Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are some people that most everyone thought they were going to be solid top 10/top 5 players but have failed to live up to the hype?

I'm not talking about people who never got close, but those who were almost there, or right there and have since fallen off the map.

And Why?

Kournikova is a huge example.

If only she was ugly....she'd be #3 right now ;)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
lucic, dementieva (although elena didn't really fall off the map), stevenson (but i'm not sure whether she was expected to be a solid top 5/10 player.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what ever happened to lucic?
does she even play anymore?

and i think that Wimbledon run was more of a Clarisa Fernandez type thing

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
Lucic ,Alexandra and IRODA!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
iroda hasn't really had a great run at a grand slam though but i get what you mean as she does have the talent.

lina k and petrova before their injuries looked like they could be top 10 and lina k did make the quarters at RG one year as did MARTA MARRERO.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Injuries, weight-gain, depression and an evil father happened to Lucic.

I wouldn't at all compare Lucic's run at Wimbledon to Clarisa's French. At the time of her run, Lucic had already won two titles, plus she knocked off Monica, Tauziat and then took Steffi to 3 sets. I don't remember Clarisa's run being anything near that spectacular.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
mmcdonald, lucic has got some maindraw wildcards this year into some wta events i think she took a set off dechy in one of them and dechy was playing well at the time.

i can't remember every match in that wimbledon run but in the matches i remember she actually played high quality tennis. she did win her debut wta tournament i think as a 15 year old so she was close but lost.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
marta marrero after her RG run was thought to be a top player one day.

hantuchova looks like she is heading that way although she's actually played well in all the grand slams rather than just having one good run.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G-Ha said:
Injuries, weight-gain, depression and an evil father happened to Lucic.

I wouldn't at all compare Lucic's run at Wimbledon to Clarisa's French. At the time of her run, Lucic had already won two titles, plus she knocked off Monica, Tauziat and then took Steffi to 3 sets. I don't remember Clarisa's run being anything near that spectacular.
I was comparing Alex's Wimbledon run to Clarisa's French Run

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Lucic would be high on the list... nobody on tour can match her power.

Anna K. of course... and if she was attractive or not wouldn't affect her ranking.

Patty Schnyder... at times she plays brilliant, and others she's nowhere.

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
Iroda has the talent.. too bad she didn't have a great run in a GS.. her best was 3rd in AUSopen 2002 and 3rd in Roland Garros..

When everybody knows shes capable of more..I think Iroda is more talented than Anna..

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Patty :sad:
Dementieva is on the comeback.
Hope the same for Mirjana :wish:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts