Tennis Forum banner

Was Lindsay an overachiever?

• Yes, Lindsay overachieved.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • No, Lindsay's career reflected her tennis abilities.

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • No, Lindsay underachieved.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • No, Jon Wetheim is a complete idiot ;)

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe nobody's said anything about this quote from Wertheim:

SI.com: Lindsay Davenport has been talking retirement. How should she be remembered in tennis history?

Wertheim: Davenport was the glue that kept this tour together. She wasn't on magazine covers, she wasn't in catfights, or going out with rock stars, but she was the adult in the tennis world. It will be sad to see her go.

She was one of the great overachievers. It must be nice to retire and know that you've exceeded your expectations. Davenport was limited as an athlete, but she still managed to win three Slams, become No. 1 and play in the Olympics. Through it all she kept her sanity and was the voice of reason. It was easy to overlook her, but she was the grownup in this cast.
I love what he said about Lindsay as a person :hearts: .

And I agree with him that Davenport's athleticism was never her strong suit (ummm... duh). But I think her career accurately reflects her talent... three Slams, one WTA Tour Championships, an Olympic gold, 40 titles, #1 in the world (and that's all just for singles!). I think with the way she hit the ball, she could have even nabbed a couple more grand slams (injuries and the Williams sisters got in the way, it seems).

So what do you think... was Lindsay an overachiever?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vote! I decided to throw option four in for the hell of it :)

I personally don't think he's that bad myself (usually...), but since I know how so many people love his tennis commentary... ;)

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Lindsay won many titles and I am happy for every match and title she won! :hearts: She deserves all of them! Who the f... is this Wertheim guy? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
He just changes his mind every 30 seconds. Next week you can expect him to say that Lindsay completely underachived.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Joana said:
He just changes his mind every 30 seconds. Next week you can expect him to say that Lindsay completely underachived.
While on the subject of Wertheim, I can't take too seriously anyone who says Capriati has had a greater singles career (upto this point) than Sanchez-Vicario did! I think he's no good as a tennis analyst, and has no real knowledge of the game. He should stick to writing fluff pieces on the players and the shenanigans of their entourage/parents/agents -- he's better at that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's everyone's favorite tennis analyst ;)

He writes for Sports Illustrated... From what I've read, not anything too insightful, makes some good points and some serious mistakes. But nothing different from a lot of sports writers

:topic: Although, don't you think sports writers should be held accountable for those mistakes where they simply didn't look up a fact or result before writing? I absolutely hate that!

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
Lindsay has not over or under achieved.

Some of the comments he said were fair i suppose. But not many other players have done what Lindsay has done.

IMO - Lindsay's game (exept mental toughness and mobility) was the best of all time. No one could hit the ball better than her. If she had time to hit the ball when she was playing well, very few could beat her.

Like that match - USO 2001 against Serena, she almost won, but Serena's movement proved the key. If Lindsay could have been a good mover, I think she would have won many more titles and slams. But that is only my opinion, other people will think defferently of course :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
samn said:
I can't take too seriously anyone who says Capriati has had a greater singles career (upto this point) than Sanchez-Vicario did!
Wow, samn... that is pretty ridiculous. How could he overook those 4 GS titles, 30 WTA titles, and 22 SF or better showings at the slams (with at least 3 SF and one F appearance on each surface :eek: ).

You know, I bet he argued about the respective depth of the tour back then as compared to when Capriati won her 3 slams (which would be relevant in some ways, but how subjective can you make an argument? :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, let us know your opinions too! I want to hear why people believe that Lindsay overachieved, underachieved, whatever your opinion! :)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I think she has overachieved in the sense that she wasn't touted as the best young American of her generation, Chanda was as far as juniors go. LD was the one to win slams and reach #1 though. Also she was out of shape to begin with and probably no one expected her to get in the type of shape she would eventually get in and win slams and tons of titles.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
tterb said:
Wow, samn... that is pretty ridiculous. How could he overook those 4 GS titles, 30 WTA titles, and 22 SF or better showings at the slams (with at least 3 SF and one F appearance on each surface :eek: ).

You know, I bet he argued about the respective depth of the tour back then as compared to when Capriati won her 3 slams (which would be relevant in some ways, but how subjective can you make an argument? :rolleyes: )
Oh, no, his justification was that "Capriati is a better player than Sanchez-Vicario and would beat ASV more often than she'd lose to her." Then again, what can you expect from a hack who makes a list of the best volleyers ever in the women's game and leaves out Martina Navratilova? :rolleyes: I mean, WTFF?

Reactions: Joana

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
samn said:
Oh, no, his justification was that "Capriati is a better player than Sanchez-Vicario and would beat ASV more often than she'd lose to her." Then again, what can you expect from a hack who makes a list of the best volleyers ever in the women's game and leaves out Martina Navratilova? :rolleyes: I mean, WTFF?
Or someone who leaves ASV out of the list of best clay court players of the 90's? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lindsay, did not overachieve, with a bit more self belief and fire in her belly she would have been a great up with the legends. Her mobility, as everyone knows, was not her strong point but possibly some of that problem is related to how self conscious she was about her weight as a youngster. She just never developed the confidence to chase down balls and perhaps make herself look silly. All in all, 3 GS is is one hell of an achievement and rightfully she is proud of them but it could have been more.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG! Wow, Joana and samn... I guess he has made some pretty unforgivable errors!

You know, if he was arguing who was the better player, Capriati or ASV, that would be open to discussion and his opinion would have merit. But careers are based on results, things that actually happened... so it's not even close. But if he was going to argue that one or the other is a better tennis player, he needed something to back it up... Why would Capriati win most of the time she and ASV met? Better forehand? More power but equal footspeed? Because Wertheim says so... :rolleyes: ?

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Lindsay is not an overachiever by any means. She worked very hard to get herself into grand slam winnning shape and deserves full credit for her efforts.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Lindsay is not an overachiever! You dont win so many titles by chance! she worked hard, went on diet, improved her footwork, made a lot of sacrificies and fully deserved what she has got. Before Weirtheim, I never heard someone telling sth like that about Lindsay. Pretty the contrary...everyone says that she is the most underrated player!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lindsayfan said:
Before Weirtheim, I never heard someone telling sth like that about Lindsay. Pretty the contrary...everyone says that she is the most underrated player!
You know, I agree, I'd never heard it before either... But going by the poll results so far, just as many agree as disagree with him :confused: . Which is just fine, but could someone who feels Linds overachieved please explain your opinion? I certainly won't jump on you for it! :) As much as it might hurt you to agree with Wertheim, please, do fill us in... ;)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
she may have been an over achieve in-terms of expectation of what her career would be early on (i wasnt following tennis then so dont know) but no i dont think she was an over achiever, actually i think she underachieved mainly due to injury.

·
Professional Cynic
3,175 Posts
I think when people talk about Lindsay over-achieving, they mean in comparisson to what was expected of her at the start of her career. Like Knizzle says, she wasn't the hottest prospect as a junior and when she started playing on tour she wasn't in great shape, didn't move well, and it took a while for her results to really take off. So when people looked at her back then, they never predicted that she would achieve as much as she did.

Of course now we can say that she has worked hard, and fully deserves everything that she has achieved. As her career went on, and it became clearer what she was capable of, more achievement was expected of her and she met those expectations. I don't think by saying that she has over-achieved people mean that she simply got lucky, it's more that she has over-achieved compared to the expectations people had for her career when it first started.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts