Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mashona will break into the top 100 for the first time when the new rankings come up out making it 5 black players ranked in the 100 (Venus, Serena, Chanda, Shenay, and now Mashona). Will this be a record for most Black players at the same time? I can't remember there ever being this many ranked so high. And if Alexandra can get it together it will be 6 (I can dream can't I)!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
Congratz ladies :D

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
who cares if they're black ... I thought we were supporting players because of their skills :rolleyes:

Reactions: sarza

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
WorldWar24 said:
who cares if they're black ... I thought we were supporting players because of their skills :rolleyes:
We do support players because of their skills.However, this is a hell of an accomplishment since the days of Ashe,Althea.and Zina.;)

·
35,588 Posts
Even if Alex get there, she is a mix between black and white, but you can't say she is grey :p

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Cool Canuck said:
I think there was a time, Venus, Serena, Chanda, Stevenson and Foretz were all top 100 at the same time.
Not to mention Randriantefy.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Maybe you all are having a problem and asking, "Why is it always about race on this board?" because they are Black.

I've seen similar posts about Asians and Latinas, and these kinds of questions are never asked.

In fact, there have been some cheering threads set up solely for those two races. Whenever, "Black" enters the picture, though, there then seems to be an issue of race.

·
15,168 Posts
Pureracket said:
Maybe you all are having a problem and asking, "Why is it always about race on this board?" because they are Black.

I've seen similar posts about Asians and Latinas, and these kinds of questions are never asked.

In fact, there have been some cheering threads set up solely for those two races. Whenever, "Black" enters the picture, though, there then seems to be an issue of race.
yup ;)

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
In the very early eighties Leslie Allen, Renee Blount, Diane Morrison, Andrea Whitmore and Kim Sands all featured in the Top 100, shortly preceeded by Aleida Spex from Cuba and followed by Zina Garrison and Camille Benjanmin in 1982. I haven't got time to check where they all ranked at any given time, but I'm pretty sure five black players in the Top 100 at the same time isn't a first....

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just now checking the responses to this thread and I can't believe the negative responses! Why is it such a bad thing to be happy for and/or proud of these players who are excelling at a sport very few blacks excell at or even get the chance to excell at?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As recently as early 1990, we also had 5 African-American ladies in the top 100 - Zina, Lori, Stacey Martin, Katrina Adams & Camille Benjamin.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Tennis is the ultimate international sport so it's nice to see blacks, not only doing well, but also taking more of an interest in the sport in general. I think all the diversity just adds to the appeal of the sport.

Truth be told, I actually didin't know that so many blacks played tennis throughout the years. Mainly because of the success of Serena I can totally picture african-american children picturing themselves as the "next" Serena- and that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I think it's awesome and I couldn't be happier for Mashona!

Now we just need to get 3 in the top ten again (Serena Venus and CHANDA) :bounce:

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
Why bring the color of someone's skin into this...

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
Pureracket said:

I would've been the same had it been Asians or Latinos....I just don't see why skin color is mentioned, period. Instead of saying, 5 black players, we should say, 5 rising AMERICAN players...it's only promoting skin differences...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts