Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Wayne Bryan’s Letter To The USTA

That is the funniest read about college tennis I have ever seen.

In his own words he admits that, particularly at the UCSB's and other mid majors, the US kids that didn't get to go to USC are not playing because someone else on the team is better. So therefore those kids should not be allowed to play.

I knew the Bryan's were in outer space but that one is priceless.

Next up, my restaurant is dying because the one across the street is better. So please make them close.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

By getting rid of the foreign kids the marginal (not good enough to play mid major tennis) are suddenly gonna get better and be pro's.

Good lord.... talk about the entitlement issue being a problem... this dude just took it to a new level.

The USTA is right... and Wayne Bryan perpetuates there frustration.... the US kids need to EARN IT just... what.. they are gonna get free wins on the tour too? Sometimes embarrassed to be a US citizen in this decade... ugly ugly American.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Follow up thought: I'd love to see him propose that for football or basketball. He'd be laughed out of the room. They want the best kids... not the kids except for those better than my kid.

Absolute example of why this country is the financial dumper also.... don't want to be compete... just want the easy route.

Playing college tennis with mediocre players is not suddenly gonna expand tennis in the US. And the USTA knows it... but old my Bryan must be running out of clients.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Who's view to believe, Form who's never been a tennis player himself :spit: or Wayne Bryan a former college tennis player who's been around tennis for a lifetime and father of the most successful American doubles team in the Bryan brothers?

I think I'll go with Wayne Bryan. :eek:h:

·
Registered
806 Posts

You don't know if I was a tennis player. :haha::rocker2: Pretty sure you've never been an athlete of anything and that one I got covered.. in spades. :lol::bounce::lol:

Bryan is self serving has been... and politically makes me embarrassed as an American based on that letter. :sad:

14-1-1* :cheer: (#14 coming with injured player removed from the ladder rather than sacrificed/cheating in it! and after a certain coach was seen fist pumping when official told him of the line up change pre-match. oops :nerner: ).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Jeez Gouci you're such an antagonizer. I only meant that you and Wayne were like-minded and I even said that I agreed with 90% of his letter. Obviously you did like it, as you have re-posted it on other threads as some "new scoop", as you are apt to do.

Why turn everything into a petty argument? BTW thanks for fixing my link.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Like Bryan or not, he does know his stuff and most of the letter is right on IMHO.

Obviously I think the part about limiting internationals in college tennis is myopic and foolish. The form restaurant analogy is correct.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Like Bryan or not, he does know his stuff and most of the letter is right on IMHO.

Obviously I think the part about limiting internationals in college tennis is myopic and foolish. The form restaurant analogy is correct.
10sE - Agree with you about the overall content and also in disagreeing with the college comments. Was the best summary I've seen about state of events regarding tennis development. And prior to reading that.....I was not a Wayne Bryan fan........am now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Follow up thought: I'd love to see him propose that for football or basketball. He'd be laughed out of the room. They want the best kids... not the kids except for those better than my kid.
ahh, as far as I know, both of Wayne Bryan's kids are good tennis players, and they both got better college tennis scholarships than any of your kids did.

He also wrote, maybe the best book on how to be a tennis parent, so he has credibility in how to approach tennis for juniors.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts

Colette Lewis replies at Zootennis.

from her earlier article for Racquet Sports Industry magazine;

"levels the playing field"

for example BU would never have beaten Stanford without their international players :lol:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Outstanding.

Could we arrange to send the 'gist' of this letter to every American.... and send it three times to the former Govenor of Alaska.

Spot on.

I think you guys are mixing two controversial issues.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts

just some thoughts;

Doesn't 4 star players usually play at D1? Do they want less than 4 star players to start at D1 level? Say, do they want 3 star players to start at CAL, CU, BU, UM(Miami)? But those teams are at least aiming for the conference championship. They have to compete against star-studded teams like STAN, UF, DUKE, & UCLA. Those are the teams in which the Tans, Tsays, Cercones, Janowiczs play at #5 or 6. Realistically, there'll be TONS of blowout matches :sobbing:

It's not like lesser talented college players will improve significantly during their college career, the Amanda McDowells and Steve Johnsons are exceedingly rare. What with limited team practice time, school, and boyfriends, and career preparation, don't see that will happen very much. Unless one is aiming at a pro tennis career, that is. So in reality, recruit = results. And most elite players tend to be concentrated at select schools. And, doesn't good coaches GO to elite tennis schools? :rolls:

From a 'consumer's point of view, the change would lead to disaster. (I know WNCAA tennis fans are a 'select' group :sobbing: Even UCLA matches are nearly empty most of the times) Isn't WNCAA Div I tennis one of the most lopsided league there is? How many times Stanford won NCAAs? If not for foreign players, would we've experienced that 'delightful' upsets of Stanford in recent years by BU? :eek:h:

·
Registered
806 Posts

just some thoughts;

Doesn't 4 star players usually play at D1? Do they want less than 4 star players to start at D1 level? Say, do they want 3 star players to start at CAL, CU, BU, UM(Miami)? But those teams are at least aiming for the conference championship. They have to compete against star-studded teams like STAN, UF, DUKE, & UCLA. Those are the teams in which the Tans, Tsays, Cercones, Janowiczs play at #5 or 6. Realistically, there'll be TONS of blowout matches :sobbing:

It's not like lesser talented college players will improve significantly during their college career, the Amanda McDowells and Steve Johnsons are exceedingly rare. What with limited team practice time, school, and boyfriends, and career preparation, don't see that will happen very much. Unless one is aiming at a pro tennis career, that is. So in reality, recruit = results. And most elite players tend to be concentrated at select schools. And, doesn't good coaches GO to elite tennis schools? :rolls:

From a 'consumer's point of view, the change would lead to disaster. (I know WNCAA tennis fans are a 'select' group :sobbing: Even UCLA matches are nearly empty most of the times) Isn't WNCAA Div I tennis one of the most lopsided league there is? How many times Stanford won NCAAs? If not for foreign players, would we've experienced that 'delightful' upsets of Stanford in recent years by BU? :eek:h:

Agree with you except on elite coaches: Those jobs RARELY open up with less than a dozen 'elite' jobs having opened up in the last 15 years... so you can't assume the cream rises. Just not enough changes. (I can think of a couple elite programs that are winning despite their coach because they are a giant magnet for talent.. no matter how weird or passive their coaches are).. AND tennis jobs don't pay enough to have get veteran coaches above age 35 to move around much. Most of the changes you see (Bernstein at Mich an exception) seem to involve younger, single or recently married couples.

But the rest of your comments are spot on. Eliminate or restrict the intl's.. then 5 stars will go to Cal, 4 stars will fill those spots at the #15-25 "elite" schools and 3 stars will be left to fill the the Top 25-100 schools (like Pepp, UCI, Arizona) because the talent pool is going to shrink and shift. D1 tennis will be a joke as opposed to the excellent level it is now amongst the top 150 schools who are working at it.

On Mr. Bryan... when his son's lose to an int'l pair at the US Open, is he going to complain it's not fair they had to play against international players in the UNITED STATES OPEN? :lol:

Good grief.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts

Agree with you except on elite coaches: Those jobs RARELY open up with less than a dozen 'elite' jobs having opened up in the last 15 years... so you can't assume the cream rises. Just not enough changes. (I can think of a couple elite programs that are winning despite their coach because they are a giant magnet for talent.. no matter how weird or passive their coaches are).. AND tennis jobs don't pay enough to have get veteran coaches above age 35 to move around much. Most of the changes you see (Bernstein at Mich an exception) seem to involve younger, single or recently married couples.

But the rest of your comments are spot on. Eliminate or restrict the intl's.. then 5 stars will go to Cal, 4 stars will fill those spots at the #15-25 "elite" schools and 3 stars will be left to fill the the Top 25-100 schools (like Pepp, UCI, Arizona) because the talent pool is going to shrink and shift. D1 tennis will be a joke as opposed to the excellent level it is now amongst the top 150 schools who are working at it.

On Mr. Bryan... when his son's lose to an int'l pair at the US Open, is he going to complain it's not fair they had to play against international players in the UNITED STATES OPEN? :lol:

Good grief.
yeah, I actually wasn't too sure about that part :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts