Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
If Raducanu is going to have any success on the WTA tour, she’s going to have to start hitting the ball properly. These nothing loopy balls that she’s been hitting for nigh-on a year now are just getting eaten up. I’m not really sure what’s she’s trying to do out there. I’m guessing it’s a mental thing more than anything.

Samsonova did what Samsonova does, hit the ball extremely hard. Today, she was also aided by her opponent being so passive.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Emma played too passively the entire match, standing 6' back from the baseline even on Samsonova's second serve, hitting most of her shots mid court. She looked gassed even from the start. I think she is just exhausted from yesterday's match, plus having to wait til' 10:30pm to play this match, and those blisters probably aren't helping. She's got 3 fingers bandaged up on her racquet hand, and some other bandage on her ankle. Even if she had won the first set, I don't think she had any energy left to win the second set.

It's okay. It's better for her to get to Toronto early to get used to the courts and the weather. She has a big match R1, it's better she makes a deep run there than here. I think she's learned that she can't play passive with these big hitters. Sam's probably the biggest hitter she's played. She'll learn from this and adjust her strategy against Giorgi after some much needed rest.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Emma needs to stop pushing. That’s not the way. Samsonova was very beatable today.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Awful choking in the first set, second was a wash. Another winnable match slips through her fingers. This gamestyle she is employing is not what won her a slam.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I don't mind this strategy from Raducanu too much. She did have set points and squandered them because she didn't pivot to asserting herself in important points. This has been the problem thus far with this Raducanu 2.0 strategy, that she is unable to switch from safe tennis to a little more attacking to get the important points in the bag. But she actually made some very difficult return winners off fast Samsonova serves. One that she hit airborne and at shoulder height and still found the corner with was particularly great.

Obviously, the strategy and more importantly the execution of it needs a lot of fine tuning. And her tendency to get robotically into a pushing mode and leaving all her variety tucked tightly inside the bag hurts her too. But that this went into an hour long first set and not a blowout like the Rybakina match is because this more tenacious approach did work. She has to dig deeper, get fitter, build more stamina. All things that take time. And even after that, she may not win quite a few of these sort of matches. Which is just...welcome to the pro tour or as Sloane Stephens put it, "We'll be there when she comes down".

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Emma was never really mentally in this match, I was in the stands and she was very moody and looking at her player box a lot. I was rooting for her, but Luidmilla was hitting rockets off both sides. What a great experience!

Racketlon Sports equipment Tennis player Tennis Equipment Soft tennis

·
Registered
15,948 Posts
At least the Russian-British combo made it past R2 into a QF. It's working guys. It's only a matter of time.

Reactions: comotMN

·
Registered
631 Posts
Emma was never really mentally in this match, I was in the stands and she was very moody and looking at her player box a lot. I was rooting for her, but Luidmilla was hitting rockets off both sides. What a great experience!

View attachment 225068
Nice picture! You guys were some awesome die hard fans cheering for Emma even when she was down and out. I'm sure she appreciated it.:thumbsup: I think Emma is just exhausted from yesterday's match. She looked like she could barely move in that second set. Good on her to at least get to a 76 in the first set.

·
Art & Futures
26,734 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Where's @Tim. who was adamant Samsonova was overhyped and Emma was going to win this match blindfolded and with her hands tied behind her back :uncheer:

Starting to feel bad for Raducanu, it's not for a lack of trying, her tennis is just not where it should be for fitness/mental or whatever reasons.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A QF place…happy for her. Fed up of looking at all the negatives in Emma’s game and just enjoying however her wins go. But yeah, 2/3R max at the US Open, a rank reset and then hopefully she can get back to playing and without any expectation.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Will Emma ever win three consecutive matches again?
Of course. Raducanu is going to have to develop into a counter puncher. The idea that she can play aggressive tennis like Us Open 2022 and win anything is for the birds. At the Us Open she went big on returns and down the line shots and everything landed on. It was not a replicable performance (although, at the time many posters tried to tell me she was playing with controlled aggression).

Her development will take years (she can learn to play like Halep/Kerber but use her height to leverage a much better first serve & develop a net game). Going to take years of hard work though. Halep’s one of her idols - so maybe she’ll actually do it.

21 - 40 of 235 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.