Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our favourite Ice Road Trucker and seed snatcher is through to another WTA SF! I believe she made one here years ago. I'm a bit concerned about how bad she's becoming at tiebreaks (she led two or three times with the minibreak in today's) but she recuperated nicely from a set and 0-3 deficit. Staggeringly hard hitting at times given the heat and her age. She seemed pumped up! :hearts: 48 winners to 22 UEs by the WTA's dodgy stats.

I'm not a big fan of Kalinskaya but her game certainly passes the eye test. Strangely she seems better when hitting a reactionary shot than a standard rally ball. I can see her having a bit of a ranking rise over the next year.

I think the interview with Rennae was even harder for Kaia than the match. :lol2: I would love to see her snatch the title here, it's been too long. Marino / Saville next.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Someone remind Kaia that this isn't a slam.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is truly incredible from Kanepi :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: 37 years, battling hard and consecutive 3 set matches for a WTA SF in god knows how long. I have never seen her crushing these returns of serve the way shes been doing it this week. Had she been healthy throughout her career, she would probably have crushed 95% of WTA easily.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wonderful match that gave everything. Extreme heat and accurate hitting with minimal errors from both.

Kaia played her brand tennis. So much better level than in the first two matches. After she lost the first set I was sure she’s done because of the heat and no need to really push it as she has 3 major tournaments ahead but she really wants to win this trophy, perhaps prove something to herself and finally after 10 years to win a tournament again. Amazing from Kaia at 37.

First time I see Kalinskaya. Stunning beauty, great attitude and great play. Definitely a girl I will be supporting now. If she had played against Kanepi we had in round 1 and 2 she would have won 6:1 6:2.

Today the experience won. These wins and this play from Kaia at 37 makes you wonder what she could have achieved at her prime age. A beautiful day for all Kanepi fans. This match showed she’s not ready to go anywhere.

By the way, do we have any players achieving the career high ranking at that age?

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
So a 37 year old Kanepi can keep it up in the scorching heat and finish Kalinskaya in 3 longish sets, something Halep couldn't manage in the previous round and just quit. What does it tell us about Halep and Kanepi?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Yes Kaia. :cheer:

I stopped watching after the tiebreak.I thought that would be that for a woman of Kaia's advanced years in this heat.:oh:

Imagine my surprise when I tuned in a hour later and the match was still going.

I just hope this doesn't all mean a R1 exit in NY.:sobbing:

·
Registered
14,862 Posts
Kaia just does not seem to age - I see she is the oldest player in the top 200 right now, but her power is undimmed and she was able to run down a short ball ( I don't think it was an intended drop shot) at the net and make a winner. Her interview was funny - she really is the anti-Barty, loving travelling and never being in the same place too long, clearly has the right personality for the tour life. I am sure the fact that she always seems so calm and never seems to get frazzled has helped her stay younger.

Kalinskaya will be annoyed to lose a set and 3-0 lead but Kanepi just is a better player, when she turned on the power and it was clicking, she just moved ahead and had far more winners.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
A Russian hater? She was smiling to herself a lot when Kaia hit great winners. That means acceptance. But than again my favorite current Russian is Alexandrova that is not very popular here so... And all time favorite is Zvonareva. Followed by Maria of course.
no i love russians :hug: you probably dont know since this is the first time you see her play but shes known for being a bit of drama queen, just check youtube for some episodes lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
The
Kaia just does not seem to age - I see she is the oldest player in the top 200 right now, but her power is undimmed and she was able to run down a short ball ( I don't think it was an intended drop shot) at the net and make a winner. Her interview was funny - she really is the anti-Barty, loving travelling and never being in the same place too long, clearly has the right personality for the tour life. I am sure the fact that she always seems so calm and never seems to get frazzled has helped her stay younger.
The interview was wonderful
no i love russians :hug: you probably dont know since this is the first time you see her play but shes known for being a bit of drama queen, just check youtube for some episodes lol
I love drama queens. I don’t mind Ostapenko and Putintseva and I doubt she’s been able to produce more considering her screen time.

·
Registered
14,862 Posts
Lausanne, when she complained about the hotel having a loud fan which kept her awake and the noise from the people in the restaurant was a Kalinskaya classic! 'WTA sucks!!!'

1 - 20 of 51 Posts