Tennis Forum banner

Was Anna's first-round win really legitimate?

• Yes, Anna showed great resilience by coming back and proving that she can fight AND win.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Why not, a win is a win no matter what the score says.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No, Alves was bribed by the organizers to pull out with cramps

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No, someone spiked Alves' drink with a cramp-causing additive

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My theory is that Anna's opponent, after they split the first two sets, was approached by the tournament organizers and offered a reward far exceeding the winner's purse ($3,000) in exchange for pulling out with an injury. This would make everyone happy:
Maria Alves, because she received more money than she had ever won in a tournament;
Anna, because she finally won a match;
the organizers, because they will break the attandance record with Anna to star in more dramatic matches; and
the tennis fans, who continue to get an Anna-feast without having to surf the net to get a glimpse of the celebrity.

I could be wrong though, as I have been proven to be wrong before (especially, by Anna fans). Cast your votes!

Before you jump all over me, Anna fans, this is tongue-in-cheek (so, you know).

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
my vote: bullshit

I don't think Maria would sell herself short for 3k. I sure as hell wouldn't and I don't even play.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Was the match rigged? Nyet! But I wonder what Dawn Marie would say! ;)

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
If you say this about this match, then you could say exactly the same about any match that has ever been played.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
GBFH said:
if it's closed to the public...then who's there watching?
members of the resort n press

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next round match will be upgraded to Top Secret.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
o lord have mercy. come on now

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
http://www.thebrunswicknews.com/front/277637844873389.php

When it was announced last weekend that Anna Kournikova was scheduled to compete in the second annual Cloister Cup on Sea Island, a small women's tennis tournament that wouldn't normally draw much interest outside of tennis circles suddenly became a big tournament generating attention from around the world.

As a result, officials at Sea Island have decided that unless you're a member, a guest at the resort, or work for the media, you won't be able to attend the tournament.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jealous types, the organizers. What about sharing the joy of watching Anna?

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
In other words Miss Love, there won't be any real tennis fans there. And that's a shame! :(

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Lelu said:
Jealous types, the organizers. What about sharing the joy of watching Anna?
lol well its just not big enough... plus i suppose they want more people to stay at the resort.

and cat, it is a shame... but do you think there would be that many real tennis fans there watching anna anyway?

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Touche Miss Love! You are probably right about there not being many real tennis fans who go to watch Anna play. They would rather watch Anna. :hearts:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A summary of the thread: many viewers, considerably fewer voters, and even fewer posters. That means Anna still generates a lot of curiosity, however, not too many opinions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts