Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vika clearly does not want to add to her retirement record!
But that second set might be one of the most fascinating things i've watched recently.
Vika could not move whatsoever but still fought to the end, even winning 7 straight points at one point in Set 2...

Purple Font Rectangle Screenshot Magenta

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
13,911 Posts
She’s surely out of Toronto now? This was so odd to watch, cause even when being unable to walk she had to literally choke herself for Wang to take the match. Hope she didn’t make the injury worse by insisting on finishing the match for whatever reason.

As I said, not a fan of LLs going deep in tournaments since they already lost, but Wang shouldn’t have really lost to Chirico in qualies anyway. She did have a pretty dream draw to the semis though.

·
Registered
Team Vika
47,955 Posts
I was completely stoked after Paula's match and then of course Vika had to bring me back down to earth :tears: I've been saying it all year, but it just seems like her body isn't holding up anymore. And when it does, she manages to choke, like at Roland Garros. I'm very proud of her for not retiring though for once, and she almost managed to get herself back into the match.... Amazing what can happen when you don't quit !

Toronto must be doubtful now because she was visibly injured, although I'm not sure she'd be beating BB regardless.

It's very disappointing that Vika loses what looked like a great opportunity to finally win another title, but it seems like the combo of bad luck and injuries and some choking always strike for her these days :confused:

Reactions: Lemonadestand

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
22,030 Posts
I imagine she'll make at least a million this year after expenses... i'd keep playing too for that level of income.
For her to make a million after expenses she would need to make 1.5 mil in prize money

She's at 675k now...with only about 3-4 tournaments left for the season. Probably not happening.

But I'm sure she has $$ saved up it just seems pointless to play if her body keeps breaking down.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I imagine she'll make at least a million this year after expenses... i'd keep playing too for that level of income.
Aside from the money, aging players past their best days sometimes stick around for the love of the game they play. Could also be she’s not ready to be a full-time mother yet to her young son. These things may or may not be true in Vika’s case, but counting her junior days, she’s been playing for nearly 20 years now. Not easy for a lot of players to walk away from a sport they’ve played forever, especially one who has had the success Vika’s had.

·
Registered
Team Vika
47,955 Posts
Poor Vika! She tweaked herself and the whole crowd was behind her, at least she won a few good points throughout the hobbling View attachment 225052
She got a really nice round of applause after match point too, which I have to think feels good and helps make it feel worthwhile at this point in her career. Nice of the crowd.

I hope you're enjoying the experience !!!

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
But that second set might be one of the most fascinating things i've watched recently.
Vika could not move whatsoever but still fought to the end, even winning 7 straight points at one point in Set 2...
Svitolina getting Vietnam flashbacks seeing this

·
Registered
Team Vika
47,955 Posts
Aside from the money, aging players past their best days sometimes stick around for the love of the game they play. Could also be she’s not ready to be a full-time mother yet to her young son. These things may or may not be true in Vika’s case, but counting her junior days, she’s been playing for nearly 20 years now. Not easy for a lot of players to walk away from a sport they’ve played forever, especially one who has had the success Vika’s had.
It's a bit frustrating because I think she herself is a bit caught in between conflicting goals too; she's said since her son was born that she has taught herself to see tennis more as a job than something that totally dominates her life. But she also clearly still has high ambitions and wants to win big titles. I think what you're saying is true though, and as vogus said she's still making good money so why not.

·
22,030 Posts
It's a bit frustrating because I think she herself is a bit caught in between conflicting goals too; she's said since her son was born that she has taught herself to see tennis more as a job than something that totally dominates her life. But she also clearly still has high ambitions and wants to win big titles. I think what you're saying is true though, and as vogus said she's still making good money so why not.
Azarenka's peak on hard court was scary...2012-2013 was a very high level that I was impressed by...

Just hate to see players not play to their full potential. She really should be dominating this weak era.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
She should have pulled a vintage Vika and simply withdrew before the match. She’s not young anymore.

And of all the proper times to retire she doesn’t.
le sigh.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
NID, Azarenka usually loses at these stages of tournaments.

Wonder what keeps her playing?
The same thing that probably keeps Murray, Venus, Federer, Kerber and Serena playing…..plus Vika is still Top 20, unlike the others.
For her to make a million after expenses she would need to make 1.5 mil in prize money

She's at 675k now...with only about 3-4 tournaments left for the season. Probably not happening.

But I'm sure she has $$ saved up it just seems pointless to play if her body keeps breaking down.
She’s still getting some bonus money and fees….so she’s certainly clearing a mill a season.

·
22,030 Posts
The same thing that probably keeps Murray, Venus, Federer, Kerber and Serena playing…..plus Vika is still Top 20, unlike the others.

She’s still getting some bonus money and fees….so she’s certainly clearing a mill a season.
Federer hasn't played in a year and is on a farewell tour...and is already cemented as an ATG
Serena & Venus are on a farewell tour already cemented as ATG
Murray ATG, playing cuz he genuinely enjoys tennis and didn't think he'd be back after serious injury

Vika just looks like she can't be bothered after a few matches each tournament and hasn't made any noticeable improvements to her game since 2016 with hella injures. So thats why im asking why does she keep playing if she can't even win 250 events on hard courts

·
Registered
6,091 Posts

she's a 3-time USO finalist though, so she likely gets something for racket & clothing use, plus she can ask for some appearance $$$ at smaller events like this week... that extra stuff should get her to a million even in a year of humdrum results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poor Vika! She tweaked herself and the whole crowd was behind her, at least she won a few good points throughout the hobbling View attachment 225052
So jealous! I've tried to see Vika play singles three times in person and all three times bad luck happened and I didn't get to see her...but finally got to see her play doubles at the US Open (with Barty). Hope you are having fun!

Reactions: Hanan Ubis
1 - 20 of 28 Posts