Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am sorry to have to post this, but I think Serena needed more time to prepare for professional level matches again. She IS one of the greatest of all time and I was expecting more from her. I did fear that she wasn't ready, when I heard that she was planning to play the Australian Open, that it was far too soon. So why has she made this decision? I have come to expect excellence and tenacious gladiatorial battles from Serena but she might have proved to herself that she cannot be a very new mother and be superwoman too. But if she was just having fun then so be it, she is entitled to that. Serena please take it easy and don't rush back, you need time for yourself and your little baby.

I'm waiting for the bricks to fly now..

·
Registered
11,930 Posts
I think most people will acknowledge that she doesn't look fit, but that is understandable at this early stage.

Barring injury, Serena's career will definitely end on a high, probably Wimbledon. When? Who knows.

We are currently in an era where the likes of Wozniacki & Sloane Stephens are winning slams so I think Serena knows if she can just get fit she can easily catch a few more majors..

The top 20 is so weak at the moment even Bartoli has decided it's worth another go.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
I think it is good for her to come back like she did. I think it was for her to actually come back and not win her first match -even if it was doubles.

One thing we know about her is that she hates losing. The simple fact that she was not able to pull out a win in her first professional match back should light a nice fire underneath the GOAT.

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Registered
17,920 Posts
Look, she had to have her first official match back at some point. She's got to put herself in match situations to see what's working and what isn't, and to learn how far she has to go.

She also has to learn to work out the logistics and emotions of traveling with her baby; she said this was her first outing with the little one.

I think a Fed Cup weekend was a perfect occasion to get started sorting all of that out. Huge learning experience for her. And now that it's behind her, she can move forward quickly. :armed:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Well, I am sorry to have to post this, but I think Serena needed more time to prepare for professional level matches again. She IS one of the greatest of all time and I was expecting more from her. I did fear that she wasn't ready, when I heard that she was planning to play the Australian Open, that it was far too soon. So why has she made this decision? I have come to expect excellence and tenacious gladiatorial battles from Serena but she might have proved to herself that she cannot be a very new mother and be superwoman too. But if she was just having fun then so be it, she is entitled to that. Serena please take it easy and don't rush back, you need time for yourself and your little baby.

I'm waiting for the bricks to fly now..
ego

·
Golden State Of Mind
5,649 Posts
Newsflash: Women are mothers, wives and they manage to work outside the home too.

This is a barometric check. I have faith in Serena and her judgment. Even while cautious after learning about the pregnancy complications, I remain excited about the future.

Serena expects more of herself than any of us. She wouldn't have accomplished so much if she didnt.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think she should test the waters and see where she is really. We will know more once she plays an actual match that counts. We all know how she plays exhibitions, even at her best she can lose to anyone, but i dont think she should bring her daughter on court, she might lose her killer instinct, which she is the best at.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Newsflash: Women are mothers, wives and they manage to work outside the home too.

This is a barometric check. I have faith in Serena and her judgment. Even while cautious after learning about the pregnancy complications, I remain excited about the future.

Serena expects more of herself than any of us. She wouldn't have accomplished so much if she didnt.

Exactly. Serena and her team know what they are doing. She didn’t just randomly decide to play today.

You have to start somewhere. She, better than anyone else, knows what it takes mentally, physically, and emotionally for her to win.

Maybe she wanted a benchmark and needed to compete to get that. Maybe she wanted to set herself up for 2020 Olympics and needed to play Fed Cup. Maybe she was tired of just practicing and needed the adrenaline rush of competition to get more motivated. Maybe she felt more comfortable having her first match back along side Venus for moral support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
It's good she's taking baby steps in her comeback. First an exo and now a doubles match. It's not like she just jumped into competitive singles right away. She's already serving better and moving better than the exhibition. She will continue to work herself into shape and return when she is ready.
It's incredible that she is where she is after all the complications she had after giving birth.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Why is it possibly unwise?

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
Is she match ready? Obviously not. And that's understandable considering the complicated (and still quite recent!) birth.

But playing a Fed Cup tie dead rubber with her sister to test the waters and put her bid in for the 2020 Olympics was probably the perfect way to return... ESPECIALLY because she lost. Not that it was the plan, but you could see today how frustrated she was to have her serve broken twice. This match will light a big fire underneath her and only spur her on further. The fact that it was in front of probably her most supportive crowd in AGES who were cheering on her every move will only make her more eager.

I hope she takes her time, and I look forward to her returning when she's ready.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
That crowd support was amazing.

Reactions: I_CLAUDIA_1961

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
She's probably coming back too soon. She is still unfit. Her movement and core haven't been there yet for sure. But like most posters say she needs to take step by step so where's the point of being unwise here?

So far it's not a full comeback yet. She tested herself in an exo in late December, then decided to wait 6 more weeks. She now tested again by the doubles match and the practice sessions with Coco and Venus, then go back to work for another three weeks. Which is nothing wrong. By the time she makes her singles comeback in Indian Wells, it will be 26 weeks after giving birth which is exactly the same as Azarenka's comeback. So it's very realistic IMO.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
50%-Serena is still better then 80% of the whole tour :lol:
She serves and then she has the Point. She is no pusher, so she dont have to move much.

Welcome Back.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts