Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the first time I've seen Baptiste play and I was impressed. She has a great serve, big power off the ground and is a good athlete.
Kiki played decently but the serve was awful today.
With more experience I think Hailey would've won this but mlad was more solid in the big moments.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Congrats, Kiki. Very impressive Haiily to go 3 sets. You have the required talent. Just work on ur fitness, movement, and listen to the advice of ur coach. I’m rooting for u!! .

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Bajin always prepares his charges very well. That's why I figured from the beginning that this match was Mladenovic's to lose.

I agree that in another year or two Hailey wins this match no matter what Sascha does (if he's still coaching Mladenovic in two years).

I'm hoping Hailey plays more ITF/International tournaments as she matures.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Baptiste has a top 100 game, but her fitness is not at the pro level now. Baptiste appeared to run out of energy in the 3rd set in the hot and humid conditions in DC.
Baptiste defeated the #17 player,Keys, and took the #49 player, Mladenovic, to 3 sets before running out of gas. A great run for a 17 y/o.
Kiki won on her higher level of technical skills and her better conditioning.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Baptiste vs Keys .... looked like a star was born...
Against Mladenovic, Baptiste looks like a player ranked #496 and going down. She looked heavy and slow, with no defense, no ground strokes and no purpose. The only thing consistent between those 2 matches was her serve. It looks like someone who goes to the practice court every day to just serve and go home.
She couldn't return serve. Even the 2nd serves were too much for her. She couldn't get behind the balls to hit proper shots. And even when she did, she hit the frame, or hit to the crowd. Some of the routine shots she was missing were pathetic. She has ZERO defense, can't rally... is not ready to play the second ball from her own huge serve.

The match against Keys didn't show her lack of skills maybe because Keys didn't force her to play.
I was expecting her tonight to show us she is worth a top-100 ranking. But no, her ranking reflects where she is.

In WTA, to become a top player, at minimum a player needs great defense. There are players who made it to the top-50 on their defensive game alone. Some of them even made the top-10.
I don't know if she has a coach but she should change her practice drill. The serve is good enough. It's time to teach her how to play defense... how to hit a decent ground stroke ... how to return serve... She may have the will to play, but she lacks the skills needed to be a top player.
She would have lost badly today against a regular pusher who gives no free point.

But she is only 17; so I think she's got time to get proper coaching. She was very bad tonight. Mladenovic was mediocre. Double Faulting like a junior and hitting errors after errors. A decent player would have won this match in 2 easy sets.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Against Mladenovic, Baptiste looks like a player ranked #496 and going down. She looked heavy and slow, with no defense, no ground strokes and no purpose. The only thing consistent between those 2 matches was her serve. It looks like someone who goes to the practice court every day to just serve and go home.
She couldn't return serve. Even the 2nd serve were too much for her. She couldn't get behind the balls to hit proper shots. And even when she did, she hit the frame, or hit the balls to the crowd. Some of the routine shots she was missing were pathetic. She has ZERO defense, can't rally, is not ready to play the second ball from her own huge serve.

The match against Keys didn't show her lack of skills maybe because Keys didn't force her to play.
I thought tonight she was going to show us she is worth a top-100 ranking. But no, her ranking reflects where she is.

In WTA, to become a top player, at minimum a player needs great defense. There are players who made it to the top-50 on their defensive game alone. Some of them even made the top-10.
I don't know if she has a coach but she should change her practice drill. The serve is good enough. It's time to teach her how to play defense... how to hit a decent ground stroke ... how to return serve... She may have the will to play, but she lacks the skills needed to be a top player.
She would have lost badly today against a regular pusher who gives no free point.

But she is only 17; so I think she's got time to get proper coaching. She was very bad tonight. Mladenovic was mediocre. Double Faulting like a junior and hitting errors after errors. A decent player would have won this match in 2 easy sets.
Aren’t you a fucking ball of joy

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Happy Kiki got the win that’s all that matters at the end of the day. Nothing is perfect many things gone tough but at least she is competing. Hopefully a better Kiki for next match

·
Registered
115,555 Posts
Baptiste will win as many majors as Gauff! Just watch!

·
Premium Member
64,880 Posts
Congrats Kiki :hearts:

Reactions: Ceze

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I was impressed. And I really thought Baptiste would take this.

For whatever god forsaken reason- she kept approaching to KiKi’s forehand or really only aiming there and that was baffling to me.

You never pepper your opponents best shot, that’s only going to make it more solid throughout the match.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Too bad Hailey couldn't pull this out. But such a good experience, and I hope people were able to see her potential. If she really had a good coach to work with her, and was able to play more tourneys, she really could be a diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
She's got way more to go. Needs some decent defense.
I watched her unable to return 6 serves in a row, including 2nd serve and some basic first serves. I don't know what the stats is on unreturned serve.. but it has to be very bad.

·
Registered
115,555 Posts
Sascha has a lot of work to do. Maybe Thiem wants him around to help him also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts