & Cargill. Glatch as a qual WC, I don't think Bradley will get one. Other possibilities are: Alexandra Stevenson, Tara Snyder, Tiffany Eklov & Teryn Ashley.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Does the winner of the USTA 18s still get an automatic wild card? That's going on right now, with Gambale and Glatch as the top two seeds. I'm assuming the winner gets into the main draw and the losing finalist gets into qualies.

Rubin, Harkleroad, Kirkland, and Haynes are probably all slam dunks. Gullickson's been playing really well and is still only 18, so I'm sure she'll get in too. My hunches for the last two spots would be Stevenson and Shenay Perry...but only if they're healthy enough to show up. Shenay's knee has apparently been giving her trouble all year.

After getting main draw wild cards into three of the past four Opens, Mattek might be a borderline case. Could depend on whether the USTA decided before or after she reached the semis in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
it looks to me like Haynes will get in without a WC. If Perry and Rubin are injured, they will especially be looking for a black player to give that extra WC to, and it might be Stevenson, but it really ought to go to Ahsha Rolle.

Surprised nobody mentioned Sunitha Rao, she has a good chance to get one. Mattek should have to play qualies, the USTA already gave her three wildcards. One good tournie at Cincinnati doesnt justify a fourth.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
haynes is still a few off the next in list..

I'd guess: haynes, gullickson, kirkland, mattek (or chanda if she plays), perry, ncaa, winner of glatch/gambale today, and def. Harkleroad.

Q: Stevenson, Loser of glatch/gambale, Uberoi, Vania King, Fansler, Avants plus....

If Stevenson gets a md wc, I think we should stage a die-in at her match

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Zemenova will get the wildcard because that's the rule. I really doubt they would change it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
selesfan1 said:
Zemenova will get the wildcard because that's the rule. I really doubt they would change it.
The rule actually changed a few years ago. Matias Boeker didn't get a wild card when he won the NCAA men's title in 2001. Here's an article with some USTA quotes about the policy change...

http://www.collegeandjuniortennis.com/MatiasBoeker01.htm

By the way, Boeker became an American citizen in time for the 2002 US Open and did get a wild card when he won his second NCAA title. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
171,102 Posts
mishar said:
haynes is still a few off the next in list..

I'd guess: haynes, gullickson, kirkland, mattek (or chanda if she plays), perry, ncaa, winner of glatch/gambale today, and def. Harkleroad.

Q: Stevenson, Loser of glatch/gambale, Uberoi, Vania King, Fansler, Avants plus....

If Stevenson gets a md wc, I think we should stage a die-in at her match
:haha: :help:

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
vogus said:
it looks to me like Haynes will get in without a WC. If Perry and Rubin are injured, they will especially be looking for a black player to give that extra WC to, and it might be Stevenson, but it really ought to go to Ahsha Rolle.

Surprised nobody mentioned Sunitha Rao, she has a good chance to get one. Mattek should have to play qualies, the USTA already gave her three wildcards. One good tournie at Cincinnati doesnt justify a fourth.
Perry is not injured... She is playing in the Rogers Cup qualies...

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
maxomax said:
Perry is not injured... She is playing in the Rogers Cup qualies...
It's weird though because Shenay was supposed to get knee surgery. I guess she put it off until the end of the year...

:shrug:

But I don't doubt that they'll give her a WC if she's a healthy. Her ranking has only tanked because she's been injured and she missed the whole first half of the year...:sad:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts