Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people are calling the Davenport Williams match a classic. For me personal there where far to many UFE in thw whole match for it to even be considored a classic. It did have the drama and some great shots. But nothing really amazing. But what do some of you think.
 

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
LOL, how can't you call that a classic? It had everything, it was fiercly contested, both ladies wanted to win so badly, some great point, POWER hitting.

it had so much drama, either player could have won. 3-3 third set tie-break, Lindsay played some brilliant shots.

I think it was 3-3 when she hit this amazing return off a good serve then smacked her second shot down the line.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
No it was not a classic, I don't know why everytime someone hangs with a Williams as a Williams beats themselves is deemed a classic. If half of Venus' shots had went in it would of looked like a trouncing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your Davenport fan so you would think it was a classic. :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,843 Posts
Uh... it was tense and good entertainment, but as for the quality :tape:

Throughout, I kept thinking "my god, how did these two use to be the WTA elite when one of them refuses to run for anything which requires her to take more than two steps, and the other seems to be totally unaware of the court dimensions".
 

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
cool bird said:
Your Davenport fan so you would think it was a classic. :lol: :lol:
yup, true.

But I can honestly say that if venus would have won the last point, it still would have been a classic in my eyes :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sartrista7 said:
Uh... it was tense and good entertainment, but as for the quality :tape:

Throughout, I kept thinking "my god, how did these two use to be the WTA elite when one of them refuses to run for anything which requires her to take more than two steps, and the other seems to be totally unaware of the court dimensions".
:haha: I know just what you are saying cant wait for the rematch can you :tape: :tape:
 

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Uh... it was tense and good entertainment, but as for the quality :tape:

Throughout, I kept thinking "my god, how did these two use to be the WTA elite when one of them refuses to run for anything which requires her to take more than two steps, and the other seems to be totally unaware of the court dimensions".
I dont know, how did they "USE" to be in the wta elite? Lindsay is like leading the race this year, Venus won 2 titles, so I dont know where the "use" came from there :confused:

Unaware of court dinensions?:lol:
More than 2 steps? :haha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,843 Posts
selesport said:
I dont know, how did they "USE" to be in the wta elite? Lindsay is like leading the race this year, Venus won 2 titles, so I dont know where the "use" came from there :confused:
Three years since Venus won a Slam. Four years for Lindsay. Neither have been in a Slam final for over a year. In 1999-2001, Venus and Lindsay were the elite. They're not at that level any more.
 

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Three years since Venus won a Slam. Four years for Lindsay. Neither have been in a Slam final for over a year. In 1999-2001, Venus and Lindsay were the elite. They're not at that level any more.
Who is the "elite" at the moment then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,843 Posts
selesport said:
Who is the "elite" at the moment then?
Justine, Nastya and Serena (whose results post-injury have been excellent considering everything; a few more of her weaknesses have been exposed, but she certainly doesn't look as significantly off the pace as either Venus or Lindsay did yesterday).

Depending on how Masha follows up Wimbledon, maybe her too. Wouldn't consider elite yet though, not away from grass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,742 Posts
It had drama, excitement, tension and fight..even the crowd gave the players a standing ovation when it had to come to a 3rd set tiebreak!
 

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Justine, Nastya and Serena (whose results post-injury have been excellent considering everything; a few more of her weaknesses have been exposed, but she certainly doesn't look as significantly off the pace as either Venus or Lindsay did yesterday).

Depending on how Masha follows up Wimbledon, maybe her too. Wouldn't consider elite yet though, not away from grass.
:haha:

OMG.

You put Nastya in the elite, and leave Lindsay and Venus out? :retard:
Lindsay is having the most consistant year so far, she LEADS the race standings.

OK, you must be joking here. "off the pace". Did you see the match?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,704 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Justine, Nastya and Serena (whose results post-injury have been excellent considering everything; a few more of her weaknesses have been exposed, but she certainly doesn't look as significantly off the pace as either Venus or Lindsay did yesterday).

Depending on how Masha follows up Wimbledon, maybe her too. Wouldn't consider elite yet though, not away from grass.
Myskina is the elite? :shrug:

Yeh, I know she won a slam but really she has way more upset losses than Lindsay or even Momo does in her record at the moment. I mean losses to Shaughnessy, Molik, Likhovtseva, Frazier (and we won't include the drubbings by Jen Cap, Juju and Momo at different stages)?

Yep Myskina won Roland Garros, I know, but it doesn't make her any more of a threat now than she was before that tournament. As she says herself it's already in the past, I wouldn't be running to back her against a Williams Sister or Lindsay on any surface they will be playing on for the rest of the year (maybe Venus indoors being the exception), she has already proven that she can lose to far lesser players. She wouldn't be a clear cut favourite against most of the top ten at the moment (only Dementieva and Sugiyama being the exceptions). And if she isn't even the favourite against them then how on earth can she be bracketed above them?

I'm not really sure what the "elite" is at the moment.
Justine was before her injury for sure, but now? Serena, probably still yes. It's difficult to say I guess with all the lay offs.
I don't think there is a clear dominant elite like there has been; the results speak to that. It's a very strange time in women's tennis. Anyone in the top 20 can beat another top 20 player without neccessarily causing real shockwaves. It's the injuries.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,837 Posts
Ballbuster said:
I don't know why everytime someone hangs with a Williams as a Williams beats themselves is deemed a classic.
so there are 2 kinds of matches involving the williams sisters:

1. someone hangs with a williams.
2. a williams beats herself.


:tape: :haha:


anyway, it was certainly not a classic. yes, lots of drama, but that's about it...
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
8,263 Posts
Ballbuster said:
No it was not a classic, I don't know why everytime someone hangs with a Williams as a Williams beats themselves is deemed a classic. If half of Venus' shots had went in it would of looked like a trouncing.
Iam sorry but if Serena and Venus keep playing at 20% or beat herself in every single tournament as some of her fans claim, they are simply not very good players

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Julian said:
It had drama, excitement, tension and fight..even the crowd gave the players a standing ovation when it had to come to a 3rd set tiebreak!
Agreed wholeheartedly. I've seen higher quality tennis, true, but there were some amazing rallies in this match. It certainly beats most of the women's matches we've seen this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,843 Posts
Robbie. said:
Yeh, I know she won a slam but really she has way more upset losses than Lindsay or even Momo does in her record at the moment. I mean losses to Shaughnessy, Molik, Likhovtseva, Frazier (and we won't include the drubbings by Jen Cap, Juju and Momo at different stages)?
In the past year, she's drubbed Capriati and Mauresmo more convincingly than they've drubbed her (at the most important events, too)... and unlike Capriati and Davenport, she's actually managed to beat Henin-Hardenne as well.

Yeah, she has more bad losses on her record... but in her favour, she has more big tournament wins on her record than anyone else except the Belgians - four titles, none beneath Tier II. Davenport and Mauresmo have three, Capriati has one.

Yep Myskina won Roland Garros, I know, but it doesn't make her any more of a threat now than she was before that tournament.
She always had the game to be elite. I never thought she had the head for it... but RG really proved that wrong.

As she says herself it's already in the past, I wouldn't be running to back her against a Williams Sister or Lindsay on any surface they will be playing on for the rest of the year (maybe Venus indoors being the exception),
I'd pick Nastya over Venus "still no top ten wins this year" Williams anywhere right now... and if Lindsay continues to refuse to run anywhere, over her too. Serena... not so much, but then Serena's pretty special and elite herself.

she has already proven that she can lose to far lesser players.
Nastya's always been streaky... when she's bad, it's a bit of a nightmare regardless of who's on the other side of the net. But just because she can lose to lesser players doesn't mean that she can't beat the best.

She wouldn't be a clear cut favourite against most of the top ten at the moment (only Dementieva and Sugiyama being the exceptions). And if she isn't even the favourite against them then how on earth can she be bracketed above them?
There aren't that many completely clear-cut favourites in any of those match-ups, especially with Henin-Hardenne returning from illness. Right now, I'd back Nastya over Dementieva, Capriati, Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Sugiyama, and give her a fighting chance against Henin-Hardenne, Davenport and Mauresmo. Her advantage is that no one seriously owns her like JHH and Clijsters do Davenport.
 

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
Nastya's always been streaky... when she's bad, it's a bit of a nightmare regardless of who's on the other side of the net. But just because she can lose to lesser players doesn't mean that she can't beat the best.
Right, so It's OK for her to loose to people like Kapros, and her play to be a bit of a nightmare when she's bad, but you still put her in the "elite".

Yet, you don't put Lindsay in the elite coz she is restricted in her mobility, but (for like the 3 time in this thread) LEADS the race standings THIS YEAR?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top